Fuel for running

Options
2»

Replies

• daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify. I have been doing the C25K program and I am two days away from completing it which means I have been at it for about two months. When I did the 28 minute run on Sat my legs were able to push through but Tues I failed miserably. I just felt like they wouldn't push me any further and I really did push as long as I could before finally reverting back to walking. I know that with time my legs will become stronger and able to push through. I just thought that maybe I needed something to give me a boost to get me through the run. I run Tues/Thurs/Sat so I do take rest days in between and I am running at a slow pace.

Thanks so much for all of your advice, I can use all the help I can get. I now consider myself a runner and want to set myself up to continue to push myself further and be successful.

BeachGinger-I don't know if I should be drinking beer before I run, that could be dangerous :)

Goodtime-You are my new best friend. No one has ever recommended eating more carbs and I love carbs!!!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It likely has nothing to do with what you are or aren't eating just before your run. You are still new, and getting up near where you are pushing harder than you have. Summer is here(probably) and heat could make you tired. Also are your calories in general very low? Are you keeping a large deficit per day? That will sap your energy as well.
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    It likely has nothing to do with what you are or aren't eating just before your run. You are still new, and getting up near where you are pushing harder than you have. Summer is here(probably) and heat could make you tired. Also are your calories in general very low? Are you keeping a large deficit per day? That will sap your energy as well.

I agree with this. Sometimes you just have to push through the tired legs. I get tired when I start too fast. I have to learn to start slower and speed up from there.
  • oliviabog
    oliviabog Posts: 101
    Options
    My 63 year old step dad can run a 5 min/ mile, a marathon... Anything. He swears by hot cross buns 2 hours before running as they have the correct ratio of carbs and fats.

I've not tried it personally but damn that guy can run. I find if I'm going on a 5 mile or more then something containing complex carbs and fats helps 1.5/ 2 hours before and i usually take an electrolyte drink with me for when i start to feel fatigued during.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess that it's not what you're eating, but it's that you're running too fast.

Slow down...

I'd have to agree..even when I did c25k a year ago, I never ' fuelled' especially for the run I was about to do.

Try slowing down a little and/or incorporating some walking breaks and build your endurance.

By all means when you start running longer distances and longer times, look to fine tune how to fuel specifically for the training/race you have in mind.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I've just started training for a half marathon and used a website to calculate a training plan for me, based on my recent 10K time of 1 hour 6 mins. When I looked at my training plan it was telling me to run at a pace of 12.5 minute miles. This seemed REALLY slow to me and I couldn't understand it when I usually comfortably run at 10-10.5 minute miles. BUT, talking to a marathon-running friend, she explained that when you increase your running distance, you need to get your legs used to running for long periods of time first rather than covering longer distances first. So, by running shorter distances slower, it will take longer and you will adjust better.

I mention this because you are also increasing your distance and maybe running too fast - your legs just can't cope with distance AND speed right now. Build it up. Hope that makes sense!
  • sutyakm
    sutyakm Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    A few people on here have hit the nail on the head. It's not what you eat before your run, it's just that you're not used to running. It's also far more important what you ate the day before than what you ate 2 hours ago.
    I've run some of my best 5K times on an empty stomach. I also ran 10 miles the other day on eggs and sausage (zero carbs), which also shoots down the over-hyped claim that carbs are king for runners. I personally run much better on a 40/40/20 protein/fat/carb diet.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    A piece of fruit about 15 minutes before your run.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I am a new runner, can currently run for 28 minutes straight. During my runs I am able to breathe fine but my legs get really tired and I push through it to complete but it is really becoming a struggle. I run right after work before I eat dinner so I am wondering what the best fuel is to get me and my tired legs through the runs a little easier. When and what should I eat/drink prior to running. I am hoping to keep whatever it is at or under 200 calories if possible. Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated.

My sense is that if you are eating properly throughout the day, then you should have plenty of reserves for a run of that length. The issue is more one of condition, as opposed to fuel, Imho. However, it might help (mentally) to eat a banana or pop a gu, but realize there is some value in just gutting things out on occasion. The physiological adaptations take time..enjoy the ride!

Good luck!
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I've just started training for a half marathon and used a website to calculate a training plan for me, based on my recent 10K time of 1 hour 6 mins. When I looked at my training plan it was telling me to run at a pace of 12.5 minute miles. This seemed REALLY slow to me and I couldn't understand it when I usually comfortably run at 10-10.5 minute miles. BUT, talking to a marathon-running friend, she explained that when you increase your running distance, you need to get your legs used to running for long periods of time first rather than covering longer distances first. So, by running shorter distances slower, it will take longer and you will adjust better.

I mention this because you are also increasing your distance and maybe running too fast - your legs just can't cope with distance AND speed right now. Build it up. Hope that makes sense!

I like this advice a lot. I did C25K and did manage to run my practice route in under 30 a few times (though at an actual race I was slightly over :/ ). Now I am doing longer runs and my pace is dropping - just under 11/mile for 10k and 11:15 for 10 miles. When I look at breakdowns of my runs (I use endomondo) I see that the ones where I made it the entire distance without stopping or walking were the ones with the most consistent mile times. The flip side of that is that some walking mixed in didn't have much effect on time; instead of a bunch of 11 minute miles I would have a mix of 10s and 13s that averaged out to about 11.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    It's also far more important what you ate the day before than what you ate 2 hours ago.
    I've run some of my best 5K times on an empty stomach.

Exactly right for runs less than about 11 miles. For longer runs fueling close to or during the run can become more important.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I am a new runner, can currently run for 28 minutes straight. During my runs I am able to breathe fine but my legs get really tired and I push through it to complete but it is really becoming a struggle. I run right after work before I eat dinner so I am wondering what the best fuel is to get me and my tired legs through the runs a little easier. When and what should I eat/drink prior to running. I am hoping to keep whatever it is at or under 200 calories if possible. Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated.

I would suggest slowing down and limiting the days/week that you are running to 3-4. Give your legs some time to recoup if you are just starting. Also, some nice long stretching after a run will do wonders for leg pain. And one last tip that works for me is a little bump of protein after running to help the muscles heal faster.
  • jlcl119
    jlcl119 Posts: 51
    Options
    I like a piece of fruit about 45 minutes before I run.

How's your water intake? For myself, if I'm not hydrated enough, I can't run regardless of how well-carbed I am. I need to make sure my water intake stays high, 8 glasses before I run (though nothing 1.5 hours before hand) as well as 4 while I run. And this is every time.

Maybe you're the same way, maybe not. Either way, something to think about.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    It could also be that some runs are just like that for any number of factors: not enough sleep, not enough food, higher temp\humidity. I have done runs many times fasted for 15 or more hours, and had no problem (up to around one hour runs). Not that it would hurt to have a little snack if you think it would help. Also, another vote for making sure you are well-hydrated. I don't drink during runs, but I make sure I drink a lot all day.
  • HeatherBittner
    HeatherBittner Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Bump for all the great advice.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Thanks again everyone! You all had great suggestions/advice for me. I did eat a banana an hour before and slowed my pace a bit and was able to complete my run tonight no problem. I guess I just need to keep at it and it will become more natural for me. I will take all of your advice and encouragement as I continue to run!!!
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    When I started C25k a couple years ago, hydration had a WAY bigger affect on my running than what I ate. You shouldn't really need to "fuel" to run 30 min / 5k. Maybe not even 1 hour / 10k. In fact, I have to make sure I don't eat very much prior to any running. Making sure you hydrate day before, and then all day long, is going to make a big difference. Especially as summer is here and temps are heating up. Happy running!
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I tried something new (to me) last night. My running shorts are gym shorts with pockets and are loose enough that I won't crush something in the pocket. I peeled a clementine, separated the sections and put them in an open sandwich bag in one pocket. I ate it during an 8 mile run, just popping a section into my mouth every mile or so. I think this is going to become a regular habit.