Why do a lot of women prefer exercise DVDs?

Options

Replies

• RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    1. Convenience.
    2. Goes back to being obese in gym class and being teased and not being athletic.
    3. Convenience.
    4. I don't have to make sure the person before me wiped their sweat off of the equipment.
    5. Convenience.
    6. Bad experiences at Bally's in the early 90s when gyms were meat markets.
    7. Did I mention convenience? In the time it takes me to drive to and from the gym, I could be halfway through my workout.
  • NJD2885
    NJD2885 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    i use them because there are no gyms close to where I live, i have small children so have to fit workouts in whenever i can, and they are cheap
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I like DVDs when I first started out but have been going to the gym more here lately. At first I liked DVDs because at 285 I didn't want to go the gym and only last for 5-10 minutes, also my self-esteem was pretty low and I didn't know what people would think seeing me in the gym. Now I don't mind the gym at all, I am still big at 250-252 lbs but I am working on it and can say on the elliptical longer or just as long as anyone else.
  • mothsfkinprincess
    Options
    I make weird sounds when I workout. So yea nobody else needs to hear them lol
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I can't afford to go gym, wouldn't really want to even if I could (well, maybe I would want to, if I could get over my self conciseness), have kids at home, like the directions and knowing exactly what to do, and like the convenience of being able to workout whenever I want. It's just nice being able to work out alone in the privacy of my bedroom for free any time I want.
  • leina257
    leina257 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! Plus it spices things up from my regular running schedule
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I prefer it because I feel I can work out harder in my own home cuz I can dress in minimal clothing comfortably and no one is watching me so I can sweat off all my makeup and push myself twice as hard without caring about who is seeing what I am doing. Also with having young children if they need something or my attention or something can pause the dvd and go right bk to it. Is more cost effective for me than going to a gym because I take surveys on the tellwut survey site and when I get enough points to get a amazon gift card alot of times will use the gift card to get myself a workout dvd and so it doesn't cost me alot and I have buildt up a pretty good collection. Mostly though its cuz I feel I work out harder without people watching me and I like being able to just wear whatever is comfy and not be subconscious of how I look drenched in sweat or after sweating off all my makeup in front of people. That and if I work out super hard I can just go hop in the bathtub right after and its pretty convenient.
  • 19Lindsay76
    19Lindsay76 Posts: 135
    Options
    Privacy, time management and more economical.

I think this says it all. :happy:

Exactly! I know for me, these cover it all perfectly.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of women (basing this on people I know in real life) are intimidated by the gym, especially anything to do with weights, are intimidated by the thought of running or any other exercise in public. Those who have kids like to have something they can do at home that fits in with childcare. DVDs are relatively cheap and can be done at home. I guess a DVD also sells a certain kind of "look" and it's easy for people to be motivated by thinking that they will look like the person on the DVD when they're done. Women seem to be more swayed by stuff like that. I also know quite a few women who have bought DVDs because they like the person who has brought it out (ie celebrities).

Personally, I hate exercise DVDs. I just don't like that style of exercise, and I don't like being "motivated" (aka shouted at) by someone while I'm exercising. I never liked doing aerobics classes at school either. I think I just prefer the process of going from A to B running, walking, cycling etc.
  • nyssa1231
    nyssa1231 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I LOVE going to the gym. However, it's only worth the investment for me if I: (1) have a lot of time on my hands and (2) can walk to it. Otherwise, I don't have those factors in my favor, I use DVDs.

When we were living in Barcelona, I wasn't able to work, under the terms of my visa. I know, rough life. We joined the local gym for 20 euros a month or so. It was huge and beautiful (built in a former train station!), had a huge cardio and weight area, pool, hydrospa, and sauna. I pretty much spent an hour and a half there every morning, then I biked down to the beach and read for a while. It was heaven.

Now that we're back in the States, there isn't a gym that is in walking distance, except for a nasty Gold's Gym that's located in the basement of a high-rise. It takes up too much time to get up, drink my tea, get dressed, drive to a gym, find a locker, find a cardio machine, life some weights, drive home, and get ready for work. I'm more consistent if it's convenient.

P.S. I'm totally rolling my eyes at all the people who think that women like to exercise with DVDs because they're intimidated by the gym.
  • MelClaire2000
    Options

P.S. I'm totally rolling my eyes at all the people who think that women like to exercise with DVDs because they're intimidated by the gym.

Haha, THANK YOU! Saying women are intimidated by the gym so use DVDs is like saying men only go to the gym to show off and try to score......

I know a lot of women who work out at the gym, and a lot of men who use DVDs at home.

IMO and from what I've heard from both men and women, a lot of the contemporary DVD's are a heckuva lot harder than any gym workout they've ever done.

I exercise with DVD's because its cheap....and convenient. No travel time, no dealing with lockers or showers or other people's sweat on equipment (seriously folks wipe off your equipment!), or competing over equipment. No inane chatter or obnoxious behaviour. Just pop on the clothes, grab my weights, flip on the workout, BOOM, hop in the shower and be off. Personally, I don't understand why people pay so much money for all the hassle of a gym when they can do the same stuff at home for a lot less.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Because of my schedule, it's much easier for me to work out at home. I have a weight set, but generally use DVDs for cardio. They're convenient, don't take up a lot of space, and don't carry the safety risk that a 4:30am run in my neighborhood might.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I've done Insanity previously. I restarted it & I am on week 4 after a long hiatus. Thinking of trying Les Mills next, how do you like it??
    I prefer Les Mills Combat to Insanity. But then I trained in kickboxing for 10 years.

Oh, and for the record, here's part of my workout room where I do my DVDs... no fear of weights here:
    969514_10151664853546210_474111359_n.jpg
    Nice Rack!
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I do a pilates DVD for strength/flexibility training. I prefer to do this in my own home because it's convenient and I don't have to be comparing myself to other girls in the room or feel bad about how crappy I look when I wake up. I get up, get it over with and go to work. Easy and cheaper than paying for classes.
  • C12254
    C12254 Posts: 198
    Options
    I used to use the DVDs. i was too broke to afford a gym membership and lived hours away from a gym anyways. with 2 kids it was just easier to do a 30 minute DVD during their naps.
    I now have a gym membership and prefer getting out of the house and being forced to stay accountable (i refuse to spend the money on a gym and not go.)
  • AbigailClarke48
    Options
    I used to do DVD's - but when I joined the Y and started going to fitness classes. I can't go back - DVD's are BORING! When I did them, it is because it was convenient. I have no weight equipment or cardio equipment. Also - working out to music I love.

There are 2 or 3 brave male souls in my gym class for that matter. Should ask them why class, similar to the DVD's is not the traditional method of choice for exercise.
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Honestly I'm just too embarrassed to go to a gym and gym memberships around here are at least 60$ a month and a 30 min drive for me so not really convenient.
  • TinaBina90
    TinaBina90 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    For me:
    - Busy student- we do have a gym on campus to use for free, but with a jammed packed workload, I don't want to have to lug gym clothes to school or be there longer than I have to.
    - Privacy
    - Time management- I can fit it into my schedule better. Going to the gym is like an event because I have to make sure I bring everything to school. When i workout at home I just throw on my clothes, put in the DVD, workout, and get back to whatever else I need to do.
    - Variety- Mixing up workout DVDs is a lot easier for me than trying to figure out what I want to do at the gym. The work is already done for me, all I have to do is do it! I do a combo of JM(strength training, circuit training), Zumba(Cardio when I don't run), and some workouts from the BeFit channel on Youtube (Yoga, Meditation, other workouts to mix it up).
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I would love to have a membership for the nice gym that's nearest to my house, but a) I can't afford it and b) I'd struggle to fit in enough visits to make it worthwhile financially. Its about a 50 min walk each way (I don't drive) and the council gym is crap for about £35 a month, so instead I walk a lot, use the odd DVD, use my treadmill, swim in the council gym on my morning off and try am trying to get my husband to train me on lifting weights again. Its hard to fit things in when you're busy working, running a home and looking after a family. My husband has it easy, he pays £1 a week for a gym at his place of work which he goes to as soon as his shift finishes - me, I have to get home to get the kids :grumble:
  • pig2201
    pig2201 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    So nobody can see me sweating like I pig.