My blender sucks! Product suggestions?

Options
jaimrlx
jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
Hey all! I start my morning with protein powder, and currently just blend it with instant coffee, water and ice in an all purpose blender. My blender is getting old, a pain to clean, and starting to rust.

Since I'm about ready to replace it, I thought I should ask: What do you use to blend your shakes? Do you use a blender, or something else? I was looking into getting a Magic Bullet, but wasn't sure how well they'd work. My glasses are normally 16 oz (which is about a scoop with the coffee, water & ice).

Suggestions appreciated, thanks in advance! :drinker:

P.S... If I could it for other things that would be awesome.. but isn't necessary.

Replies

• tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    The most awesomest blender of all time is probably the Vitamix Commercial blender. It costs $400+ and it's probably too much for just blending protein drinks. It's versatile enough to make HOT soups, peanut butter and a lot of other things.

I have a Magic Bullet and it's pretty handy for smaller jobs. If all you're going to be doing is blending protein shakes, I recommend a simple blender bottle with the blender ball. It's available at GNC, Walmart, Target... and plenty of other places.
  • apothecarist
    apothecarist Posts: 193
    Options
    Personally, I'd recommend the Vitamix. Love that thing!
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I started with a Magic Bullet (the one that runs about $60 on sale, with the various colored lids, etc.), and I found it didn't do the job. Couldn't really blend ice, or even frozen blueberries, and chia seeds, well at all. I'd have chunks in my non-smooth smoothie.

I turned it in and got the larger, more powerful Nutri Bullet. Same company, but the unit is larger and has about twice as much power. I LOVE it. Couldn't believe the difference. This one runs about $100 at Bed/Bath/Beyond, but if you find a 20% off coupon, it's just a bit more than the cheaper Magic Bullet. Totally worth it. I use it every day. It mulches chia seeds, ice, frozen fruit, everything.

Get the best you can afford---really, you get what you pay for with these things.
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I love my Ninja.
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I can tell you what I DON'T recommend, and that's the Cuisinart Soup Maker & Blender. At that price point it should be able to make smoothies without leaving giants chunks behind - but nope. Every time I try to make a smoothie, no matter how long I blend it there will be chunks left behind. No matter how I add in the ingredients. No matter if I use fresh or frozen fruit. No matter if I poor it into a glass, see the chunks, pour it back into the blender, and blend it again... the chunks will always be there. Oh and the heating element makes it kind of a b*tch to clean as well. The $30 blender I had before this one was infinitely better. Fortunately it was a gift, but I still feel bad that my dad's money went towards such a crummy product. When I get around to upgrading I'll be opting for the Vitamix, as other have recommended.
  • kale_bait
    kale_bait Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Get a Vitamix! They're definitely worth the money. I would recommend a 5200 or two speed. QVC offers payment plans :)
  • nanook37
    nanook37 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have a Blendtec and it is great - I got it for around $250 which is pretty expensive for a blender but cheap for a Blendtec or Vitamix. Both the Blendtec and Vitamix should last for many many years and can do lots of stuff that other blenders cant (such as make hot soup by heating the liquid from the blades going so fast...)
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I really recommend a Vitamix or Blend tec.

I bought an old Vitamix for about 160 from an ice cream shop that was going out of business. It looks like hell and sometimes you have to stir the ingredients after pulsing, but it absolutely shreds everything delightfully fine. I don't mind that it still smells like ice cream !

Try to get a blender that will last forever.

Blend tec - cell phone :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifzdez7FRbk
  • jaimrlx
    Options
    I love my Ninja.

I'm really, really tempted to get this one.

http://www.ninjakitchen.com/mega-kitchen-system/microsite_int1.shtml

Vitamix compared to Ninja, the Ninja seems a better deal for doing more - but that doesn't speak to quality.

Has anyone used both?
  • Juka80
    Juka80 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Ninja! Love mine. Makes awesome frosty. :)
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    My dad got me a GNC blender (http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13026264) for Christmas of 2011. Tiny little thing, but it was perfect for blending protein shakes and didn't take up hardly any space in my miniscule kitchen. I used it almost daily, and sometimes 2-3 times daily, for a year and a half before the motor finally gave out. I've been looking around for another small blender, but I'll probably just get this one again.
  • WiDale
    WiDale Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Nutri Bullet. The Magic Bullet in theory is perfect, but it is a little underpowered if everything you are doing is frozen. I have one that I use for a little of everything, but if using primarily as a shake blender, I would go with the Nutri in a heartbeat.
  • jaimrlx
    Options
    If all you're going to be doing is blending protein shakes, I recommend a simple blender bottle with the blender ball. It's available at GNC, Walmart, Target... and plenty of other places.

I actually have a blender bottle and hate it. I have to sit there and shake it for what seems an eternity, and I still get chunks! It's likely my cheap-ish protein powder... which is also my favorite and I don't want to switch. :tongue:
  • WaxMama
    WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have had my Oster MyBlend Blender for, oh, about 6 months now and LOVE it! I use it every single day, no problems. The best part? It was only $25!!! AND you can purchase extra bottles for it. So, basically, you put everything in the bottle and twist on the blender blades, press it down onto the base to blend (there is no button), then remove it from the base and remove the blades. Twist on the top and you're out the door! I love that it's all-in-one so you don't have to worry about cleaning the blender and the cup you use. Would I love a Ninja or a Vitamix? Of course! But if you're looking for something that's inexpensive, easy to use, blends well and is pretty stylish, I'd highly recommend this one!!! :drinker:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/15777387?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000666011&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=30062504230&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem
  • sandywerks
    sandywerks Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Love the Nutri Bullet. Perfect for protein shakes and easy to clean. Tossed out the cheap blender I had before.
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine life without my Vitamix. I swear, I use it more than my car! That said, for years I had a cheap Oster from Target that was fine for protein powder and frozen bananas.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I have a Blendtec and it is great - I got it for around $250 which is pretty expensive for a blender but cheap for a Blendtec or Vitamix. Both the Blendtec and Vitamix should last for many many years and can do lots of stuff that other blenders cant (such as make hot soup by heating the liquid from the blades going so fast...)
    I also have a Blendtec and I love it. :)
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    We wore our Ninja(s) out making protein shakes and other stuff pretty much daily for several years. It had gotten to where it would just swirl ingredients around in a circle but not actually mix them. So we recently invested in a commercial Vitamix and it's amazing. But if you don't want to spend $400-ish, I heard the nutribullet is great too.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Another vote here for NutriBullet. I use mine daily - it's powerful, easy to use, easy to clean, inexpensive.
  • mylast5lbs
    mylast5lbs Posts: 25
    Options
    Kitchenaid. My neighbor has one and likes it.