Cant Lose WEIGHT!!! GRRRRRRRRR

Options

Replies

• Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    You are probably building muscle which weighs more than fat :)
    No it doesn't

Yes, It really does.... a chunk of fat the size of my palm would weigh significantly less than a chunk of muscle of the same size.

That being said, I dont think that matters with the OP's problem, currently...

Nope a pound of muscle and a pound of fat weigh the same love. The muscle takes up less room

A pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of bricks. Of course a pound of something weighs the same as a pound of something else. But no one would claim a bag filled with feathers weighs the same as a bag full of bricks.

The feathers are fat, the bricks are muscle. It would take a larger volume of feathers to equal the same weight as the bricks. Therefore muscle weighs more than fat, but takes up less space.

"Therefore a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat."

There. I fixed it for you.....'cause a pound is a pound is a pound.....but the volume that pound takes up is not the same.

Bingo!
  • yvettesalva
    yvettesalva Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    hey girl.. hang in there.. sometimes it takes longer. I have been a trainer for a long time and I can honestly tell you its not how much time you spend working out but your intensity level while you are working out. think doing an insanity dvd.. vs.. walking on the treadmill.. intensity.. sometimes that will help also .. how is the food intake..not just calories.. but quality calories..
    If I can help you in any way.. let me know.. I know how tough this can be .. but hang in there. stay committed and you will definitely lose.
  • chineyLuv
    chineyLuv Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    might be in your diet. Sometimes it doesnt matter that ur under the 1200 calories, it matters WHAT kind of calories they are (I'm slowly learning this as i go thru the posts today :smile: )

Maybe if you open up your diary, there might be something there that ur not seeing and someone else is.

Good luck on your journey!

Actually, in regards to weight loss, this is false. Calories are calories are calories.

Well, i don't know about that, i mean, 500 calories in hoho's or dingdongs don't have the same equal nutrition level as 500 calories of fruits and veggies (ie. fat/carb/sugar content all differs)

Edit: I'm not saying I'm an expert, I'm just starting to slowly learn that there is a pattern on here from "advisors" and it does make sense.

Look up back at my post and read the part I bolded. In regards to weight loss, not general health/nutrition. Just weight loss.

I eat "healthy" the majority of the time and I fit treats into my day when I can or I exercise to work them in. I eat a serving ice cream almost daily.

Got it. You're saying that if I eat 1200 calories worth of lean meats, fruits and veggies, it will give me the same result as if I eat 1200 calories worth of candies and chips....I never once said NOT to treat yourself. I'm done.

Once again, I'm not an expert, I'm on the same journey, but some people love to be condescending.

Smh - just love arrogance
  • CrimsonHolly
    Options
    Here to add my 2 cents:

Noticed that once I started logging every single morsel that passed my lips I was able to see my issues and adjust accordingly. For me its veggies and more veggies that helps melt the pounds. Logging my food has almost become a religion.

I think the key is keeping at it till you find what works for you.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    y would I not log truthfully? that makes no sense. and eat more? I get pretty close to my total every day...

I asked if you were weighing and measuring your portions. If not, that's one way of not accurately logging your food. You could be consuming a lot more calories than you actually think.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options

You are probably building muscle which weighs more than fat :)

lolololol
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    your food diary looks sketchy at best. be better at logging. if you are logging everything, then those sub-1000 calorie days need to go. you need to consistently eat regularly.
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    y would I not log truthfully? that makes no sense. and eat more? I get pretty close to my total every day...

sawyer-1.jpg~original

Just using this day on your diary for an example, you arnt eating close to your targets.

An not logging truthfully, i did that to start off with.. then i got myself together an log truthfully now..

Heres mine from today.

mine.jpg~original

Interesting. So her 324 off from her goal of 2127 (15.2%) isn't close to her targets, but your 197 off from 1441 (13.7%) presumably is.

Is the threshold for "not close" 14%?

I just dont know what to do with the last 197, and im full lol

Need to minus 40 from that as iv just had an options hot chocolate... dont worry, im all over the updating :tongue:

:noway: :grumble:

Nope, really dont know what to do with the 157 thats left. Im not even a little bit hungry (which im gonna say is a good thing)

Personally, I'd be a little ticked if someone took a page out of my diary, posted it in an open forum....then accused me of not logging truthfully.....and she isn't that far off from her goal calories.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    might be in your diet. Sometimes it doesnt matter that ur under the 1200 calories, it matters WHAT kind of calories they are (I'm slowly learning this as i go thru the posts today :smile: )

Maybe if you open up your diary, there might be something there that ur not seeing and someone else is.

Good luck on your journey!

Actually, in regards to weight loss, this is false. Calories are calories are calories.

Well, i don't know about that, i mean, 500 calories in hoho's or dingdongs don't have the same equal nutrition level as 500 calories of fruits and veggies (ie. fat/carb/sugar content all differs)

Edit: I'm not saying I'm an expert, I'm just starting to slowly learn that there is a pattern on here from "advisors" and it does make sense.

Look up back at my post and read the part I bolded. In regards to weight loss, not general health/nutrition. Just weight loss.

I eat "healthy" the majority of the time and I fit treats into my day when I can or I exercise to work them in. I eat a serving ice cream almost daily.

Got it. You're saying that if I eat 1200 calories worth of lean meats, fruits and veggies, it will give me the same result as if I eat 1200 calories worth of candies and chips....I never once said NOT to treat yourself. I'm done.

Once again, I'm not an expert, I'm on the same journey, but some people love to be condescending.

Um. What?

Get the same results as far as weight loss? YES. If you're in a caloric deficit, you WILL lose weight, no matter what food you're eating. It's a fact. (outside of medical conditions, obviously).

Also, I'm a bit confused about where you wrote that you never said not to treat yourself. I didn't say anything to you about that at all so I'm a little unsure where that came from??

I'm not sure where I was at all condescending or arrogant. Like at all.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

tumblr_lwg6cwaMzA1qzjix8.gif
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I only read a page and a half of replies-so I'm sorry if it's already been asked but have you figured out your TDEE and BMR yet? If you're just going off what MFP says, you may not be eating enough especially for how much you're working out.

What does your workout include? Do you have any free weight days or is it all cardio?
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    muscle DOES weight more than fat--BUT--it sounds like you need to adjust your food intake. UP your protein and lower your carbs. I eat 30 gr of protein for breakfast, cheese stick snack, light sandwich for lunch and then some jello with fruit or a small salad and another cheese stick for dinner around 3 or 4. I so not eat after 5 PM now. I have a lot to lose but am losing a pound to two pounds a day right now. My exercise is a 2 mile FAST walk, with zumba and the rocking abs in between the days to vary. I always take Sunday off for a treat--but I don't go overboard with the treat. It will come--just sounds like you need to adjust what goes IN and WHEN it goes in. Good luck
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Holy moly!

- you are most likely retaining fluid in your muscle (glycogen and water) as you just started exercising - it's normal
    - other things cause water retention that can mask 'real' weight loss (sodium, our cycle, macro mix) so you need to look at things over a longer trend
    - weigh all food on a digital scale unless liquid - then measure or pre portioned.
    - eat 50 - 75% of your exercise calories back (to account for estimation errors)
    - you have not gained any appreciable muscle
    - eat mainly nutrient dense foods but you can have some treats (try not to have too much fast food as the calorie content can be off by quite a lot)
    - try to exceed your protein and fat goals (carbs are the variable)
  • ReginaBina
    Options
    It's all about what you put in your body. You can exercise like crazy but if you don't fuel your body with the right nutrition you won't see change and now a days just eating clean isn't enough. Our foods have pesticides, herbicides, hormones, antibiotics, etc. and by the time we eat it there really isn't much nutritional value left. Unless you grow your own food or buy organic products that cost an arm and a leg at the grocery store its kinda hard to get those nutrients. I know this because I was there 4 months ago until my nutritionist recommended I start using nutritional supplements. After starting on Isagenix I began to feel the difference, had more energy, wasn't tired and was able to train harder. I achieved amazing results in a short amount of time and I still continue to work out, the only difference is I fuel my body with the best nutrition on the market. It's organic and 100% undenatured whey protein grade 7. It's 85% nutrition and 15% exercise ;)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Just looked at the diary.

First thing I noticed was that you entered 850 calories burned for one hour on the elliptical. I think that's wildly optimistic, to the tune of 200-300 calories over actual burn. Where did you get the 850 number from? From the machine itself, an HRM, the MFP database, what?
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Holy moly!

- you are most likely retaining fluid in your muscle (glycogen and water) as you just started exercising - it's normal
    - other things cause water retention that can mask 'real' weight loss (sodium, our cycle, macro mix) so you need to look at things over a longer trend
    - weigh all food on a digital scale unless liquid - then measure or pre portioned.
    - eat 50 - 75% of your exercise calories back (to account for estimation errors)
    - eat mainly nutrient dense foods but you can have some treats (try not to have too much fast food as the calorie content can be off by quite a lot)

I came in here to say this. Food prep is quick, and they aren't measuring out all of the ingredients to make things match up the nutritional info. It would be very easy to underestimate the number of calories in each item, especially since they are so calorie dense. The quickest way for me to stall out on my weight loss is to eat out a lot, I've done it and seen what happens. Occasionally is fine, but when it's often the miscalculations can really add up.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Holy moly!

I came in here to say this. Food prep is quick, and they aren't measuring out all of the ingredients to make things match up the nutritional info. It would be very easy to underestimate the number of calories in each item, especially since they are so calorie dense. The quickest way for me to stall out on my weight loss is to eat out a lot, I've done it and seen what happens. Occasionally is fine, but when it's often the miscalculations can really add up.

I think that's a bunch of bunk. I probably eat more fast food than anyone else on MFP and my weight loss has been right on target for almost 5 months now. Feel free to look through my diary since January.
  • mimijaques
    mimijaques Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Give it one more week...my first couple of weeks I worked out and kept under calorie and din't lose..people said fat turning to muscle and weighs more..after that I have lost about 2lbs a week..although the work out has to get me upinto high cardio where you do feel like puking then you know you are working out hard enough. It is getting easier now for me....10 weeks 19 lbs...so keep going...and watch your sugar
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat perfectly healthily or give up fast food, sugar, or even alcohol in order to lose weight. You just have to eat less than you burn, and/or eat more than your basal metabolic rate if you are not severely obese. Either way the key component is accuracy in logging your caloric intake.

Do you use a heart rate monitor? A good HRM can be very helpful in getting a more accurate figure for calorie burn. Also, make sure you are tracking allll of your food, even the bites and nibbles here and there. Sometimes I had to have a day or two eating closer to maintenance before dropping my calories again in order to get results on the scale.

If all else fails, up your water intake for a while. Sometimes we get... backed up.

That's all I got. Hope it helps.

ETA: I lost 64 pounds before I even learned how to count macros and "eat clean" so.... do what you want with that.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Holy moly!

I think that's a bunch of bunk. I probably eat more fast food than anyone else on MFP and my weight loss has been right on target for almost 5 months now. Feel free to look through my diary since January.

Right on target from what? From what is predicted with online calculators and other estimators as to what your TDEE is?