My plan

Options
Hi there,

I want to lose 7lbs in the next 5 weeks.
I am 28yrs old, 5ft3 and weight 8.11.
I am going to do cardio at the gym for 40 mins 3 or 4 times a week. I am planning on having about 900 calories a day as follows;

Breakfast - whey protein & skimmed milk (120 cals)
Snack - apple (50 cals)
Lunch - small wholemeal turkey sandwich (210 cals)
Snack before gym - whey protein & skimmed milk (120 cals)
Dinner - chicken breast & basmatti rice with pepper and onion (350 cals)

I'm pretty fussy about food and find it very difficult to eat healthy, I don't really like meat or veg. Also I mostly sit down all day at work.

What I would like to know is;
1. Is this healthy?
2. Will this work?
3. What changed could I make to speed up my wieght loss?

Thank you,
Hannah x

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If I'm reading this right:
    you're planning to EAT 900 calories and then do cardio??
    So you're planning to NET around...500 calories a day?

No. Not healthy.

Why not use MFP? Follow what it says?
    (it won't let you NET fewer than 1200, just to give you a comparison)
  • Jemellc
    Jemellc Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Agree
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    900 calories a day...

1. Is this healthy?
    No!

2. Will this work?
    It might. It might not.

Eat a sufficient number of calories. Drink a lot of water.

7 lbs in 5 weeks is 1.4 lbs per week. That's completely doable - you don't have to starve yourself! You should NEVER EVER EVER go below 1200 calories per day, and that's even too low.

Now that I think of it....I'm assuming 8.11 is your weight in stones. That's 113 lbs. At 5'3", your ideal weight is 115 lbs. You don't need to lose weight, so 7 lbs in 5 weeks probably won't happen. Your body isn't going to give up 7 lbs when it doesn't have 7 lbs to give.
  • believe22
    believe22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    1. Is this healthy? Nope

2. Will this work? Yes, you will lose weight, if you stick to it. But you'll gain the second you up your calories.

3. What changed could I make to speed up my wieght loss? It's not a race
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    900 calories a day...

1. Is this healthy?
    No!

2. Will this work?
    It might. It might not.

Eat a sufficient number of calories. Drink a lot of water.

7 lbs in 5 weeks is 1.4 lbs per week. That's completely doable - you don't have to starve yourself! You should NEVER EVER EVER go below 1200 calories per day, and that's even too low.

Now that I think of it....I'm assuming 8.11 is your weight in stones. That's 113 lbs. At 5'3", your ideal weight is 115 lbs. You don't need to lose weight, so 7 lbs in 5 weeks probably won't happen. Your body isn't going to give up 7 lbs when it doesn't have 7 lbs to give.
    8 stone 11 is more like 123.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Don't do it!
  • hskellam
    hskellam Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi everyone, thank you for your replies!

If I had more chicken, brown bread and more fruit to get it to 1200 would that be healthy? I have tried in the past to stick to 1200 but I didn't drop any weight. I've found over time that unless I go under 1000 I don't seem to lose anything and I think it could be because I don't burn much energy at work.

x
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Hi everyone, thank you for your replies!

If I had more chicken, brown bread and more fruit to get it to 1200 would that be healthy? I have tried in the past to stick to 1200 but I didn't drop any weight. I've found over time that unless I go under 1000 I don't seem to lose anything and I think it could be because I don't burn much energy at work.

x
    Give this a read:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    This is a terrible idea. At the very least, net 1200.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    you mean 900 for breakfast right?

you can't tell your body how fast to lose. make a workout and menu plan. strive for consistency.
    understand your TDEE and how it works. This doesn't have to be torture or unfun.
    Do workouts you enjoy without excessive cardio, some strength training of some kind,
    and eat healthy food you like.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to lose weight? Your BMI is 21 which is normal. Think about fitness not weight loss. Eat a good amount and fuel yourself to do some exercise a mixture of cardio and weights. You'll then tone up. You do not need to lose weight and starve yourself in the process
  • PomegranatePear
    PomegranatePear Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're a very healthy weight already. I agree that 900 calories a day is not enough, ESPECIALLY if you're doing all that cardio. It can be good to ask yourself WHY do you want to lose weight? If there are things you want to change about your body what about working on different areas in the gym or adding a bit of sculpting exercise like pilates to your cardio. Stay healthy and don't get too hung up on the numbers (of calories or pounds) and be careful because losing weight too quickly isn't sustainable and messes with your metabolism.
  • shannonmarie752487
    Options
    I would say this idea would help jump start a diet, and I might try having a couple low calorie days here and there, especially if I'm not too active on those days. But, I have found through too much unfortunate experience that it is much better to find a diet that works for your life and your health needs that you can stick to for life rather than just to temporarily lose some weight. Because the weight will definitely come back if the new diet is not something you love. I am betting that you will have no trouble losing two pounds a week eating between 1,200 and 1,500 calories, especially with the workouts you have planned. No sense in starving yourself every day.
  • x4mygirlsx
    x4mygirlsx Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    im 5'3 and 138lbs, I average 1600 cals and I am still losing weight and I also suffer from a thyroid problem (hashimotos) 900 is way too low.
  • kkclif
    kkclif Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I did low carb and lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks. Maybe try that as an alternative? I do the 30 day shred, some days I do the eliptical as well or go on a bike ride. I don't eat my exercise calories back. Usually consume 1200-1400 a day.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    watch this video is very good for you

In this BioLayne Video Log we discuss Metabolic Damage. What is it? How does it occur? How can you prevent it? And how can you recover from it if it's already happened to you? All these questions are discussed in the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHzie6XRGk
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Most people that think they need to lose weight when they are at a 'healthy weight' actually need to work on changing their body composition, building more muscle, and possibly losing a little fat.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Most people that think they need to lose weight when they are at a 'healthy weight' actually need to work on changing their body composition, building more muscle, and possibly losing a little fat.
    Exactly