5-5/1+8*7/7*8-4+4(9^(18-5))=?

Options

Replies

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Are actually both correct.

8*7/7*8 can be correctly interpreted as both 64 and 1. Just depends on if you consider it an in-line division symbol or 8*7 OVER 7*8

I am guessing you are early 40s/late 30s? There was a brief time where the order of operations was taught improperly in many areas.

The standing rule is PEDMAS Left to right, and the intent must be explicit brackets and parenthesis.

True, but the / isn't really a mathematical symbol .. so it's still open to interpretation.

This is one of those problems where different brands of calculators will give you different answers, depending on how they interpret /
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

8*7/7*8 can be correctly interpreted as both 64 and 1. Just depends on if you consider it an in-line division symbol or 8*7 OVER 7*8

in this instance you go from left to right.(( 8*7) / 7)* 8

if you have multiplication and division you go from left to right... same with addition and subtraction.

Generally true, but the / symbol is mathematically ambiguous:
    Similarly, there can be ambiguity in the use of the slash ('/') symbol... For example, the manuscript submission instructions for the Physical Review journals state that multiplication is of higher precedence than division with a slash. (source "Physical Review Style and Notation Guide". American Physical Society. Section IV–E–2. Retrieved 5 August 2012.)

well, I love you if you are right, because if you are, then it means I'm not stupid and don't have to rely entirely on my looks to get by. :flowerforyou:
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options

It's arithmetic there is no interpretation only followed rules.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I am actually surprised that no one treated it as:

5-5/1+8*7

And came up with

___
  • sullus
    Options
    I am actually surprised that no one treated it as:

5-5/1+8*7

And came up with

___

Also valid. There are interpretations and implementations that say divide everything to the left of the slash by everything to the right of the slash.
  • sullus
    Options

/ isn't an arithmetic symbol. it's a representation of either a division sign or a fraction on computers.

ETA: There is no Peter, only Zuul.
  • snowblind50999
    snowblind50999 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    =5-5/1+8*7/7*8-4+4(9^(18-5))

=5-5+56/56-4+4(9^13)

=0+1-4+4(2541865828329)

=-3+10167463313316

=10167463313313

maybe

This^^
  • vtmoon
    Options

I am guessing you are early 40s/late 30s? There was a brief time where the order of operations was taught improperly in many areas.

The standing rule is PEDMAS Left to right, and the intent must be explicit brackets and parenthesis.

True, but the / isn't really a mathematical symbol .. so it's still open to interpretation.

This is one of those problems where different brands of calculators will give you different answers, depending on how they interpret /

This is not a calculator, this website is a computer based platform, so "/" will always mean division this isn't open for debate, it is an agreed upon standard.
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    mind = blown..

there is no spoon
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options

/ isn't an arithmetic symbol. it's a representation of either a division sign or a fraction on computers.
    Technically a division sign and a fraction sign are the same. One-half = 1 divided by 2 = 50% = 0.5
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    The chances of randomly choosing the correct answer to this question is:

a) 25%
    b) 50%
    c) 33%
    d) 25%
  • sullus
    Options

This is not a calculator, this website is a computer based platform, so "/" will always mean division this isn't open for debate, it is an agreed upon standard.

Or ... as I posted previously ..

Similarly, there can be ambiguity in the use of the slash ('/') symbol... For example, the manuscript submission instructions for the Physical Review journals state that multiplication is of higher precedence than division with a slash. (source "Physical Review Style and Notation Guide". American Physical Society. Section IV–E–2. Retrieved 5 August 2012.)

It absolutely is open to debate.
  • crista_b
    Options

Isn't that just explaining that the order of PEMDAS puts the M before the D?

(before the D :wink: :laugh: )
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    In other news:

40-32/2=4!
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Purple?
  • vtmoon
    Options

ETA: There is no Peter, only Zuul.

I mean I can go to France and demand that the police speak to me in Chinese but that would not make sense. We are on computers so we speak that language :tongue:

Also, the Gatekeeper was nice for speaking English and not the demon language, because they possessed an English speaking host. Which is like speaking calculator while possessing a computer.
  • sullus
    Options

Depends on the interpretation of the order of operations too. Multiplication, THEN division .. or multiplication and division in a straight line from left to right.
  • vtmoon
    Options

I mean some scientists still day the world is 6000 years old with our understanding of time. So they can technically debate that fact.
  • R_Calvillo
    R_Calvillo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I thought the answer to everything is 42.
  • crista_b
    Options

Depends on the interpretation of the order of operations too. Multiplication, THEN division .. or multiplication and division in a straight line from left to right.
    Well following order of operations, i.e., PEMDAS, parentheses outrank exponents, which outrank multiplication and division (but multiplication and division are at the same rank), and these two outrank addition and subtraction (which are together on the bottom rank). When you have a bunch of operations of the same rank, you just operate from left to right.

Therefore it follows that you would operate the middle as ((8*7)/7)*8