1/2 Italian, Can I put "mixed-race" on my job application?

Options

Replies

• MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    While there may very well be "non-white" italians out there I don't know of any. Italian is a nationality, not a race. So I would say no.
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I'm Italian and Irish...when I get really mad at the discrimination am I supposed to hit them with a pan or just get drunk?

Both?
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Yes, Italians are considered white. You are welcome.

Yeah that's what I thought everyone is spewing about Nationality on here...and how they put that on applications or whatever
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    Options
    I'd be questioning why there is a question for "race" on that job application.

There's a question for race on every job application...

Not in every country :) I think everyone in America has one but other countries don't put that question on their applications.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Lord no. Italians are definitely white. Just like Germans, the Dutch, Icelanders, the Polish *insert caucasian European race here*
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    "based on my racial handicap"

i don't know what this means.
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure Italians are white. My guy is half Italian and half German and he is very much white. I am no expert though.

It seems weird that they would even ask such a thing.
  • jennwren77
    jennwren77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options

You are correct.

In general, it is assumed that pre-employment requests for information will form the basis for hiring decisions. Therefore, employers should not request information that discloses or tends to disclose an applicant's race unless it has a legitimate business need for such information. If an employer legitimately needs information about its employees' or applicants' race for affirmative action purposes and/or to track applicant flow, it may obtain the necessary information and simultaneously guard against discriminatory selection by using a mechanism, such as "tear-off" sheets. This allows the employer to separate the race-related information from the information used to determine if a person is qualified for the job. Asking for race-related information on the telephone could probably never be justified.

http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/practices/inquiries_race.cfm
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I always put other, though I am heinz 57. Besides I disagree with affirmative action and their reporting of it. I believe there was a time and place but now that time has passed and that policy has now effectively implemented that same racism it tried to equalize.

Besides how do they know what nationality I am even if I look a specific way?
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    Options

Not in every country :) I think everyone in America has one but other countries don't put that question on their applications.

Silly girl, the only country is the USA. The rest are just our vassal states.

I'm going to be completely honest here and admit half the time I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. I mean I see you posting in threads and I'm like 'but is he serious or kidding...' I'm not good at sarcasm face to face either though :)
  • MeIShouldB
    Options
    Lord no. Italians are definitely white. Just like Germans, the Dutch, Icelanders, the Polish *insert caucasian European race here*

Actually, there are black Germans. But German would be their nationality, and black would be there race.
  • MeIShouldB
    Options
    "based on my racial handicap"

i don't know what this means.

Good point, me niether and I'm curious.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

I'm going to be completely honest here and admit half the time I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. I mean I see you posting in threads and I'm like 'but is he serious or kidding...' I'm not good at sarcasm face to face either though :)

I am always serious.
  • whierd
    Options

Actually, there are black Germans. But German would be their nationality, and black would be there race.

Oh so now nationality has to do with where you were born and not the color of your skin? :huh:
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options

I am always serious.

You need to lighten up! Why so serious always? Why Why Whyyyyy?!
  • whierd
    Options

I am always serious.

You need to lighten up! Why so serious always? Why Why Whyyyyy?!

Too much protein.
  • MeIShouldB
    Options

Oh so now nationality has to do with where you were born and not the color of your skin? :huh:

I'm guessing there was a sarcastic tone to that, but yes that is exactly what it means.
  • whierd
    Options

I'm guessing there was a sarcastic tone to that, but yes that is exactly what it means.

That is racist.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I can't believe that in 2013 those questions still exist on a job application. They say it's data, or equality and **** like that, but surely equality would be to not ask it at all and simply let the chosen candidates turn up, regardless of their race?

because it's 2013 and we should be beyond that but some people and organizations are slow to catch up....so they DO have to ask that...

government regulations are a symptom of the popular culture....

Um...you can check that you don't want to answer.
    The reason those questions are there are so employers can track the racial make up of applicants and try to avoid getting sued by being "diverse" enough.
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I can't be bothered to get into a debate - I'm too tired.

It's 2013. You can elect to not disclose ethnic origin but then you get the inevitable "Why did they refuse to answer" question, which kind of around with the whole purpose of the tick box in the first place. Few companies like what they consider to be "rebels" - it may be different elsewhere.

As for diversity - it's gone too far now. The long and short of it is this - you employ the right person for the job. You don't employ someone who isn't capable based on their ethnic origin to keep up with statistics generated by the government to look appealing. I don't care if that person isn't even a person, all I care is that they do the job, they are comfortable and everything is harmonious. I'd hate to be hired just to conform with a statistical guideline.