Sugar intake limits are impossible!!

Options

Replies

• joellemorin
    joellemorin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to stay above that limit as well...actually, ALL limits cause me problems :/ MFP says I should eat an extra 400 calories today...but my fat and my protein are in the reds, sugar is 0 and i have all these Carbs I still could use. How can I eat CARBS without eating SUGAR (natural or processed) at the same time? it's like impossible! 0_0
  • worldsbestauntie
    worldsbestauntie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I've gotten to the point I just ignore the sugar part. I go over just in breakfast alone.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Are the daily limits for sugar referring to added sugar only? I sure hope so, because after I eat one or two pieces of fruit and a plain yogurt, I'm already drastically over the limit. I am always over my limit. On a average day I take in about 50 to 60 grams, most of that being from natural sources. I wish they would change the wording to say added sugars if that's what it means, because seeing myself over that so-called daily limit is discouraging.

Care to enlighten us on the differences between added and sugars from natural sources, take sucrose found in your sugar jar vs sucrose form an apple

Um, sucrose (disaccharide) is not the same as the major sugar found in an apple (fructose, monosaccharide)

Do apples contain sucrose? No one said anything about the predominant sugar in an apple
  • Shadowcub
    Shadowcub Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I've only been around here for a bit over 2 weeks, but I rapidly came to the conclusion that eating primarily the processed foods I can get from the local food banks, that I was {b}never[/b] going to meet my sugar or sodium goals. So I dropped both and added fiber & cholesterol instead. (Trying to stay at/over on Fiber & at/under on Cholesterol while staying at/under my calories.)
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar. I switched mine out to potassium. I'm more concerned about that then sugar intake.
  • drezzal
    drezzal Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about this aswell. I had a fruit boost from cafe nero today and that alone shot me way over my daily limit!
  • whit291
    whit291 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I totally know what you mean. I used to worry about this as well. I agree with what everyone else has said - basically, eat whole fruit (natural fresh produce) to your heart's content. However, I have read that it's even more important to make sure you eat more vegetables because of the sugar content in fruit (even though fruit is all natural, obviously). So I think you COULD overdo it on the fruit to a mild extent, but if you're like me and just eat some fresh berries, an apple, and a banana every day (the three of which send me skyrocketing over MFP's sugar limit), I would not worry about it at all!
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I don't count sugar in fruits, I think its silly to say its not ok to eat the recommended intake of fruit per day... I only count sugar if its from unhealthy items like candy, cookies, cake ect... I think theres a big difference, especially now, since everytime I eat candy or something high in sugar I get a migraine, while if I eat a ton of fruit no reprecusions. So I count the calories on fruit but not sugar :)
  • margelizard
    margelizard Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Funnily enough, I just posted about this exact same thing yesterday! Having read over this thread, I think I am going to go destroy the sugar section right off my profile :)
  • SeatownTilt
    Options
    So the moral here is, "If you can't stay within the limit, don't pay attention to it..."? I have been tracking my sugar for over 2 years, eat between 2800-3200 cals a day depending on workout, and go aver my 60g limit 2 times a week on average.

Try not eating fruits so high in sugar (2 bananas a day, seriously!?!) It isn't impossible to reduce your sugar intake without making drastic diet changes, but I guess it all comes back down to your own personal goals!

Good Luck!!
  • jerryallegood
    jerryallegood Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't really track,sugar. I don't eat clean enough anyway. As long as calories burned is greater than calories eaten, I am happy. I do try to keep some balance in the macros, carbs, fat, and protein.
  • dogladytwo
    dogladytwo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I totally agree, they are totally WRONG on sugar so I just pay attention to carbs. If it were only added sugar, they would be on track, as it is, I ignore.
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I usually have a hard time eating my sugar goal. I usually end up with half it left unless I eat candy or drink soda.
  • bluefish49
    bluefish49 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    A trainer at the gym gave me a basic guideline for eating and losing weight. The most important aspect of it was staying under 45g of sugar a day. I didn't follow it perfectly, especially the sugars. I hit plateaus that lasted a long time, and got really frustrated. REALLY FRUSTRATED. I stood on the scale week after week not losing anything. I was staying just under the calorie goal, and not eating back my exercise calories. The trainer reminded me that staying under 45 sugars was the most important part of the plan. I started by eliminating the daily banana, and searched for other ways to reduce the sugars. Mainly stayed away from processed sugars and fruit sugars.

My weight loss started again, and I have dropped an average of 2 pounds a week steadily since November. It has been amazing. Its working for me. I've gone from a 5x shirt to a XL. 66 waist to 46. I just reached my interim goal on Tuesday, 3 weeks early, of weighing 250 by July 4. So I reset the goal to 245.

So limiting the sugars has worked for me. Is it for everyone? Dunno.
  • totalsham
    totalsham Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Are the daily limits for sugar referring to added sugar only? I sure hope so, because after I eat one or two pieces of fruit and a plain yogurt, I'm already drastically over the limit. I am always over my limit. On a average day I take in about 50 to 60 grams, most of that being from natural sources. I wish they would change the wording to say added sugars if that's what it means, because seeing myself over that so-called daily limit is discouraging.

Care to enlighten us on the differences between added and sugars from natural sources, take sucrose found in your sugar jar vs sucrose form an apple

fiber..... which lowers the spiking of the blood sugar level
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to stay above that limit as well...actually, ALL limits cause me problems :/ MFP says I should eat an extra 400 calories today...but my fat and my protein are in the reds, sugar is 0 and i have all these Carbs I still could use. How can I eat CARBS without eating SUGAR (natural or processed) at the same time? it's like impossible! 0_0

Maybe adjust your macros setting? I have mine at 40/30/30 (carbs/protein/fat)
  • totalsham
    Options
    I usually have a hard time eating my sugar goal. I usually end up with half it left unless I eat candy or drink soda.

one kale shake and sugar is in the red.

but i guess almond milk, kale, spinach, celery, cucumber, carrots and any fruit in a blender is a terrible choice in food.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Assuming you aren't diabetic, tracking sugar is a waste of time.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

fiber..... which lowers the spiking of the blood sugar level

So granulated sugar is OK as long as you eat something with fiber with it?

And what's bad about a blood sugar level spike, anyway?
  • totalsham
    Options
    so you dont get or see the part where he asked the different between sugar jar and apple? apple has 3-4 grams of fiber. So what, you are going to add metamucil to everything to compensate for the sugar added to your coffee? or how abou your sugar intake come from vegs and fruits and let the natural fiber control the blood sugar spikes.

spiking blood sugar is bad due to inflammation... and inflammation is the key to CVD.

having a sugar to fiber ratio of 1-1, 2-1 or 4-1 is amazing...

america diet, 20-1, 30-1, 50-1