AVOCADOS~~!!!

Options

Replies

• muppetfan13
    muppetfan13 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Love avocados! I am going to start incorporating 1/2 an avocado per day into my diet again. Question for those of you who do this: how do you keep the other half from going brown until the next day? Anyone have a foolproof method of avocado preservation?
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    So I bought one, I have no clue what to do with it, so I'm reading through here to see what the best way is to try it first (raw vs putting it on something) to even see if I like it or not. LOL!!!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mandi_444
    mandi_444 Posts: 156
    Options
    Love avocados! I am going to start incorporating 1/2 an avocado per day into my diet again. Question for those of you who do this: how do you keep the other half from going brown until the next day? Anyone have a foolproof method of avocado preservation?

Keep the half with the seed in it... rub some lemon juice on it. May turn a little brown, but it's okay.

If it does go brown, you can still eat it. It just changes color, still tastes yummy.
  • kevinjb1
    kevinjb1 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    in my green smoothies, in place of mayo for egg salad, top my chicken breast, great on a burger, in a turkey club, on whole wheat toast with avacado and sugar free strawberry jam, cut it in half, sprinkle generously with black pepper and eat with a spoon
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I looooooooove avocados. I tend to eat them with a pinch of salt and have 1 whole avocado a day.
  • ShaJustSha
    ShaJustSha Posts: 10
    Options
    When I make deviled eggs, I replace the mayo with avocado... YUMMY!! Of course they are brown the next day but who cares!!!

A squeeze of lemon or lime juice will keep it from turning brown. :)
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    My top two favorite avocado combinations (use any way you want): avocado with smoked salmon, and avocado with balsamic vinegar.
  • Bunniculette
    Bunniculette Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I always keep avocados in the fridge at work... if I'm hungry I have a healthy snack on hand instead of being tempted by the vending machine!

In fact, I'm going to go eat one right now
  • thethreestrings
    Options
    Bumping for ideas:)
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm making fajitas right now with avocado in them.

Great minds. We're having the same for dinner.
  • choochoobell
    choochoobell Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I am not a huge avocado fan but my mom is super into them.
    She makes open faced toasted sandwiches with sliced tomato, sliced avocado, light cheese, salt and pepper.
  • syvalleygirl
    syvalleygirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've just started to incorporate avocados into my diet...along with extra virgin olive oil. For the past 20 years I avoided the goodness of avocados thinking that they will only make me fatter. Hah, a lot of good that did. Now I am going to include this food in my diet because I want healthy "fats" and I feel certain this is the right track for me. I made a salad last night for dinner with the following from the Farmer's Market: Diced avocado, heirloom tomatoes, baby cucumbers, fresh mozzerella -- drizzeled in a little olive oil, lemon, and balsamic vinegar.
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I've just started to incorporate avocados into my diet...along with extra virgin olive oil. For the past 20 years I avoided the goodness of avocados thinking that they will only make me fatter. Hah, a lot of good that did. Now I am going to include this food in my diet because I want healthy "fats" and I feel certain this is the right track for me. I made a salad last night for dinner with the following from the Farmer's Market: Diced avocado, heirloom tomatoes, baby cucumbers, fresh mozzerella -- drizzeled in a little olive oil, lemon, and balsamic vinegar.

Oh my - yummy...and that's going to be my dinner. Thanks!
  • sandy_jane
    sandy_jane Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    on my god i love avacados and forgot i can eat them now i have had my gallbladder out thanks for the reminder guys!
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I love Avocados.
    I live in Springfield, Mo and the avocados we have been getting are hard.
    Heard you can put them in a Paper Sack and they will ripen, so that is what I am doing.

I Love Avocados. When I fix me a Blt, I use the mashed avocado on my bread instead of mayo

I heard yesterday about having an Avocado Smoothie.
    Has anyone tried that, if so , Could I have the Recipe
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I eat tons of avocados! LOVE them! I add them in salads or use mashed avocado in place of mayo on sandwiches.
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I tried avacado for the 1st time yesterday raw, I have had it in guacamole but obv thats mixed with different stuff. OMG its DELISH. Was a little unsure at first as i am funny with food textures but the taste YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. One problem tho... I went to eat the other half today that i had put in a tupperware box in fridge and its gone brown and looks far from appealing so i never ate it :( will just have to buy smaller one and eat a whole one in future.

I cannot believe i have not tried it sooner. But at least its in my life now <3