Cant Lose WEIGHT!!! GRRRRRRRRR

Options
So I dont really know how to use this other than logging my excercise and my foods. I think it would be amazing to talk with others to help with motivation. I currently am feeling down bc I started going to the gym 5 nights a week the beginning of June and have dedicated an hour sometimes 2 a night AND i have been very careful with what I eat and yet I have not lost one single pound!!!! :*( Anybody else have the same experience and when will I start to lose?? Am I doing something wrong??? It keeps saying if yu keep up this rate you will be this weight in 5 weeks yet I dont see how since its been 2 and ive lost nothing!

Replies

• jadeyq1
    jadeyq1 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Were you exercising at all before you started your 5 nights at the gym?

You are probably building muscle which weighs more than fat :)

Try measuring your vital areas, I bet you will see in a difference if you measure often :)

Well done on your gym commitment too! Keep at it, you'll see results even if they're not on the scales :)
  • jsawyer5
    jsawyer5 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I barely moved before I started the gym. lol I thought that might be the case but I feel like my clothes are not any looser. I used to lose weight so easy but I am wondering if it is because I just had my third child and I am 28 years old. I just keep telling myself eventually it has to come up and to keep doing what im doing
  • chineyLuv
    chineyLuv Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    might be in your diet. Sometimes it doesnt matter that ur under the 1200 calories, it matters WHAT kind of calories they are (I'm slowly learning this as i go thru the posts today :smile: )

Maybe if you open up your diary, there might be something there that ur not seeing and someone else is.

Good luck on your journey!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Try measuring your vital areas, I bet you will see in a difference if you measure often :)

Well done on your gym commitment too! Keep at it, you'll see results even if they're not on the scales :)

Orly? :huh:

OP, open up your food diary or provide some info. Height, current weight, goal weight, how many calories you're consuming, exercises, etc.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

It is very difficult to build a significant amount of muscle on a calorie deficit. Water retention due to an increase in exercise is more likely.

OP, you mention your exercise routine, but you don't talk about how much you're eating. Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise (or 70-30, 90-10, whichever way you prefer). How much you're eating is far more important than how much you're exercising.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    might be in your diet. Sometimes it doesnt matter that ur under the 1200 calories, it matters WHAT kind of calories they are (I'm slowly learning this as i go thru the posts today :smile: )

Maybe if you open up your diary, there might be something there that ur not seeing and someone else is.

Actually, in regards to weight loss, this is false. Calories are calories are calories.
  • j724mecham
    j724mecham Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I started MFP on March 15th so practically a month ago and have only lost a pound. I am also in the process of trying to figure out how this all works. I can certainly provide some tips though and ways to get motivated:

1) Choose your method. MFP will put you at a certain calorie amount depending on your information and lifestyle. Sometimes that amount of really low. To others it isn't. If it feels very low to you, there is another calculation that can be done instead. Just a different method. Both have shown success. Regardless, keep logging and make sure you are measuring (weighing if you can) everything.

2) Eat back your exercise calories. When the site suggests you eat 1300 calories for example and you burn 300 calories from your workout and don't re-eat those 300 calories, you'll be at 1000 calories which is NOT healthy. Although it sounds like this suffering will get you weight loss (and it probably will), you're starving your body. It doesn't think it'll get food and energy for the exercise so it will essentially "cling" on to everything you consume

3) The site has a tendency with some exercise to overestimate your calories burned. If you can get an HMR (heart rate monitor) calorie counter (preferably with a chest strap), you can get an accurate amount of calories burned from your exercises.

4) Although the scale hasn't moved for me, I feel a lot better. I am drinking 8 glasses of water when I used to just drink Diet Pepsi day after day. I feel my face is slimmer. So perhaps look into getting a soft measuring tape and measure yourself each week. Weighing less doesn't equal being healthy or physically fit.

5) Get involved. I currently just started the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred (it's a program you can view on youtube or buy online as a dvd). There are SEVERAL forums of people starting programs all the time who want motivation from other members on here. It's a great way to stay accountable.

Feel free to ask other questions. Good luck!
  • ReynaBarajas
    ReynaBarajas Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I know how you are feeling! I work out daily with only one rest day a week, watch what I eat- I just lowered my calories to 1,600 I tried eating at 1,900 (TDEE) and it seems like it isn't working. I only lost 0.2 ounces this last week! My body is changing but the scale is not moving! I wish that number really didn't matter. :(
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    It's been 2 weeks. Give it 6 to see results.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options

Actually, in regards to weight loss, this is false. Calories are calories are calories.

What she said :happy:
  • jsawyer5
    jsawyer5 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    loving the responses. reading them now. How do I open my information so you can see it? I def stay under the alotted calories but they tend to mostly be carbs :( I am def working on changing the way I eat. It is hard but I will get there. I have to.
  • cdcooper321
    cdcooper321 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me!!
    I agree with some others, It does matter what types of food you're eating!! There are some other issues to take into consideration as well! You can do it!
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't

Yes, It really does.... a chunk of fat the size of my palm would weigh significantly less than a chunk of muscle of the same size.

That being said, I dont think that matters with the OP's problem, currently...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I know how you are feeling! I work out daily with only one rest day a week, watch what I eat- I just lowered my calories to 1,600 I tried eating at 1,900 (TDEE) and it seems like it isn't working. I only lost 0.2 ounces this last week! My body is changing but the scale is not moving! I wish that number really didn't matter. :(

That number really doesn't matter.*

* unless you're trying to win a bet...trying to get to a weight to be allowed on a ride at Disneyland...trying to reach a number that results in lower insurance premiums...etc.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options

Oi
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    If you don't have one already, get a food scale. It's too easy to underestimate your calories if you are just eyeballing your portions.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't

Yes, It really does.... a chunk of fat the size of my palm would weigh significantly less than a chunk of muscle of the same size.

That being said, I dont think that matters with the OP's problem, currently...

Nope a pound of muscle and a pound of fat weigh the same love. The muscle takes up less room
  • clairedrose
    clairedrose Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It is possible that you are gaining muscle. I began exercising in earnest a couple years ago. I too was frustrated by not losing but actually gaining a couple pounds. After while,though, I noticed my clothes were looser. In a year I lost five pounds and dropped from a 20 to a size 16 (same brand). I had given up on dieting because I just could not focus on both. Now that my exercise habit is well established I am trying the diet again. On the advice of my trainer I am eating more protein than suggested by MFP. I am much less. Hungry and have finally started losing (slowly). I know how very frustrated you are,but keep exercising and remember that scale does not tell the whole story!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    derp.gif

this thread has it.