What NOT to say to someone who's trying to lost weight?

Options

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    **** you.

Oh wait, you shouldn't say that at all.
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    My sister (middle girl in my profile photo) was there and my mom said 'Wow,wow how much have you lost now!" I told her 22 (at the time) and my sister said "Really?" and had this scrunched looked on her face and walked around me in a circle, then just walked away.

B!tch

so mom thinks you're skinny and sister thinks you're overweight?

My sister was just not impressed - she says she 'can't see it' - but thats okay, I have progress pictures and I can see it!
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    I had one of my friends comment on a motivational quote picture I put up on instagram (something like, you can either have results or excuses, not both", telling me that 'there's more to life and you could just read them to yourself instead of posting so F***ing many!" For reference, I'd posted maybe 4 or so in the last week, interspersed with other pictures.

It just really irritated me that it annoyed her so much she felt the need to comment, rather than just keep scrolling :/

I have gotten this on facebook, and my response is always the same: Fitness and eating healthy is my lifestyle. Your lifestyle is eating alot, partying, knitting, taking pictures of your cat, whatever... I dont comment on your crap saying "OMG, Can you please stop posting pictures of your Saturday night drinking binges???" I just keeeppp scrollliiinnnngggg!! If you don't wanna do that, unfriend me!! I will post what I want on MY page, thank you... Yeah, the two people who said it really ticked me off!
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    or my mom telling me not to throw out my fat clothes because I may need them later.

Mine said the same thing to me!! :explode:
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Don't you just hate it when people find out your trying to lose weight and they have to give you their opinion of what you should or shouldn't do? Or maybe tell you that you look too thin and should stop, or you're no fun anymore cause you won't go out to eat with them now? What have others said to you that really got your goat?

It bothers me when I am told that a woman my age should no longer be vain, because no one cares what a 60-something person looks like.. When I tell them that I am mostly doing this for my health I have been told " you have gotten to where you are now, what more do you want ? ". Many don't understand that even at my age a few more healthful years are very desirable.
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    My sister (middle girl in my profile photo) was there and my mom said 'Wow,wow how much have you lost now!" I told her 22 (at the time) and my sister said "Really?" and had this scrunched looked on her face and walked around me in a circle, then just walked away.

B!tch

so mom thinks you're skinny and sister thinks you're overweight?

UGH!! Sisters are B!tches!! Mine tries to tell me what I how exactly I should be working out and that I don't have to be so careful about tracking my food at every meal. She's always busy if I invite her to work out with me and tries to tell me she's suddenly without changing anything lost all this weight but she forgets that she leaves her weight setting on MY Treadclimber after she's used it and that's not the number she's telling me she is.

My sister was just not impressed - she says she 'can't see it' - but thats okay, I have progress pictures and I can see it!
  • britttttx3
    britttttx3 Posts: 458
    Options
    "Have a slice of pizza"
  • recoveryjunky
    recoveryjunky Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have a really skinny aunt and I have roughly 100 lbs to lose. I was telling her about my weight loss by doing low carb and switching to calorie counting. She said, "That's stupid. All you have to do is make smarter choices and you'll lose weight." WHAT DO YOU THINK I'M DOING???!!! DAHHHHHHH. It's like 'have YOU ever had to lose 100 lbs? NO. It takes a little more structure than that.'
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    "Your before pictures look better."

OMG THAT IRKS ME SO MUCH! Seriously, UUUUGGGHHHH!

That makes me want to Hulk smash the computer...
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I had one of my friends comment on a motivational quote picture I put up on instagram (something like, you can either have results or excuses, not both", telling me that 'there's more to life and you could just read them to yourself instead of posting so F***ing many!" For reference, I'd posted maybe 4 or so in the last week, interspersed with other pictures.

It just really irritated me that it annoyed her so much she felt the need to comment, rather than just keep scrolling :/

You should post this to her wall http://mymememaker.com/meme/ecf1an

That would be freaking hillarious. Sounds like you're making her feel lazy
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    "Have a slice of pizza"

What's wrong with pizza?
  • fShaw86
    fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I went out for dinner with my aunt last night. Buffet of all things. And she tried to load my plate with all the greasiest food she could find. When I protested, I got "You're gonna be working it off anyway." Thankfully, I stopped her at one spoonful of rice, and ran off to the salad bar.
  • britttttx3
    britttttx3 Posts: 458
    Options
    Idk, while trying to lose weight, pizza isn't something I'd want to eat, but it's my favorite so it's hard to resist, lolllll.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    or my mom telling me not to throw out my fat clothes because I may need them later.

And my mum! I'd reached goal and was showing off some lovely new jeans and my mum said 'Don't be too upset when they stop fitting again.' FFS!

(I did keep my big clothes because I wanted to be pregnant again, but then grew so rapidly that I hardly got to wear them! Hopefully I won't need them for toooo long after the birth either :laugh:
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options

OMG THAT IRKS ME SO MUCH! Seriously, UUUUGGGHHHH!

That makes me want to Hulk smash the computer...
    "you look better bigger; skinny just doesn't suit you" or "you looked anorexic when you were skinny"

"you need to buy bigger pants. last time I saw you they were baggy, and now they're tight" uh, thanks genius; they're a smaller size!

tumblr_mnslz4sR211sohd0xo1_500.jpg
  • dragonfly_em
    dragonfly_em Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    'oh you are looking so much better, now all you need to do is live on lettuce leaves for the next few months and it will come off so much faster'
    from someone who loves to give advice but never listens and struggles with similar weight issues and has only ever managed lettuce leaves for a day, and complains but never trains
  • resistance_freak
    Options
    I've found most people to be really supportive and encouraging, especially the ones who haven't seen me since 30+ pounds ago, but there are the occasional ones that will get their little 'digs' in like "Hey Twiggy, don't lose too much more weight or we won't be able to see you" - This was from someone really overweight.

Or I also get frustrated when a friend who had also tried to get more fit and lose weight at the same time says things like "Well, watching my calories, and working out didn't work for me." - uh, NO! That's not why you're still overweight. You're just fooling yourself, or trying to fool others that you're actually DOING what it takes to lose weight, but the scale and the tape measure don't lie.
  • xALEXANDROx
    xALEXANDROx Posts: 3,416 Member
    Options
    what goes around comes around.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options

And my mum! I'd reached goal and was showing off some lovely new jeans and my mum said 'Don't be too upset when they stop fitting again.' FFS!

(I did keep my big clothes because I wanted to be pregnant again, but then grew so rapidly that I hardly got to wear them! Hopefully I won't need them for toooo long after the birth either :laugh:

I gave my mom my "fat" pants. She had done well and lost a bit of weight as well, I just lost more sizes in the process.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options

Along those lines "You were way hotter before you lost weight."

:indifferent: