Does anyone do hot yoga or any other yoga??

Options
I'm interested in trying a hot yoga/bikram class, but I'm mildly claustrophobic. I used to have asthma so I'm a little worried about it causing an attack. How do you like bikram? Does it get you in shape?

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    I've never done Bikram. I've done a few heated classes and don't like them, but that doesn't mean you will feel the same way.

I would start with a basic yoga class and go from there, working your way up the line to warmer and warmer - in a safe and controlled way - never go to a class that you feel you can't leave at any time.

Here's the general outline on how classes are heated:

most types of yoga: no heating - normal temperature room
    Ashtanga: 88-92 degrees
    Hot Flow: 85-95+ degrees
    Baptiste: 90-95 degrees
    Bikram: 95-105 degrees (though I've heard of places going to 115)
    anyone feel free to correct this general outline

All types of yoga will help get you in shape. The difference between heat and no heat has to do with muscle flexibility and a "feeling" or working out. If you are super sweaty when you leave a class that's 100 degrees, you're going to feel like you worked a lot harder than if you do the exact same sequence in a class that is 75 degrees. The calorie burn will be basically the same - just like if you ran on a 100 degree vs a 75 degree day.

Hope you found my ramblings useful.
  • bettepower
    bettepower Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Bikram is Hatha yoga done in a warm climate or heated room, always the same 26 postures.
    It is incredible.
    "Hot Yoga" that I have seen is power yoga or very aerobic yoga in a hot room.
    I would focus on what type of practice you are looking for. Do you like flow? Do you like inversions? Do you like focusing on form?
    Once you figure out what type of yoga you would like you can then think about in what type of environment you would like to do it in.

I am a Bikram yoga fanatic, but I would (could) never in a million years do a Hot Yoga class.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    114.jpg
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    My friend is trying to convince me to go to hot yoga, so far I've resisted since I'm not sure how I'll handle the heat and my flexibility isn't that great ><
  • pkinblue
    pkinblue Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I love yoga but when I tried a hot yoga (Bikram) class I ended up in a terrible panic attack--too many people, too much heat, heart rate up too high. Even with my eyes open and telling myself there was plenty of air my body just didn't listen to my brain. Thank goodness I could leave the class and as it was pay-as-you-go I wasn't out much.
  • Narla444
    Narla444 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of Ashtanga yoga, but really did NOT enjoy the Bikram class I took.

I couldn't handle the humidity. I had to leave the room and almost blacked out. But I don't handle heat very well and am a bit prone to fainting. The two friends I went with did just fine, but it wasn't for them either.
  • paleopin
    paleopin Posts: 47
    Options
    @yoginimary yeah I'm going to start out with the basics, and then eventually move on to bikram I think once I learn more of the poses. I think I've only done a handful of classes before so there's still a lot to learn

@bettepower What do you like about Bikram? Do you have epiphanies about life? My cousin went to one and she said she had a major epiphany and started balling afterward so idk about that haha