Over 40??

Options
Hi there. My name is Tina and I'm having trouble getting hold of my weight. I'm on medications that have weight gain as a side effect and I'm also 44 years old. Hard for women to lose weight?? Even harder for them over 40. Anyone else here over 40 and doing well?? I could use a little positive feedback.
Looking forward to meeting and conversing with all of you.
Oh, I'm also gluten free so if there's anyone here who has that I'd be interested in knowing how it fits in with your fitness program.
Thanks. Glad to "meet" you. :blushing: :smile:

Replies

• rellim65
    rellim65 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there my name is Bill i am 47 and i would love to help in supporting you keeping a positive attitude
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    I am 56 and 4 years ago took off 20 lbs as all my bloodwork came back bad. I shed the weight in 10 weeks and
    have kept it off. I work out 6 days a week do a lot of strength training and pretty much eat what I want as long
    as its not above my calorie guidelines here.
    Every day think how can I be a fitter person.
  • melissabonnette5
    melissabonnette5 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am 43 and also find it a real challenge to keep my weight in check as I get older. Feel free to add me as a friend and we can encourage each other.
  • keely1998
    keely1998 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    i just turned 40 in April feel free to add me:smile:
  • Breezy3
    Breezy3 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Welcome Tina! Hi I am 62 and back here for my second time. Just didn't have it in me to do it last time. But I am back now determined to succeed. And I have been here for about 10 days now and when I did my first weigh in at one week, I lost 9 lbs! I have 78 more lbs to go. How much do you want to lose?

I would enjoy walking this journey with you.
  • Myxalplyx
    Myxalplyx Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    41yrs old here! Just testing out all this weight training, dieting and weight loss stuff. I felt fine when I was about 235lbs, not realizing I was overweight. After reading a lot of info, I realize I was fortunate not to suffer any problems from being overweight, when I was.

I'm just having fun with all of this and educating myself on what works for the body and how it works. Feels like I'm actually observing myself from outside going through this rather than fighting to loose weight. Really informative, great stuff and a lot of people to learn from. I'm just starting to become active in this forum as of two days ago or so. So..thanks for everything. :-)
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    42 and yes! It is much harder to lose weight now. My success has come with greater effort and far more discipline than ever before. That being said- that success is also far sweeter!
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I am 43, I don't have the issues with medications interfering with weight loss, so maybe not a fair comparison. In the beginning, when I had a lot to lose I lost easily and quickly mostly just with altering diet, not much exercise. Now that I am closing in on goal the pounds, actually ounces are coming off much more slowly and this is with a lot of exercise, cardio, resistance and some strength. While I would like faster weight loss, I am very satisfied with my results and feel I have found a healthy place that I can maintain as a lifestyle. Food for sure not sure how long I can keep up the level of exercise I am currently doing. I am actually contemplating a diet break in July-August, to sort of rest from a near constant deficit and hope it will help me lose a little faster when I restart in the fall.
  • tenajh
    tenajh Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hi there ! My name is Janet, I am going to be 49 yrs old in 2 weeks. I have MS ( so a lot of steroids, etx ) I have Asthma, hypertension, fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, heart block ( have a pacemaker and a few other issues. I have lost 60# in the last 18 months and am at my goal weight. I am down to 23% body fat and am now off almost all my meds. I do try to go gluten free, as my sensitivity is more than 4 times that of an average person who is intolerant. It can be done and my progress was slow due to flare ups, surgeries and hospital stays. I am not finished with myself and doubt I ever will be, but I am finally where I wanted to be : ) Be inspired but be realistic and best of luck my friend.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Susan here. 44 on the 23rd of this month. Hypothyroidism since birth. Used to use that as an excuse to be heavy. No more. Lost 40 lbs last year w support from mfp friends. Now trying to relose a few lbs and drop a few more. Glad to be friends. Not gluten free strictly but do not eat much of it at all.
  • Winston1717
    Winston1717 Posts: 184
    Options
    Hi Tina, I'm Dave 48 soon to be 49. Had gained over 50ILBS and lost it 3 years ago. Wasn't easy! Unfortunately the work is a bit harder and results a little slower...but it can be done! If you want support feel free to add me as a friend. Good Luck!
  • charmcitygirl69
    Options
    I am 43 and have struggled with my weight a lot since high school It kept creeping up and up over the years, and I got less and less active. I did not regulate at all what I ate, and cholesterol is dangerously high. Depression, exhaustion and always sleeping were results, as well as failed relationships because I just didn't like me! So far I have lost 30 pounds since April and have 60 more to go, at least that is the plan. We will see when the muscles start coming in, lol. I would love to have new friends to encourage each other and to walk this journey with me! Please add me as a friend, and we can do it together! :-)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Hi Tina, well I'm 44 too :-D and doing not so bad - it is much slower though trying to lose weight now that it was in my 20's and 30's but we just gotta keep at it and we'll get there. I know without MFP I wouldn't have done as well as I have so stick at it and you will make your goal.

Yyou can add me too if you like :)

Ruth

ps I have some mfp friends who are GF too so I can 'introduce' you to them too :)
  • patsycortez67
    Options
    I am a 45 yrs young and I've lost about 30 lbs. since January. I am on medication for thyroid and was on metformin. Since I have lost weight I have been able to stop taking metformin. I do Zumba 3x a week and I either run or workout at the gym 3x a week. It has been hard and very slow but it is working. I try and stay under my calories and I don't usually eat back my calories that I gain from exercise. Please feel free to friend me and best of luck to you, if I can do this, I know you can!!
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    40 here!! And dropped 40 lbs and keeping it off! Best shape of my life and not going to give in again!! It's all about weightlifting, especially for females! I also started running for the first time in my life in the last year! You have to have a kick butt attitude and be determined that you are going to make this work!! 80% mental!!! You got this!
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I'm 43. I find that when I eat within calorie range, exercise and drink water I lose weight. My problem is doing it consistently. I start of great and then...BAM. I'm hoping to take this summer and get over those hurdles so when school starts in the fall, I'll WANT and NEED the three lifelines (exercise+water+better food choices).

Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Options
    Im 43, and was on high blood and cholesterol meds when I was 41, and completely off of them by the time I was 42. : ) I have lost 83 lbs and think the key to losing weight is to be consistant with your diet and excercise program, patient and dont let yourself get frustrated.
    Also strength training was like finding the fountain of youth!!
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I am turning 45 in August. I am not on any meds but I find that if I eat pretty clean and exercise I do pretty well. I have been maintaining a 45 pound weight loss for 5 years.I won't tell you it is easy, but it can be done.
  • RippedNicole
    Options
    I'm 42 this week, and am in agreement with lifting
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    I'm 44 and yes it has been a journey. But it can be done.
    Watch your calorie intake and exercise, you will start losing weight and feeling better.
    Good luck...