I think I have Platoed Help??

Options
I have lost 15lbs so far but now I think I have platoed my weight doesn't seem to change any, I started walking everynight and I watch what I eat is there anything I can do to break this cycle?

Help???

Replies

• bethany41h
    bethany41h Posts: 218
    Options
    If you have been doing the same workout, I'd suggest changing it up a bit. Maybe add a little weight training if you are not already. Make sure you are eating enough... or make sure you are logging everything. Sometimes weighing out food can really help because guessing can really slow down the progress. Just a couple suggestions!
  • NathanFronk
    NathanFronk Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If buying a training session isn't an option, start doing squats and get on the row machine.

The row machine is probably the most underused piece of machinery in the gym, but might be the greatest full body workout exercise you can do. And because you likely have never used it before it'll blast your plateau into smithereens.

Ask someone to show you proper form or watch youtube videos. It's actually fun and different.

Start with this:

1 set:

1) row 750 m at a moderate pace

2) run 1/10th mile

3) 15 squats

3 sets:

1) row 500 m (first one at a moderate pace, 2nd and 3rd at a good clip)

2) jog a 1/10th mile

3) 10 pull-ups (use a machine with as much assistance as necessary)

4) 10 push-ups
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you showed a loss? My philosophy is that if it is under a month, it isn't necessarily a plato.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,086 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you showed a loss? My philosophy is that if it is under a month, it isn't necessarily a plato.

That's a very deep thought. Almost philosophical.

Thank you, Contrarian.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I hope this helps.

Plato (/ˈpleɪtoʊ/;[2] Greek: Πλάτων, Plátōn, "broad";[3] 428/427 BC[a] – 348/347 BC) was a philosopher in Classical Greece. He was also a mathematician, student of Socrates, writer of philosophical dialogues, and founder of the Academy in Athens, the first institution of higher learning in the Western world. Along with his mentor, Socrates, and his student, Aristotle, Plato helped to lay the foundations of Western philosophy and science.[4] In the words of A. N. Whitehead:
    The safest general characterization of the European philosophical tradition is that it consists of a series of footnotes to Plato. I do not mean the systematic scheme of thought which scholars have doubtfully extracted from his writings. I allude to the wealth of general ideas scattered through them.[5]
    Plato's sophistication as a writer is evident in his Socratic dialogues; thirty-six dialogues and thirteen letters have been ascribed to him. Plato's writings have been published in several fashions; this has led to several conventions regarding the naming and referencing of Plato's texts.[6] Plato's dialogues have been used to teach a range of subjects, including philosophy, logic, ethics, rhetoric, religion and mathematics. Plato is one of the most important founding figures in Western philosophy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plato
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I hope this helps.

Plato (/ˈpleɪtoʊ/;[2] Greek: Πλάτων, Plátōn, "broad";[3] 428/427 BC[a] – 348/347 BC) was a philosopher in Classical Greece. He was also a mathematician, student of Socrates, writer of philosophical dialogues, and founder of the Academy in Athens, the first institution of higher learning in the Western world. Along with his mentor, Socrates, and his student, Aristotle, Plato helped to lay the foundations of Western philosophy and science.[4] In the words of A. N. Whitehead:
    The safest general characterization of the European philosophical tradition is that it consists of a series of footnotes to Plato. I do not mean the systematic scheme of thought which scholars have doubtfully extracted from his writings. I allude to the wealth of general ideas scattered through them.[5]
    Plato's sophistication as a writer is evident in his Socratic dialogues; thirty-six dialogues and thirteen letters have been ascribed to him. Plato's writings have been published in several fashions; this has led to several conventions regarding the naming and referencing of Plato's texts.[6] Plato's dialogues have been used to teach a range of subjects, including philosophy, logic, ethics, rhetoric, religion and mathematics. Plato is one of the most important founding figures in Western philosophy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plato

Cheeky. lol. We all know she meant plateau.
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Thank you, Contrarian.

LOL. Plato will either be very happy or turning in his grave. Now if we are talking a PLATEAU... If you have stalled for less than a month may be wait couple weeks more.
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have lost 15lbs so far but now I think I have platoed my weight doesn't seem to change any, I started walking everynight and I watch what I eat is there anything I can do to break this cycle?

Help???

According to a previous post you lost 15lbs by the 6th of June or before...that was a week ago.

3 weeks ago I dropped to 234 I'm 235 today...I haven't really reached a plateau. You see, your weight can go up and down on a regular basis and some weeks it might go up even though you are making progress. I find this happens now and then. Also, what are you eating? Are you tracking sodium levels? Perhaps you ate chips or something like Ham which has a lot of sodium and are retaining water. There could be MANY reasons why your weight hasn't improved in the last week or two none of which mean it won't.

I'd say that if you haven't broken the 15lbs barrier after 4 weeks of stagnant weight and continued effort then I'd be re-evaluating my effort. For example, have you adjusted your daily caloric intake to match you lower body weight? I do that for every 5 lbs I lose. Have you evaluated the foods you eat and adjusted them to be healthier? More natural? Are you getting 25 grams of fiber a day (women need about 25g's men need about 38)? Enough water? Are there other possible reasons?
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    A couple of things. A plateau sometimes isn't a plateau.

Progress doesn't always show up as weight loss. Now how much you've listed as having to go, it seems a little early.

But you can be at the same weight for quite some time while doing a fair workout each day and see it only in the measurementts when fat begins to be consumed and muscle is being built.

I spent an entire year at 190 pounds after dropping from another "plateau of 228 pounds. I was losing inches.(about 4 inches around my chest and waist) but it wasn't showing up on the scale. I wasn't getting any closer to my target weight of 175.

I finally got a lit more detailed and precise on my food diary. Yes, it might seem a little strange and even a bit of overkill to measure/weigh food. But it turns out that was what was needed. Between an efficient muscle structure and the under estimation of calorie intake, I was in maintenance without knowing I was in maintenance (I was no where near the 1200 calorie per day minimum that MFP could suggest for some people).

For example, go weigh a teaspoon of sugar. It won't be 4 grams in most cases. Maybe 6 or 7, but not 4. A little here, a little there and it all adds up.

I upped my calorie expenditure only slightly from what I was already doing and by being much more precsie in my food intake I dropped from 190 pounds down to my current 168 (7 pounds below my target, but my weight has been rock steady for the past 6 months) and I am consuming about 2200 calories per day (with the appropriate activity level, obvioously).

It may take shaking up your routine. Three years I would not have even dreamed or considered running a marathon (much less a half-marathon). Now I am training for one. Gotta shake up the routine sometimes.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options

Thank you, Contrarian.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: