Replies

• thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    ADDED SUGAR ONLY.
  • totalsham
    totalsham Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I totally know what you mean. I used to worry about this as well. I agree with what everyone else has said - basically, eat whole fruit (natural fresh produce) to your heart's content. However, I have read that it's even more important to make sure you eat more vegetables because of the sugar content in fruit (even though fruit is all natural, obviously). So I think you COULD overdo it on the fruit to a mild extent, but if you're like me and just eat some fresh berries, an apple, and a banana every day (the three of which send me skyrocketing over MFP's sugar limit), I would not worry about it at all!

please explain the difference from sugar in fruit as opposed to sugar in a piece of cake?

has been done already...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I totally know what you mean. I used to worry about this as well. I agree with what everyone else has said - basically, eat whole fruit (natural fresh produce) to your heart's content. However, I have read that it's even more important to make sure you eat more vegetables because of the sugar content in fruit (even though fruit is all natural, obviously). So I think you COULD overdo it on the fruit to a mild extent, but if you're like me and just eat some fresh berries, an apple, and a banana every day (the three of which send me skyrocketing over MFP's sugar limit), I would not worry about it at all!

please explain the difference from sugar in fruit as opposed to sugar in a piece of cake?

has been done already...

Ok - care to give me the cliff notes version?
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I ignore it. It's set to the customary recommendations for added sugar.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    All I heard was 'fiber'.

Of course, an apple has loads of nutrients that a glass of coke doesn't.
  • jensan37
    jensan37 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    :smile: Just remove it from your diary
  • ndj1979
    Options

has been done already...

no, need I found it on page 2..

I don't see how sugar in a strawberry is better for you than sugar in a piece of candy ...I mean they are both sugar ....
  • ndj1979
    Options
    it just cracks me up when someone says I eat sugar from fruit but I won't touch candy because it has sugar in it....freaking really? LOL
  • totalsham
    totalsham Posts: 217 Member
    Options

has been done already...

page 2
  • susannamarie
    Options
    it just cracks me up when someone says I eat sugar from fruit but I won't touch candy because it has sugar in it....freaking really? LOL

Hmm. It's more that I tend not to eat candy because it has nothing ELSE other than sugar. No fiber. No micronutrients. Just calories. I still have some occasionally.
  • BlitzClipz
    BlitzClipz Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I recently saw a talk show where a dietician was a guest and he claimed that if you eat less than 3g of sugar daily, no matter what the rest of your diet/exercise for the day looks like, that you'll rapidly lose weight. I suppose there might be something to that since cutting out sugars would mean cutting out most unhealthy foods. He said that even eating fruit is bad in daily amounts.

Personally I don't care much about my sugar levels as long as they are comprised of mostly "healthy" sugars, like fruits. I also find that my 2% milk is a large source of sugars.
  • ashleymm625
    Options
    yeah thats why i just deleted it off the tracker, ridiculous
  • dcatty94
    dcatty94 Posts: 2
    Options
    As long as I'm not getting my sugars from candy, soda, or white grains I don't worry about what my sugar intake is for the day.
  • mom2dzbnwe
    mom2dzbnwe Posts: 129 Member
    Options

has been done already...

I don't see how sugar in a strawberry is better for you than sugar in a piece of candy ...I mean they are both sugar ....

I don't think it is "better for you"--except that of course, you actually get vitamins from the strawberry and it's not empty calories like the candy. (I know some candy can have nutritional value, as well)

The way I see it, sugar is sugar. I am almost always well under my calorie goals and generally over my sugar recommendations. I take it with a grain of salt (pun 100% intended). Sugar can be dangerous in HUGE quantities...this is common sense, but if youre watching what you eat and trying to make healthy choices (fruit vs. candy) you're gonna be fine.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar at all. Sodium is much more important to me. If you don't have a specific need to monitor sugar intake, you can just drop that column from your log or replace it with something else.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I have been type one diabetic for 28 years and having diabetes sometimes requirs natural sugars to maintane blood sugar levels so I am always OVER on sugar everyday and I'm losing.
  • susannamarie
    Options
    I recently saw a talk show where a dietician was a guest and he claimed that if you eat less than 3g of sugar daily, no matter what the rest of your diet/exercise for the day looks like, that you'll rapidly lose weight. I suppose there might be something to that since cutting out sugars would mean cutting out most unhealthy foods. He said that even eating fruit is bad in daily amounts.

Hmm. I would actually suspect that for most people, cutting out ALL sugars would result in cutting out all favored snack foods, and therefore losing weight by default. But I'm calling BS on 'no matter what'. 1) I do not believe that I could eat hundreds if not thousands of calories over my TDEE and not gain just because I'm not eating sugar. I would love to see a study showing that that's possible, because almost all of my favored snack foods are low-sugar -- such as oil-popped popcorn, where I can easily put away 1200 calories in an hour if I'm not paying attention. 2) I have seen people who eat a raw vegan diet with huge proportions of calories coming from fruit. If this were true -- if you needed to cut sugar to lose weight -- they ought to be monstrously obese, but most of the ones I've met (it's popular at my college lately) were on the lean side.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

has been done already...

I don't think it is "better for you"--except that of course, you actually get vitamins from the strawberry and it's not empty calories like the candy. (I know some candy can have nutritional value, as well)

The way I see it, sugar is sugar. I am almost always well under my calorie goals and generally over my sugar recommendations. I take it with a grain of salt (pun 100% intended). Sugar can be dangerous in HUGE quantities...this is common sense, but if youre watching what you eat and trying to make healthy choices (fruit vs. candy) you're gonna be fine.

But what if you're already at 100% of the vitamins/micros that you would get from the strawberry? Since you don't get extra credit for going over the minimums for vitamins/micros, what is the real difference?

And I'm not entirely convinced yet that sugar even in huge quantities is necessarily problematic (assuming it isn't in lieu of other basic nutrients).

ETA:
    And as for the claim of losing weight by cutting out added sugars no matter what, totally bogus. I (intentionally) added 20 pounds in 2012 with a strict paleo diet that had no added sugars. The "trick" was keeping my calories high enough to support the gain.

It isn't rocket surgery...and calories matter.
  • Emisole
    Emisole Posts: 65
    Options
    I completely ignore sugar intake.
  • gwhizeh
    gwhizeh Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I agree, as a type 2 diabetic. Who has attended an course on my condition and deals with this crap daily. You will be told flat out that the body does not care where sugar comes from. To your body. Sugar is sugar. For me fruit can be just as bad as a candy. What makes it any different for a non diabetic? Nothing other than their body can handle it where mine cant. Still doesn't matter the type It's still sugar. And before you all go out and start eating candy like fruit, fruit is obviously the better choice due to the nutrients and fiber to go with it lol.

Funny. I had this conversation once already today.

And to be on topic. MFP's numbers appear low to me. But that shouldn't be a shock to anyone here who actually has looked into it.

Now go eat candy!