FAVORITE place in America!

Options

Replies

• cathdrew2
    cathdrew2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Alaska, hands down. Drive to Bellingham, WA and get the ferry. It takes the same route the cruise ships do but way cheaper and lots of fun. The heartiest souls pitch a tent on the top deck and camp on the way. Some people just roll out a sleeping bag on one of the stateroom floors. Rooms are tiny and use the hall bath or have a private bath, whatever you want to pay for. Scenery and wildlife are breathtaking and the crowd is always eclectic. Drive on to Anchorage (2 more days) - beauty everywhere you look. Numerous day trips from Anchorage but I like Seward, Portage Glacier, and Talkeetna (great view of the Northern Lights in winter and Mt. McKinley/Denali in the daylight). Anchorage has tons of awesome restaurants, lots of walking/cross country skiing paths, museums and other city sites. Drive to Denali National Park for a few days. You have to take a glacier cruise. Learn the Legend of Mt. Susitna. See the moose wander around town like stray dogs. Eat pizza at Moose's Tooth. Catch a salmon as long as your arm (or longer) right in town. No better place on Earth.
  • strawberry4377
    strawberry4377 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love Redwood National Park in Humboldt County (California).
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Alaska, hands down. Drive to Bellingham, WA and get the ferry. It takes the same route the cruise ships do but way cheaper and lots of fun. The heartiest souls pitch a tent on the top deck and camp on the way. Some people just roll out a sleeping bag on one of the stateroom floors. Rooms are tiny and use the hall bath or have a private bath, whatever you want to pay for. Scenery and wildlife are breathtaking and the crowd is always eclectic. Drive on to Anchorage (2 more days) - beauty everywhere you look. Numerous day trips from Anchorage but I like Seward, Portage Glacier, and Talkeetna (great view of the Northern Lights in winter and Mt. McKinley/Denali in the daylight). Anchorage has tons of awesome restaurants, lots of walking/cross country skiing paths, museums and other city sites. Drive to Denali National Park for a few days. You have to take a glacier cruise. Learn the Legend of Mt. Susitna. See the moose wander around town like stray dogs. Eat pizza at Moose's Tooth. Catch a salmon as long as your arm (or longer) right in town. No better place on Earth.

done all that and agree with everything you say, fab; and the train ride from Anchorage to Seward is world class!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    1. Anywhere along the Appalachian trail.. Yeah, you MIGHT happen upon a bear or two but not as likely as you would think...

2. Colonial Williamsburg

3. Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/ Asheville, NC - Biltmore Estate.

4. Destin Florida
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    NOLA (New Orleans) is great for local cuisine and flavor. Up and down on the river boats can be a great get away as well... If you get into this sort of thing they also have Gambling there and along the MS gulf-coast... MS beaches are pretty rough BUT a day trip out to Ship Island is not a bad excursion... Nearby, you have the Natchez Trace as well... Natchez has some interesting eating establishments along the river as well.
  • lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    in abt 5hrs........my bed....@ work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I found some great flight prices to Hawaii... so thinking about a couple nights in Vegas then a couple in an all inclusive in Hawaii! Thanks for the suggestions. I'll pocket the rest!
  • rob32768
    rob32768 Posts: 505
    Options
    North America - British columbia , USA - nyc
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Vegas - best place on earth
  • ladypenel
    ladypenel Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I didn't see Washington DC or Las Vegas on your list. Arizona has some nice stuff. Madison, WI is a great city. I'm sure theres more but thats all I have now.

Long weekend trip to Vegas definitely on the agenda sometime this year! Washington D.C... Don't me wrong I watched the election and some of the pre-election political debates, but I'm not a hugely politically inclined type of person... still enough to keep me interested or is it more for the politically/historically minded?

There is so much more to Washington than politics- try Foggy Bottom or Georgetown etc. And I'm a Brit. Lol !
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    My top places to visit:

Quebec City, QC
    Vancouver, BC
    St. John's, NF
    Whitehorse, YT
    Charlottetown, PEI
    Port Hope, ON
  • leonamccauley
    Options
    I know you've said you have already been to Boston, but the surrounding areas do have so much to offer in ways of fun activities and events to explore in Massachusetts! Whether you venture a little south of the city to the Cape or Islands or maybe out west to the Berkshires, I feel like I always have endless things I want to see in Massachusetts!
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Any "departure" lounge !!!
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Chicago and Huntington Beach, CA...
  • ALKNica
    ALKNica Posts: 50
    Options
    Come out to Colorado!!! Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs is beautiful, and Hanging Lake is amazing!!! There is so much to see and do here, you will never be bored.
    Been there. Can't disagree.

Also consider parts of Utah - Moab area. Hidden treasure.

I second this. Utah is fabulous. It has some of the best national parks in the country: Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef. My profile picture was taken outside Moab at Dead Horse Point. It's one of the most amazing places and you can stay in Moab at a comfortable hotel and still explore a lot of these places (Arches and Canyonlands, specifically).
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm... In addition to "anywhere I can swim" I'd like a deep dark forest nearby.
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Calling the states America kind of grinds on me also but it's widely accepted. Anywho ... my favorite place(s) in the states would be where there's mountains, GREEN, water (preferably oceans or rivers) and trees! I live in a rural and isolated desert ... what can I say? lol
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Key West, FL. Come allllllll the way down here!

No road trip is complete without experiencing the 7 mile bridge:
    tumblr_me90o6jHm21rkruwvo1_500.jpg

Or saying you got to Mile Marker Zero
    terry-eggers-mile-marker-0-key-west-florida-keys-florida-usa.jpg

Or having your picture taken at the Southernmost Point (90 miles from Cuba)
    Southernmost-Point.jpg

If it's in the budget, stay somewhere on Duval Street. The drinking and partying while hitting up every bar down the road (Duval Crawl) is incredibly fun. But if you're bent on camping, there are campsites on the way down. Or feel free to PM me and I will give you my ultra-secret, people drive by it but never see it - spot.
  • SkyPixie
    SkyPixie Posts: 224
    Options
    Outer Banks NC :love:

In fact NC, SC, GA my favourite places I have visited in the US so far !

Great people, great food and great scenery/stuff to do :happy:

I have a lot more places I would like to go visit in the US but I have kind of lost my heart to the south !
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to the US yet but I can definitely say my favourite American city and one I'd definitely love to be my first stop in the US is San Francisco! Such a beautiful city! My dad was there a couple of months back on a business trip and he had nothing but good things to say about the city.