Should I Cheat On My..

Options
Its been one week since I began cutting. I've stayed at my 1800 cals mark, and pretty much fit all my macros without going too overboard. I've gone to the gym every single day, and I already feel more refreshed and in shape than I have in a long time. However, I decided to allow myself a cheat meal every Saturday to keep me going.. I've been craving a Chophouse Cheddar burger, fries, and chocolate milk shake from Whataburger for days now.. Do yall think it'd be a smart decision to have this kind of cheat meal once every week? How often do you cheat? (if it all, in which case ill stick my tail between my legs and crawl back into my mud hole..)

Replies

• shelbielmiller
    shelbielmiller Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My answer is no only because I was in a similar situation a few days ago. It was my friend's birthday dinner, and we went to a Chinese buffet and had drinks after. I gained the two pounds back that I lost the previous week. I definitely ate way too much, and I regret it.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Yes...have fun....you dont gain 2 pounds overnight.
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I allow myself treats a few times a week but nothing too crazy. I don't do cheat meals though... usually when I go over my cals its because of alcohol intake rather than food. I log everything though except for vegetables (most days). I wouldn't have such a large cheat meal once a week. I'd maybe have one of those elements once a week. A milkshake one week and a burger the next or something. That way you have something to look forward to without having an immense amount of calories.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    My answer is no only because I was in a similar situation a few days ago. It was my friend's birthday dinner, and we went to a Chinese buffet and had drinks after. I gained the two pounds back that I lost the previous week. I definitely ate way too much, and I regret it.

Highly unlikely you ate enough to gain 2 genuine pounds of weight, unless you ate 7000 calories in excess of your maintenance, it will have been water weight.

To the Op, have your cheat meal, many here seem to have done this with success, and if it keeps you on track and sane, all the better. Just be sure it doesn't turn into a run of cheat meals or cheat days. And bear in mind, it will maybe cause a temporary weight gain from WATER retention. Many people on here seem to think they can magically gain 2 Ibs of genuine weight overnight, lol.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

You gained water weight from the sodium in the Chinese food and probably have extra fecal material that has not yet been expelled due to the increased volume of food you consumed.

OP: Having a cheat day, break day, cheat meal, etc will not derail you. You may get there faster if you never, ever have a cheat day but don't you want to live at the same time?
  • Sarabelle43
    Options
    Maybe just pick one OMGDROOL thing? The burger OR the fries OR the shake... but not all 3?

I had a piece of a kids birthday cake at work Wednesday, thinking it would be my once a week spluge... and it was a gateway drug to all sorts of bad life choices. Finally, STARTING to get back on track... but ate a bit too much crap today still.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options

Just no. You retained water, most likely from an excessive sodium intake.

To the O.P, I have a cheat meal/day every Saturday, just make sure you aren't going over your calories and try and fit it into your macros and it will not stunt you at all, infact if I didn't incorporate cheat meals I think I'd have given up at day 2. Just try not to go all out, don't beat yourself up if you do though, I've had days where I can't stop eating but overall I still lose weight that week. Although I feel awful after I do that so I try keep that to a minimum ;)
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Do it. Keeps you sane, and it's not realistic to cut out foods forever, limit them or ration them, but for godssake don't give them up.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I think for people who have a training plan or workout plan or whatever that is a bit more than walking around the block yeah a cheat meal a week is fine (within reason I could pack in 2 days worth of calories not good) especially if you aren't eating back anything during the week.

But, for people who are morbidly obese or have a binging problem, this probably isn't the greatest idea. No food should be off limits, but should be worked into the plan for the day or accounted for with an extra work out and calorie reductions elsewhere. Yeah I know people will disagree, but it really is safe to lose a bit more and to not have a cheat meal where you take in massive amounts of calories. Indulgences should be on the smaller side IMO.
  • shelbielmiller
    shelbielmiller Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm new to this whole fitness/workout thing. I was all upset about the whole 2 lbs. Thanks for the info.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Eating ain't cheatin'
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Average it over the week. If you're gonna be over by 600 calories on Saturday, just make sure you eat 100 less the other 6 days.
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Its been one week since I began cutting. I've stayed at my 1800 cals mark, and pretty much fit all my macros without going too overboard. I've gone to the gym every single day, and I already feel more refreshed and in shape than I have in a long time. However, I decided to allow myself a cheat meal every Saturday to keep me going.. I've been craving a Chophouse Cheddar burger, fries, and chocolate milk shake from Whataburger for days now.. Do yall think it'd be a smart decision to have this kind of cheat meal once every week? How often do you cheat? (if it all, in which case ill stick my tail between my legs and crawl back into my mud hole..)

I eat whatever I have been craving every Saturday. But I just chock it up to my new lifestyle and don't call it a cheat day. It's just and extra high calorie day. In deficit the rest of the week. :)
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    it ill be totally fine, and its better that you just do it, enjoy it aka have a positive eating experience, or a negative one "mmm... that wasn't that nice at all, I think ill just stick to my _____"

eat it, log it and if you feel like burning it off add some extra exercise, or you could plan ahead so you have spare cals.

in any case, go ahead dude, just not every day lol.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    I stopped reading after realizing you werent going to finish that first sentence continuing from the subject line... wtf is that about?
  • JeremiahStone
    JeremiahStone Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I stopped reading after realizing you werent going to finish that first sentence continuing from the subject line... wtf is that about?

not really sure.. guess being on low carb for a week messes with a guys head..
  • TheNewAdventuresofDanni
    Options
    Clearly the next word is diet, if you actually read the post...

not really sure.. guess being on low carb for a week messes with a guys head..
  • FindingMyself24
    FindingMyself24 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Sundays are my treat days... It keeps me focused during the week...if I want something bad enough I know I'll have my treat day coming! Plus helps me to not feel so deprived!
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm new to this whole fitness/workout thing. I was all upset about the whole 2 lbs. Thanks for the info.
    It'll drop straight back down really quickly, just try avoid too much sodium :) I was at a festival and after apparently gained around 5-6 pounds in 3 days, but I know fine well it was all those chips and cheese!
  • Ilovevwgolf
    Ilovevwgolf Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Instead of once a week maybe every fortnight or every 10 days..?