ITALY- Has anyone travelled/studied abroad while dieting???

Options
Hey all!

So I am about to embark on a 3 week study abroad trip to Italy (gasp- so excited!) Sadly, I must leave MFP and my scale behind during this time.... *panic panic panic*

Does anyone have any tips for maintaining weight loss progress while in a foreign country? We are provided with continental breakfast each morning, which I am confident I can keep diet-friendly, however, we will be eating out for most of our lunches and dinners. And lets not forget about the night life...

Don't get me wrong, I do not want to be obsessing about this the whole time I am there. But I do want to stay on track. And because I am on that last 10 pounds, the slightest calorie differences make a huge difference- I am constantly fluctuating. If anyone has some clever tips for keeping track of my calories, for healthy choices to choose in Italy, or just how to say "NO" to the nice Italian man offering me more gelato without seeming like an American prude, I would love to hear them!!!

Thanks for reading- hoping to hear back <3

Replies

• aidrenner
    aidrenner Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi I went to Italy last year and wasnt really trying to diet. In fact we were in such a small town eating was sometimes the most exciting thing. Overall I ended up loosing weight, yes we were very busy during the day but I don't feel like I did anymore activity then when I was home. The food there is so much more fresh and clean so even if you do eat a lot it's prepared in a better way. Just remember it's a trip and if you want some cake why not :) have fun!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I went to Italy for two weeks last year while I was in the midst of losing the first 50 lbs. I didn't stress too much. I watched portion sizes, didn't go overboard on desserts, packed dried fruit and nuts for on-the-move snacks and walked a lot. When I got back, I had dropped seven pounds. I'm a vegetarian, so I had a lot of pasta and pizza, but I tried to make sure to add as many vegetables as possible. One thing I like to do, if I have access to a fridge in the near future, is pack up half of the meal before I start eating. That way, I stop at a reasonable portion rather than trying to estimate when I've reached half and continually deciding "just one more bite won't hurt". It's only three weeks. Worst case scenario is you gain a few pounds while you're making memories that will last. So long as you don't lose the good habits you've learned, you'll be fine. Have fun.
  • Dfracassa
    Dfracassa Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna go ahead and bump this because I'm going to Italy for two weeks this September for my honeymoon, and I'd like to hear others' experiences. I've already planned on everything, as I've told my fiance, and drinking all the wine. But not gaining a million pounds would be nice.
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    In general, you will walk your *kitten* off (literally) in Italy, so just watch your portion and minimize the gelato exposure and you should be fine. Enjoy it!!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Oh! Where will you be? I totally lost 25 pounds living in Rome for 7 months. It was accidental, and is what kick-started my weight loss. Um, I at a lot of pizza, gelato, rotisserie chicken, and iced tea. No clue at all how I lost weight, even with all the walking, haha... Why will you not be able to log? Will you not have access to internet?
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    yes, i was in italy for a foreign exchange program for about 2 weeks.
    we did so much walking around it really didn't even matter honestly. i just tried to not stuff myself full at each meal, and when i came home i think i maybe gained like 3 pounds which went away pretty quickly.
    just make smart choices, stay active and you should be fine. you only may get that one chance to go so don't cheat yourself out of amazing opportunities (food wise). i prolly never will be able to go over there again so i'm glad i did get to experience the culture and not just live off salad the whole time.
    oh and the discotheques, where we stayed anyway were open til like 5am so just dance all those calories off!
    where in italy are you going?
    watch out for the mimes and street performers if you end up in venezia, they don't know how to take no as an answer.

eta: it also may be easier and less stressful for yourself if you aim to maintain while you are away, that may be more obtainable and manageable instead of trying to lose still
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Italy is not the place to diet. The food is just too good! I found I actually lost weight in Italy because of all of the walking. Never took a cab or a bus and frequently walked over 10 miles per day. Just make sure you have very comfortable shoes. Enjoy!
  • anjuli_mack
    anjuli_mack Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I ate everything in Italy and put on 4-5KG in a month :D aha I loved it though. Gelato and everything ((:
    hehe you have to go and enjoy yourself!
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Italy is not the place to diet. The food is just too good! I found I actually lost weight in Italy because of all of the walking. Never took a cab or a bus and frequently walked over 10 miles per day. Just make sure you have very comfortable shoes. Enjoy!

^
    You will walk. A LOT. You won't notice it, because you will be eating amazing food, looking at paradise all around you, basking in the most perfect light this planet gets, and listening to the most fascinating people in the world get on with their wonderfully busy lives.

Make sure you have a gelato or three while you're there, and finish every meal with a shot of limoncello- even if you are not a drinker.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    For goodness sake's woman.

You're going to Italy. Enjoy yourself and indulge.

Whatever 1 or 2 pounds you may or may not put on is well worth the experience of enjoying Italy to the fullest. It's not like you can't lose it again when you get home.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    For goodness sake's woman.

You're going to Italy. Enjoy yourself and indulge.

Whatever 1 or 2 pounds you may or may not put on is well worth the experience of enjoying Italy to the fullest. It's not like you can't lose it again when you get home.

This.

When I went to Italy, I enjoyed myself fully, including the wonderful food. I didn't feed myself until I was so stuff that I couldn't move, but I also didn't stress myself out trying to diet while I was there. That's just silly.
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I first started exercising/eating healthy a little while before I studied in Germany (for 3 months) and tried to keep it up there, but gave up logging when I was tempted by bakeries on every corner, delicious food, etc. and just had fun because I knew I only had a limited time there. But all the walking I was doing kept me thin, I actually lost ~5 pounds by the time I got home.

So my advice...go on the trip, enjoy the pizza (it's unbelievable) and pasta and everything else, and just try to keep active. Don't take the metro more than you have to, walk when you can, get out for a bit of extra exercise when you have time...but DON'T skimp on the food! It's too tasty! Pizza back home has never been the same since I went to Italy hahah
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I will agree with the others. We were there for 3 weeks and we walked and walked and walked and walked-lots of stairs and uphills! We had cappuccino and a chocolate croissant every morning. Don't ask for cappuccino at night-only the tourists do that. You drink espresso at night if you want coffee. My husband and I shared each dish at meals and drank a bottle of wine between us-sometimes 2x a day;-)) Oh the food, oh the food-magnifico!
    At the end of our trip I lost 3 pounds and my husband gained 2.
    It's the walking- you just do it all day long so the amazing food doesn't have a chance to stick to your body. Drink lots of water-you'll need it with all the walking.
    Enjoy! We are leaving for the Amalfi Coast in 2 weeks and I can't wait!!!!!
  • KidTarget
    KidTarget Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My wife and I went to Rome last october, and frankly, we found that we were doing so much walking during the trip we had plenty of calories to burn at meals. On the day we went to Naples/Pompeii I logged 25,000 steps on my Fitbit. Also, something to consider is the difference in the way Americans and Europeans eat. For instance, My wife and I found that the portions of the meals we were eating were much smaller, and much less meat was used. Granted we went out of our way to avoid the more touristy resturants, and went local as best we could.

Also, as a side note, if you do go to Naples visit La Antica or another of the pizzerias there, it'll ruin you on American pizza. They use very little cheese comparitively, and what cheese they do use is fresh. Aslo they use a thin layer of sauce, and the crust is almost like a cracker. Plus one pizza is enough for one person, it's well worth the extra calories.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    it's 3 weeks - how long did it take you to gain what you are trying to lose?

on another note - i studied abroad, in the USA, for a year, and lost about 20lbs without even trying when i returned to switzerland - food just didn't taste the same (huh, it was real).

and when i studied for a few weeks in st. petersburg, russia, i actually lost weight - couldn't stomach the local cuisine.

as for italy - pay attention not to eat past being hungry, and you should be fine. their traditional cooking is quite healthy, you just have to be able to say 'no' politely.

oh, and practise eating spaghetti with only a fork, from a bowl with no rim :wink:
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    this has nothing to do with your upcoming trip and everything to do with what you are associating it with. if you view studying abroad and vacation to binge eating and experiencing food without restriction, then you will fall prey to repercussions of that life. I often travel overseas, sometimes for months...and in very remote regions of the world. Although perhaps you cannot possibly maintain a certain level of fitness, you can certainly remain vigilant. sadly, in the USA, dieting is even easier than overeating. You can track calories, exercise, heart rate, calories burned. But I must argue that in any country you can do the same, if you understand your limits and your habits.
  • Ranocchia
    Ranocchia Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am Italian. Where are you going to live? Write to me if you need tips.
    Ciao!
  • labeachgirl
    labeachgirl Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    We walked everywhere and lost weight, but I think we sweated it out (it was late June) and bought fresh stuff at the store most of the time.

If you can, go to Cinque Terre and make a day of walking between the 5 towns, it's a workout! It's like stairmaster from hell! lol But so beautiful.
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options

This is exactly it. My husband and I were in Italy and Paris last year for 2 weeks and we walked EVERYWHERE and I ate what I wanted. A vacation.. especially there is not a place to diet.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    My experience while traveling abroad...I've always lost weight. You don't have big friggin' USA portions and you walk your *kitten* everywhere.