Does it matter where the calories come from?

Options
Hi All

If you need to up your calories - does it matter where the extra calories come from?

I.e. is it better to eat lots of low fat low cal foods to increase it, or will having less higher caloried food do the same thing as long as they both mount up to the same calories?

So could you increase by having a chocolate bar a day (so you don't fee deprived long term but the rest of your diet is healthy) or should you increase lots of healthier snacks?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Technically no but u will feel better if u choose healthy foods over junk....
  • beccib2
    beccib2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i'm thinking apple with peanut butter and a protein shake, but i know peanut butter is a lot higher in calories, and could technically eat a lot of fruit or veg for the same amount :-)
  • texasfight78
    Options
    Doesn't matter at all. If you're meeting all your macro nutrient goals & still need to up calories, add what ever your heart desires.
  • jxl430
    jxl430 Posts: 2
    Options
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    For weightloss, no. For optimal health and body composition, yes, but not necessarily meaning you can't have a chocolate bar a day. So long as you're getting a wide spectrum of vitamins, minerals, fibre, enough protein and fat for your goals, it doesn't matter which foods you eat.
    Definitely not... Higher calories often mean more carbs which is sugar. Sugar transforms into fat. This is not the result you are looking for. If you are trying to lose weight, you should eat about 130g of carb per day. If you are trying to maintain, then you shouldn't go over 200g.

That being said, natual sugar contained in fruits and items as such are good sugars. You need them.
    This is nonsense. All macronutrients in excess of your maintenance can cause weight gain, and the sugar is exactly the same. You just get more vitamins and minerals with a piece of fruit over a cookie.
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    My carbs are always over 200 n I maintain just fine
  • cam1300
    cam1300 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight loss it doesn't matter where you get your calories from. However, you are more likely to feel fuller longer if you eat, for example, 300 calories of pasta rather than 300 calories worth of chocolate. If you feel full you are less likely to overeat in other ways. This should lead to a lower calorie intake and greater weightloss over the long term.

Having said all that... personally I eat whatever I like. If I fancy chocolate - I will have chocolate. If I fancy bread - I will eat bread. So long as it is within my calorie goal for the day/week. I don't want to deprive myself of things I love but sometimes it's hard to eat in moderation.

So to answer your question... I think an odd chocolate bar here and there is fine!
  • aquinoz
    aquinoz Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    nope. just fit it in your calories and macros, and you'll lose weight.
  • aquinoz
    Options
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    For weight loss it really doesn't matter. Calories are calories. If you are trying to change your eating habits for life then that will play a role. Are you getting your nutrients every day without the extra calories? I did pretty good yesterday and still had calories left so I ate a cookie :)
  • aquinoz
    Options
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hi All

If you need to up your calories - does it matter where the extra calories come from?

I.e. is it better to eat lots of low fat low cal foods to increase it, or will having less higher caloried food do the same thing as long as they both mount up to the same calories?

So could you increase by having a chocolate bar a day (so you don't fee deprived long term but the rest of your diet is healthy) or should you increase lots of healthier snacks?

Thanks in advance

Don't get hung up on 'low fat' foods. It's better to eat something with higher fat content which will keep you fuller for longer. Low fat foods normally have a tonne of sugar to compensate. It's a myth that the diet business have been peddling for decades that high fat foods are bad for you.

Fat doesn't make you fat. Excess calories make you fat.
  • beccib2
    Options
    I don't suffer with hunger, so adding a whole other meal in of say pasta just wouldn't be feasible for me. Im a veggie so my meals tend to be based around vegetables, and my breakfast around fibre otherwise i can't poop ;-)

So looking for something that isn't really filling but will do the job. Like i say, what are peoples thoughts on whole earth's Peanut butter with an apple?
  • beccib2
    Options
    Also other than my weetabix, and maybe once a week, i don't eat processed food. Everything is cooked from scratch, and just naturally seems to be low in calories because im a veggie and the vegetables i fill up on in my dishes are naturally low cal - thus low fat...
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If you're eating plenty of fruit and veg, have your chocolate bar. Won't do any harm. Peanut butter with an apple, same deal. It's all goood.
  • beccib2
    Options
    i just used a chocolate bar as an example...... not really a chocolate person - just wanted to make my question clear
  • tejano714
    tejano714 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think if you meet your goals and get the carb-protien fat ratios right. Then watch which types of fat you eat. Make sure you are getting enough vitamins and minerals. Some phytonutrients are good too. Also add Vit D(5,000u) , E (400 u) and supplemental Vit C like a gram or a gram and a half is extra good. Fiber is always a challange, but is needed for good BM. Metamucil or Psyllium can turn into concrete if you are not careful. I always double up on water too.

Mark Braun, MS,RPh
    pharmacist
  • nannyal
    nannyal Posts: 50
    Options
    Why not split the extra calories and use them for both.