Sugar intake limits are impossible!!

Options
alsaxon
alsaxon Posts: 124 Member
Are the daily limits for sugar referring to added sugar only? I sure hope so, because after I eat one or two pieces of fruit and a plain yogurt, I'm already drastically over the limit. I am always over my limit. On a average day I take in about 50 to 60 grams, most of that being from natural sources. I wish they would change the wording to say added sugars if that's what it means, because seeing myself over that so-called daily limit is discouraging.

Replies

• Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm in for people's views on this too. I have no real reason to worry about how much sugar I take in, as long as I don't go over on calories. I eat virtually 0 junk food and still can go over my sugar pretty early on with a couple pieces of fruit. I don't even consume dairy, so I'm not getting the sugar from that either. It would just be nice to stop seeing those numbers in the red!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Are the daily limits for sugar referring to added sugar only? I sure hope so, because after I eat one or two pieces of fruit and a plain yogurt, I'm already drastically over the limit. I am always over my limit. On a average day I take in about 50 to 60 grams, most of that being from natural sources. I wish they would change the wording to say added sugars if that's what it means, because seeing myself over that so-called daily limit is discouraging.

Care to enlighten us on the differences between added and sugars from natural sources, take sucrose found in your sugar jar vs sucrose form an apple
  • delaniag
    delaniag Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes, I completely agree with other posts on this topic, I'm over my sugar limit almost every day as well. It is really almost impossible to only consume 28g per day, which is my goal number. I've eaten breakfast and lunch so far today and I'm already in the red at -2 grams. However, I can easily keep under my daily calorie limits. Can somebody shed some light on this topic?? Thanks so much!!
  • ldstrange
    ldstrange Posts: 17
    Options
    I removed sugar from my categories and added saturated fat which seemed more useful to me. The sugar limitation was way too low unless you plan on eating sawdust and eggs. Who cares about sugar (other than diabetics) it's calories that matter to me.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    vQjNxHz.gif

WM6H7d4.gif
  • soxfan2184
    soxfan2184 Posts: 48
    Options
    Cut down on food that contains sugar all types it's unhealthy
    & it will be harder to lose weight.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I just now noticed that. Right before seeing your post, I added Sugar to report and I have 2 grams left for the day! WTH? From eating 2 bananas today? That means I would have to have just protein and veggies for dinner. Which, I guess sounds like a good idea, but I was planning on a taco salady sort of thing. And God forbid I try to satisfy my sweet tooth by eating an orange tonight for dessert. Ugh. I am sorry I even looked now.
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    Don't watch it, don't care. I watch calories and protein. The sugar goal is a joke IMHO. Almost all of the literature I have read says eat fruit to your hearts content unless you have dietary restrictions. The health benefits of fruit far outweigh any perceived sugar excess.

Serious bodybuilders probably watch their macros closer, but for a general nobody like me, it works.

Just had blood workups done and everything was fantastic and I eat tons of fruit. Its your call, of course.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    a plain yogurt
    1. milk has sugar, generally the lower the fat content the higher the sugar content and 2. if it's anything other than a plain yogurt it probably has lots of sugar added.

You can change your macros if it bothers you, but unless it's making it hard to progress I wouldn't worry about sugar from fruits. Mostly I would worry about little debbies and candy bars. (but you can keep your sugars below 30 if you eat mostly whole foods with some fruit - mine was under 30 yesterday and that's with cantelope and a sweet potato).
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I took that tab out and added fiber because of medical reasons.

After one banana I'm over for the day. So I stopped following, since my doctor says I have no need to watch sugars.
  • Myxalplyx
    Myxalplyx Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I am with you all on this. I used to hate seeing my sugar go into the red, especially right after breakfast (Kashi cereal, banana and 2% milk and Prune juice with vitamins killed me). It is possible though. I started eating meat, eggs and vegetables first thing in the morning and for lunch. I have a protein shake for dinner. All this for testing and the sugar stays under the limit....for the first time ever. It's a good feeling.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options

Care to enlighten us on the differences between added and sugars from natural sources, take sucrose found in your sugar jar vs sucrose form an apple

Um, sucrose (disaccharide) is not the same as the major sugar found in an apple (fructose, monosaccharide)
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I don't track it. I track fiber instead.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I don't track it at all, only eat fruit , other benetfits of fruit far outweigh the sugar. Hasn't hindered my weight loss or maintenance for over a year. (I mean most of my sugar comes from fruit/veg, not that I only eat fruit.)
  • alsaxon
    alsaxon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    All of your responses helped me so much! Thank you! I'm not gonna worry about it as long as I'm getting most of it from natural sources.
  • mnflame
    mnflame Posts: 24
    Options
    Sugars are part of your carbohydrates. I don't track it because if I had a fruit shake for breakfast in the morning, I was already over and it was driving me crazy. I asked on my page and the general consensus was that, unless you have diabetes or another health concern, as long as you're staying under your cals and your carbs, you should be ok...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Don't track sugar. Seriously.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I don't worry too much if I go over, but I usually don't. I eat a lot of protein and vegetables, with few processed carbs, and some fruit every day. I get 43g a day and I'm usually in the 20-50 range. A lot of sugar wreaks havoc on my energy levels. If your energy is great and you are losing weight, then don't worry about it.

Veggies tend to have the same or more vitamins and nutrients than fruit without the added sugar. You don't NEED fruit, though it is good for you in moderation and delicious.
  • Casilibre
    Casilibre Posts: 21
    Options
    Everything in moderation. :)
    I like to track my sugar, even though the majority of my sugar comes from fruit/dairy. I too hated seeing it go into the red, so I just went into "Goals" and personalized them. You can put it in any number for sugars. I put in 45g, and with exercise you get more. Problem solved, as I usually don't go over 50g or so.
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    unless you have a medical reason that you need to track sugar, and are just eating fruit, dairy, etc instead of candy or soda, I wouldn't track it.

as a diabetic, I track it and you learn that a piece of fruit can sky-rocket my sugar levels and spike my blood sugar. Still there are a lot of good things in the fruits as well, so its worth it most the time, you just can't have a whole bunch of bananas. Also fruit juices are pretty bad, you are just getting the sugar and few if any of the other benefits.