Want to Quit everything...not losing anything

I am not losing weight I am still as fat as I was before I started I am 5 "11 and I am 185 when I should be around 170 or 175...the numbers just keep going up and I want to fit in my pants. I work out 5 times a week and I eat veggies and protein....cut out candy ...WHAT ELSE DO I HAVE TO DO?? I am getting so discouraged ready to jus ditch everything

Replies

• LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    NO!!! Don't quit. Your calories seem abit all over the place. Some days down to like 1000 and then up to 2000. Have you calculated what you actually need to be consuming? Also you work out 5x a day?? do you mean a week?

You need to rethink your goals. Calculate your macros and get that in order and you need to think long term.
  • inkspill1
    inkspill1 Posts: 1
    I am a lot older than you…but…I am also doing TRX training, running, Yoga, Walking, boot camps…and not drinking any wine/beer, eliminating junky food and bread/potatoes, starchy carbs….and I'm gaining too. I don't get it. And I'm not cheating! I do suspect I'm not eating enough calories, but I don't feel hungry. Grrrr…
  • musicmint
    musicmint Posts: 469
    NO!!! Don't quit. Your calories seem abit all over the place. Some days down to like 1000 and then up to 2000. Have you calculated what you actually need to be consuming? Also you work out 5x a day?? do you mean a week?

You need to rethink your goals. Calculate your macros and get that in order and you need to think long term.

I don't even know what macros are...I think this site doesn't work I have been logging in everything
  • jardin12
    jardin12 Posts: 62 Member
    Just keeping putting one foot in front of the other. Remember this is not for five minutes its's for life. Make life changes in little steps that over time will add up to huge change. And in the meantime try taking magnesium. I lost a couple of kilos just with that! Whoohoo! It's the little things tha keep you happy xx
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    I'm hoping you mean you work out 5 times a week and not 5 times a day because that would be a bit much.

That said... how long have you been on your regime? From your pic, you don't look like you have all that much to lose so it's going to take a while for noticeable weight to come off.

Without more info, all I can suggest is that you persevere.
  • alicevick3
    alicevick3 Posts: 21
    Are you eating 1,200 calories a day plus exercise calories? If not, then you body will go into starvation mode and hang on to every calorie it can. I know it's hard, but try to focus on eating healthy and improving fitness, the scale does not tell the whole story.
  • Skratchie
    Skratchie Posts: 131 Member
    You don't log consistently so it's hard to know what could be causing the problem. On that basis alone, I'm not sure how you can say it's the site that doesn't work.

ETA: If you ARE logging everything, well that explains a lot. You're only eating one or two meals a day?? Sometimes you eat less than half the calories you're allotted. Something here isn't right ...
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member

I don't even know what macros are...I think this site doesn't work I have been logging in everything

Just logging food won't make you lose weight. Your calories are all over the place. Some days you only eat breakfast and have 1000 calories left to eat, some days you go over. The purpose of logging your food is so you can keep track of your calories and learn to meet your calorie goal consistently. Once you start doing that you just might lose a few pounds. Some people also use this site to keep track of their protein, carbs and fat intake and use that as a daily goal instead of calories. I believe those are the macros they are talking about. Good luck to you.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650

Macros: combination of carbs protein and fats. All calories make up macros. You can't expect to get anywhere without knowing the basics. You need to learn, educate yourself and don't quit. You can do it. Eveyone starts somewhere.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    focus on macros, stop worryingi about calories. Actually your calories will stay low as long as you work on your macros instead. Focus on protein, fats, carbs, sodium and fiber... such things like that. I am HUGE on making sure they are under the recommendations (and ive even customized mine to better fit my body's needs). You may find this works better for you. Find a Body fat percentage calculator online and do some measurements.
    I am 5'11 (and half inch, so i'm 6 ft with flip flops on) and i weigh 175-178 depending on the day and what fluctuation i'm currently at but dont give up.....
    I switched from worrying about my 'pounds'...and weight to worrying about my body fat percentage (which means focusing on macros) and its working!
    I still do my cardio (running, walking uphill fast) but i also do weights which helps a lot.
    if you have any questions let me know.
  • NO!!! Don't quit. Your calories seem abit all over the place. Some days down to like 1000 and then up to 2000. Have you calculated what you actually need to be consuming? Also you work out 5x a day?? do you mean a week?

You can't simply say this site doesn't work when there are people on here who have lost over 100 pounds...give it time, you need to be patient. Sometimes you don't even see any results til after the 4 week mark.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Also make sure to enter the proper values for the food you eat. Weigh everything. Every little thing in a recipe... weigh it and enter it. You don't seem to be logging properly. And buy a heart rate monitor so you know how many calories you are burning.

Then try and stick to your goal, which doesn't seem to be the case at all.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    The site is a tool, but its only as good as what you do with it. Saying it doesn't work is a bit like blaming a hammer for not finishing your house...

You're close to your goal weight - so what is your target setting? Are you aiming for 1 pound a week? Two?

If you're really logging everything, then your intake is inconsistent and often a lot lower than your goal. Believe it or not, eating too *little* can slow down your loss, especially when you're tall.

How are you measuring what you're logging? Are you measuring? Cups, scale? Eyeball?
  • djbrink21
    djbrink21 Posts: 97 Member
    Don't quit! Being healthy is a life change, not something you just do for a while. I didn't lose anything until I really took the time to learn what is going on, just logging doesn't cut it you have to educate yourself. You started this journey for some reason, now keep at it until you get to where you wanted to go. If you stop you end up nowhere.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member

heh. The site works just fine. Everything I log stays logged.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    I am not losing weight I am still as fat as I was before I started I am 5 "11 and I am 185 when I should be around 170 or 175...the numbers just keep going up and I want to fit in my pants. I work out 5 times a week and I eat veggies and protein....cut out candy ...WHAT ELSE DO I HAVE TO DO?? I am getting so discouraged ready to jus ditch everything

I think the culprit is sodium. Start checking your sodium instead of "iron" for a week and see what the scale tells you. Also do you really need that box of raisins at breakfast, you have eat cereal that has in sugar. How much water are you drinking? I know the hype in Gatorade, but try natural water for the week also.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Just another thought. I had this same problem and finally went to my doctor. She did some blood tests and discovered that I have insulin resistance. I'm on a medication and new diet that helps and now my efforts are actually working.
  • xandra
    xandra Posts: 101 Member
    I'm sure you have heard the saying, quiters never win and winners never quit. There must be an error in your diet or execise routine. Do you log your food religiously ---every bite, no matter what it is? Don't forget to log sweetened drinks. When you have to estimate serving size always overestimate what think you have eaten.

When you exercise do you eat your calories burned? I have found that the MFP calorie burned count is much higher that what I get on my HRM. I use the lower value.

These are just my opinions. I hope it helps. DISCIPLINE is doing what you know needs to be done. Even if you don't want to do it.

:flowerforyou: Peace
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    A bad workman always blames his tools.