Why am I losing such little amount of weight?

Options
Here is my problem. I have been exercising 6x a week for the last month. My exercise includes 70 minutes on the elliptical, averaging about 650 calories burned per session and about 30 minutes 5-6x a week of the Brazil Butt Lift workout. I started off weighing about 142 pounds and only came down to about 136. 6 pounds a month? I was expecting to lose much more considering I eat about 1000 calories/ day (healthy foods with the exception of a cookie here and there and a party day on Saturdays with alcohol) . Btw, I am 5'8 and trying to get down to 125. I was always slim but gained 15 pounds over the winter and I don't feel comfortable with my body. What am I doing wrong here? Its very frustrating that I am busting my butt at the gym daily and not seeing great results. I am also taking a daily multi vitamin, if that helps with anything. Please help!

p.s. I'm thinking of switching my diet to high-protein low carb. Good idea?

motivationtoloseit.blogspot.com -> NOT trying to promote, just want to show what I eat so maybe one person out there can give me some insight on what I could change.

Thanx a bunch!

Replies

• mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    You're going to get a ton of this but if you are burning 650 cals per day plus butt lift and only eating 1000 cals a day. you aren't eating enough and your body thinks its starving. So it won't lose any extra weight bc it needs what it has to survive. eat more.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    6 pounds in a month is quite good.

Are you tracking your food intake, or estimating?
  • traumaticthrash
    Options
    Hi there,

interesting post i believe your current weight lost rate is actually healthy. you are already slim as it is, so you wont see a drastic changed compared to someone who is a lot bigger.

i suggest you continue what you are doing, just eat below your maintenance. its the right way of doing things..

as for the Carb / Fat / Protein combo.. this really doesnt matter as long as you are hitting below your maintenance level.
    since you've lost about 6 pounds, your calorie intake would be lower than what it was before. check it up
  • jessiedell7
    Options
    So how many calories should I be eating? I don't want to eat too many and then gain weight. UGH! So frustrating!
  • jessiedell7
    Options
    I am tracking my food intake daily with LoseIt for iPhone. I find this app to be very helpful.
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    At your height and weight, 6lbs in a month is really good! I do believe that as the first lady said, you are eating too little calories and burning too many. I know, isn't that the key to weight loss?? I was doing something similar and plateaued after 5 weeks. Didn't see a loss for another 4 weeks. During the end of that 4th week, I upped my calories on MFP and now make sure to eat back around half of the calories I earn through exercise.
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Google a BMR calculator and figure out your BMR.

Google a TDEE calculator and figure out your TDEE.

Your NET calories (so, calories eaten minus calories burned through exercise) should never be less than BMR; ideally, 20% less than TDEE.

Use a food scale; measure your food; log everything.
  • amyx593
    Options
    If I were you and at your size, I would set my goal to 1200 cals per day and make sure to reach my NET calories or at least get close. Basically, eat 1200 calories... then eat back most of the calories burned through exercise. This might take a little time for your body to adjust, but it should reset your metabolism. Also try having a high calorie day or two to reset, then back to normal- that worked for me.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

Your NET calories (so, calories eaten minus calories burned through exercise) should never be less than BMR; ideally, 20% less than TDEE.

Close thread.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

^^^^THIS!!!!! You need to eat more, you have no fuel for your body to run!!
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Sigh.
  • amyx593
    Options

WHAT SHE SAID!
  • traumaticthrash
    Options

there we go.. once you get your calories figured based on your current weight then you;re set. but remember to always recalculate once you lose a couple of pounds, because then your calories would have to go slightly lower again.

Anyway, for your height. i think you're at a healthy weight. but whatever makes you happy as long as you're fit and healthy!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    6 pounds in a month is good. I'm losing weight at about that rate, and I'm happy with it. A lot of people yo-yo diet because they give up if they don't get immediate dramatic results, and it doesn't work that way. Read some of the success stories on here and pay attention to the part where they say how long it took them to get those results.
  • ajcmoran2005
    ajcmoran2005 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    6 pounds in a month is amazing, I would be thrilled! Like everyone else said, you really need to eat more. You are working way too hard without enough fuel.
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options

Close thread.

*takes a bow*
  • Bromard6
    Bromard6 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The distribution of fat in the waist area could very well be related to hormonal or genetic factors. Your calories seem low enough for rapid weight loss, and as some have said possibly so low as to trigger the body's starvation mechanism. Good luck...you do look pretty awesome as is.
  • jessiedell7
    Options
    Thanx everybody for your replies! Very helpful! I will try this out for 2 week and see what my results will be. Thanx again!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    6 pounds in a month is quite good.

Are you tracking your food intake, or estimating?

This^ ..... 6 pounds is great.

As we get closer to goal weight loss slows....... smaller people burn/require fewer calories

Range of pounds per week
    75+ lbs to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs to lose 1.0 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs range
  • txladybug41
    txladybug41 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Bump... I'm keeping this to be reminded of the BMR/TDEE information. Thanks for sharing.