Look at my diary...help please!!

Options
Weightloss has come to a halt for me for the past 2 Months now.. Getting discouraged.. I know by looking at my diary I have some cheat foods but I still exercise like 6X a week/500 cals burned a day...
Can you look at my diary and maybe find out where I'm going wrong? Maybe I need to cut my calories?
I'm 5'5..193-196lbs (it teeters back and forth these days) and I'd like to be 160lbs.. I use to weigh 225lbs.

Please help!

Replies

• pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    300calories for a muffin seems excessive. That jumped right out tame. Eat something that has more protein and less carbs, like eggs.
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    Maybe switch to skim. Your diary isn't bad. You may want to adjust your calories down a bit.
  • in2theblu
    in2theblu Posts: 42
    Options
    Yea it was 2 muffins.. It was Friday.. I figured wtf lol I had a workout today and I was pretty good all week
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Do you weight everything you eat? It seems you eat a lot of restaurant's food. You might be underestimating your calories in and probably overestimating your calories out (don't trust MFP database, it's way high on the calorie burn).
  • j724mecham
    j724mecham Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    To me, you eat well especially since you are active. I am not the healthiest eater. Maybe adjust your calories to like 1750-1900, but it shouldn't be an issue. I would recommend lowering carbs and sodium, which are my weaknesses. I just adjusted my goals and did a custom one that is 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% sugar. I also lowered my sodium to 2000. If you're going to drink 2300+, I'd definitely increase your water consumption to more like 10+ glasses a day. Your exercise regimen is great, but having too many carbs and sodium will give you excess water weight and fat. Good luck!
  • DesdemonaRose
    Options
    Mix up your exercise if you do the same thing all of the time. Rumor is to much repeat makes your body less responsive. You can try to lower carbs and sugar. Maybe less processed stuff in general. I'd probably try to changeup the workout though if your always good on your calories. It's possible that you are not burning as many calories as you think you are. The more in shape you are the less calories you are going to burn doing an activity that you are good at.
  • in2theblu
    Options
    Yeah I think I'm gunna try lowering my cals to 1460 for a 1 1/2 lb loss a week. Being on the meat/ fruit and veggies and drop the process or Cheat stuff to 1 day a week (moderation too)
    I think counting calories is driving me nuts. Maybe I should take a break from this app for a while. I don't know.. I don't weigh my food I just don't wanna be that anal about things.. But it could be true that I'm eating more than I think or the exercise is less than it says... Should I get a fitbit or something? Christ this isn't rocket science but its seems so difficult all of a sudden
  • Rosiemac2
    Rosiemac2 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Could you try getting your carbs from veggies...I would cut out the chocolate chips and muffins...Also try eating protein and veggies for dinner verses the pasta and cream sauses...have your snacks be just snacks that have nutrients like fruits/veggies/cheese etc....I like to have 1/2 cup grapenuts 1/2 cup 1%milk and blueberries or stawberries for breakfast...still very filling but bananas are loaded with calories If you love them maybe have 1/2......You can be filled with say 6oz chicken breast cup of broccoli and small salad for dinner....basically have a snack but don't sacrafice a good dinner to have a muffin:) I am not an expert in nutrition but I hope this helps....
  • cuttingshadow
    cuttingshadow Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Just had a look at your diary and could see that all the calories you gain from work out , you are investing into the intake calories. Try to hold that practice, you can create an excess of deficit calories using those work out calories.

Jun 9- (real goal) 1470) you had 1860 (crossed original goal) , got 219 calorie through work out and invested around 40 calorie back into food.
    Jun 10 - gained 531 over goal , invested 507 right back in.

-CS
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think I'm gunna try lowering my cals to 1460 for a 1 1/2 lb loss a week. Being on the meat/ fruit and veggies and drop the process or Cheat stuff to 1 day a week (moderation too)
    I think counting calories is driving me nuts. Maybe I should take a break from this app for a while. I don't know.. I don't weigh my food I just don't wanna be that anal about things.. But it could be true that I'm eating more than I think or the exercise is less than it says... Should I get a fitbit or something? Christ this isn't rocket science but its seems so difficult all of a sudden

You don't need to go that low.. The sodium thing is right. Can you make more of your food at home? Also, as far as progress goes, are you taking measurements? Sometimes the scale doesn't show all progress. I've been the same weight for 7 weeks but my body is physically smaller :smile:
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    300calories for a muffin seems excessive. That jumped right out tame. Eat something that has more protein and less carbs, like eggs.

You are right, I would find 300 calories for a muffin highly excessive too. Also sodium eating is very high, I would reduce that to at least 2000 and stick to it.
  • tados
    tados Posts: 68
    Options
    Cut down on the carbs and eat more protein.
  • indyducks
    indyducks Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Weighing food isn't being anal. It is the ONLY way that you know exactly how much food you are eating. For solid foods, the density can be drastically different, so measuring it by volume can be highly inaccurate. Example, a cup of popcorn vs. a cup of rice. The rice packs in nicely, whereas the popcorn will have who knows how much air between the popped kernels...

Weighing your food can be VERY helpful.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I suggest you drop some calories. Adding protein and lowering the carbs would be a good strategy too. At some point you might have to cut back on some of the treats. Working on that is bound to be helpful.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

Ah! That's the problem. You can't log calories without actually weighing and mesuring everything. Otherwise, there is no point.
    Before changing what you eat, you need to know how much you eat. If you use MFP, use it for real and weight, measure and track every single bite. If you don't know how many cals are the food you eat, like at the restaurant, don't eat it.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I can understand the sense of not wishing to become overly obsessed, but you could get a food scale, and just weigh things long enough to be able to get a general idea of portion sizes. I do not weigh everything, but I weigh things like meat, potatoes and yoghurt, the higher calorie things, to get an idea. Also, I agree with shaking up your workouts, do a mixture of things, and you will notice a difference. I run, cycle, box, weight train, do elliptical, do HIIT and walk. Also, no need to drop your calories that low.
    You might find it less complicated if you check out this post on the site, and follow that method instead where you eat a set amount each day, that has your deficit and weekly exercise calories built in.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
  • in2theblu
    Options
    Just had a look at your diary and could see that all the calories you gain from work out , you are investing into the intake calories. Try to hold that practice, you can create an excess of deficit calories using those work out calories.

Jun 9- (real goal) 1470) you had 1860 (crossed original goal) , got 219 calorie through work out and invested around 40 calorie back into food.
    Jun 10 - gained 531 over goal , invested 507 right back in.

-CS

I see what ur saying here but I just changed my calories today to 1460 or whatever.. I had been doing 1710.. That's why so high