Forget about the macros?!

Options
I've been doing really well for the past couple of weeks with my eating and exercising, and I'm currently maintaining at about 132, but would love to eventually get to around 130. For now, I'm mainly focused on measurements though! Anyways, I was wondering if one day of going over on your macros but under your calories could cause any problems? Like, say I work out really hard, and then eat a burrito which takes me way over on carbs but still under in calories: does it really matter that much?

I wanted to treat myself to some taco truck hahaha

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    If it's once in a while it doesn't matter. Ideally you should get at least 1g protein per pound of lean tissue, at least .35g fat per pound of body weight, and carbs are a matter of personal preference.
  • jennagoogles13
    Options
    Bump
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There are very few foods or combinations of foods that you can eat for one day that will make a difference in the long run.
  • jennagoogles13
    Options
    Ok. Getting Mexican food is a very rare occurence for me, so I'm planning on enjoying my burrito:laugh:
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Here's my take on it: Humans have been eating for thousands of years without the foggiest notion of macro nutrients. The membership of MFP is all over the map with regard to macros. Every group seems to find success (or failure) in pursuing their goals. While I keep a faint eye on my macros, I try not to let them rule my eating. (That's how I ended up eating 160g of turkey breast the other day. Bleh.) Enjoy your food!
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I never pay attention to my macros, have not gained any weight, and have been doing MFP for about a year and a half.

I dont eat carb heavy foods or foods loaded in sodium unless I'm eating out somewhere and it has never made a difference as long as my calories have been under control.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if one day of going over on your macros but under your calories could cause any problems
    I don't think one day of any splurge would hurt anything. it might even help some people to feel less deprived so they don't fall off the wagon entirely. It's the day after day that kills you.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    One day of not hitting your macros won't have a negative effect. The only thing you may notice is that if you are on a lower carb diet, and you have a day where you take in a lot more carbs than normal, you might wake up the next morning a pound or two heavier. Don't worry, it is only an increase in water weight due to increased glycogen. You didn't get fatter, although you might even look fuller from the excess water. Carbs convert to glycogen, and there are about 4 grams of water for every gram of glycogen stored. What I recommend is implementing a high carb day in your diet. Its a day you can look forward to, where you will eat more carbs and not feel guilty because its planned out in advance. Don't fret over any weight gain. I sometimes have swings of 3-5 pounds depending on my carb intake the day after my carb up day, but again, its water weight (sometimes 7 pounds).

One other recommendation is to just make the burrito fit in your macros. Unless you are very limited in your caloric intake, you can make the burrito fit. Flexible dieting is a wonderful thing. No need to deprive yourself of certain foods. IIFYM!