Greek Yogurt to Replace Sour Cream??

Options
Has anyone used a non-fat, plain Greek yogurt like Chobani in place of sour cream in a recipe? I’ve recently tasted Greek yogurt and thought it was very sour cream like – even a little more so. It’s a much healthier alternative but I don’t want to just see if it works via trial and error. Has anyone used it in dips to replace the sour cream?

Replies

• antiadipose
    Options
    i put it on my baked potato! =] yum.
  • NewImprovedCnbethea1
    Options
    Yep I do it all the time the first time I had it I instantly thought about sour cream so now on my nachos, potato, dips and more that's what I use!!
  • Robin1109
    Robin1109 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Good to know! You don't notice a difference in the taste of the dip? I wouldn't think you would.
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I have and agree it tastes good. What I really don't know (haven't done the comparison) is how much of a benefit if any there is to going to non-fat Greek yogurt route instead of just going with non-fat sour cream?
  • Robin1109
    Robin1109 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have and agree it tastes good. What I really don't know (haven't done the comparison) is how much of a benefit if any there is to going to non-fat Greek yogurt route instead of just going with non-fat sour cream?

True....I guess I'll have to really compare the labels.
  • NewImprovedCnbethea1
    Options
    The one reason that got me into the greek yogurt instead of sour cream is the fact that I was trying to get the protein in so I know that is one thing that will be on the label for you to see.

In the dips its a lil different but not too much!!
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Well, I actually looked at compared to several different brands of fat free sour cream, they are close in terms of calories but greek yogurt has a little more than double the protein.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I think low-fat sour cream tastes bad, so I prefer Greek yogurt. But real sour cream does taste a little different! I can't imagine putting sour cream in my strawberry-banana smoothie! but Greek yogurt is great for that.
  • catchtanya
    Options
    wondering if anyone has tried this with baking? Im looking at making it a zucchini casserole and it calls for 1 cup sour cream. Wondering how the yogurt would do in baking. Thanks!
  • NewImprovedCnbethea1
    Options
    wondering if anyone has tried this with baking? Im looking at making it a zucchini casserole and it calls for 1 cup sour cream. Wondering how the yogurt would do in baking. Thanks!

Doesn't hurt to try it I think it will be just fine!!!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I use yogurt in baking to replace fats (oil & butter). It would work great in a casserole because it's a healthy change that wont alter the consistancy of the dish. Baking is a different story; tends to make things spongey.
  • catchtanya
    Options
    Thanks and thanks to the OP for posint ghis question! it is a good one!
  • hannatrip
    Options
    I use it in place of sour cream all the time!! I also use it in place of mayo...it makes great cole slaw!!