Getting frustrated...have gained .6 pounds this week

Options
So it is my second week using my fitness pal. The first week I dropped a bunch...13 pounds. Yes, I ate atleast 1200 calories each day. I was walking. I hurt my back and haven't been able to walk in almost a week. I'm still following on the low end of my calories but I am not losing ANYTHING....in fact I went up .6 pounds. Please encourage me that this is just the dreaded second week....

Replies

• nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    13 lbs is A LOT to lose in one week, so it's not surprising your body is holding on to it again. Your weight can fluctuate by up to 5 lbs. in a single day, so I definitely wouldn't worry about .6 in a week. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Keep it up, have patience and the weight will come off.
  • aimeemanninghunter
    aimeemanninghunter Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thank you...it seems ridiculous I know...I just get so discouraged especially since I can't really exercise until my back calms down..
  • Beastmode454
    Beastmode454 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    FInd your TDEE online using the TDEE calculator... subtract 25% of that away and thats what you should be eating to loose weight at a steady rate.
  • JamieUK1
    JamieUK1 Posts: 7
    Options
    Remember it is going to take time and yeah 13lbs in a week is a lot, Wish I could lose that, Dont think of the negatives think of the positives, Things can only get better from here :D Chin up :-)
  • Ashshell
    Ashshell Posts: 185
    Options
    The first week, you lost mostly water weight. I lost 8lbs my first week and nothing my second week. I also wondered what I was doing wrong. Don't let yourself become discouraged. Keep sticking to your goals and be patient. The weight will come off. Don't rush things, though.
  • InspiredSAM
    InspiredSAM Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    13 lbs is A LOT to lose in one week, so it's not surprising your body is holding on to it again. Your weight can fluctuate by up to 5 lbs. in a single day, so I definitely wouldn't worry about .6 in a week. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Keep it up, have patience and the weight will come off.

^^^THIS for sure!

I know it's never fun to see an increase, but we have to remember to be realistic with ourselves too. I had a 2 lb increase in one day this week, but had to remember its TOM.

13 lbs in one week is astonishing! Keep at it and it will happen.
  • maarbo
    maarbo Posts: 22
    Options
    When first starting you should only weigh yourself every 7 days. I do mine Friday or Saturday morning. Like Nicolla said, this is a marathon, not a sprint, so it doesn't really matter where you are when, just where you finish at.

And yes, I also lost a lot of weight the 1st week (10lbs), then 1 lb the second week, gained a pound the 3rd week, and have lost ~1lb per week after that.
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    TX_Aggie_Dad Posts: 173
    Options
    Do you weight yourself every hour and worry about the fluctuations throughout the day? That would be ridiculous, right? Worrying that much about your weight from week to week is almost as ridiculous. I weigh in each week but just to see the long-term trend over the course of months. I'd suggest you start looking at this in terms of loss per month as things are going to fluctuate from week to week and can drive you crazy. Just stick to your plan, know that you are eating healthy, exercising, etc. and if you don't like the trend over a 1-2 month period, then make a change to your plan.
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    TX_Aggie_Dad Posts: 173
    Options
    BTW, congrats on losing 12 in two weeks. That is really awesome! Just make sure you realize that a sustainable rate is more like 1-2 lbs per week. That 12 lbs is likely a lot of water weight in week one which happens.
  • Foxxyfiercefitness
    Foxxyfiercefitness Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Don't get frustrated just yet. Weight does fluctuate and as women we have hormones, water weight and all kinds of weird things going on with our bodies. I weighed in this morning at 1.4lb more than last Friday :sad: and I thought I had a good week. In the beginning we're all trying to figure out what works best for our bodies, so stay strong and keep pushing. It will pay off! :wink:
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose anything for 6 weeks when I started. 13 lbs or 12.4 lbs in 14 days is pretty darned significant!! Heck, I gained almost 6 lbs with TOM this week. Yay for being a girl!!!

Follow the TDEE advice. Be consistent. Get back to exercising as soon as you are well enough to get back at it. Don't give up and you will see progress!
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Most people just starting out will lose a considerable amount in the first week. The vast amount being water weight!! Week 2-4 is a little more difficult as your body is getting used to your new food/calorie intake and will want to hold onto some of this as it is used to much more food. This is normal!!

Also note that 1200 is a bit low especially if you are exercising at all. You should eat at least your BMR. (go to www.fitnessfrog.com to calculate) My guess is you should eat at least 1400 calories a day.

Another thing to pay attention to is your sodium intake. .6 in one week can EASILY be sodium!! Your weight can fluctuate up to 3lbs in a given day (more if TOM is visiting. blech). So do NOT let .6 discourage you. Drink at least 10 glasses of water a day (if not more), watch the sodium and continue to move forward!!

you can do this!!
  • carolachristensen
    Options
    Calories are important but not equal. Eat nutritious high fiber food as much as possible and be patient. You didn't gain the weight 13 pounds a week. You won't be able to loose that much each week.

One thing that helped me was to actually measure food with a measuring cup. I found that a half cup of pasta was only about half of what I thought it was.
  • jesgaa
    jesgaa Posts: 17
    Options
    I gained weight this week too. If you keep eating healthy (not just low calories) and workout when you can, you will see results. Slow and steady wins the race!
  • maecrocker
    maecrocker Posts: 56
    Options
    FInd your TDEE online using the TDEE calculator... subtract 25% of that away and thats what you should be eating to loose weight at a steady rate.

This. I couldn't figure out what anyone was talking about until I read this (which is a bit long but very worth the time it takes to read it, reread it, do it, and understand it:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Be, very... very... very consistent if you're going to weigh yourself on a weekly basis.

Same day. Same time. Same rough time since waking.

I really personally prefer weigh ins on a wider schedule its less prone to showing daily fluctuation.
  • bermequeen
    bermequeen Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Not getting frustrated is a lot easier said than done. I have my ups and downs in my day to day. The people on MFP are great about being supportive and motivating. Look at what you've accomplished so far and not on what you still have to do.
  • aimeemanninghunter
    aimeemanninghunter Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Most people just starting out will lose a considerable amount in the first week. The vast amount being water weight!! Week 2-4 is a little more difficult as your body is getting used to your new food/calorie intake and will want to hold onto some of this as it is used to much more food. This is normal!!

Also note that 1200 is a bit low especially if you are exercising at all. You should eat at least your BMR. (go to www.fitnessfrog.com to calculate) My guess is you should eat at least 1400 calories a day.

Another thing to pay attention to is your sodium intake. .6 in one week can EASILY be sodium!! Your weight can fluctuate up to 3lbs in a given day (more if TOM is visiting. blech). So do NOT let .6 discourage you. Drink at least 10 glasses of water a day (if not more), watch the sodium and continue to move forward!!

you can do this!!

I guess I should say I was eating at least 1200 NET calories according to MFP. So if I burned 300 calories exercising I would eat 300 more calories. Some days I ate up to 1600 (I get 1830). I get a little obsessive with the scale....maybe I need to have my husband hide it. I weigh every morning. It doesn't help that I feel really bloated like because my body is compensating for the pain in my back by arching making my belly stick out....I'd be happy even seeing a .2 loss :(
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Earlier this month I had a 4 lb increase in one night and 1 lb the next. I checked my sodium levels for the week and they were high. As I watched my sodium and increased my water intake, the lbs came back off.
  • julieelkin1
    Options
    I bet next week you'll start loosing again. Just don't give up;)