JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    1001830_130230867183462_671263237_n.jpg

Seems to work fine for me.

My "24 hour clock" must be broken. :drinker:
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    If I eat cake now but dont log it until tomorrow, is that also confusing to anything?
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I did it all the time on my cut. I would go over quite a bit on my cheat day, usually saturday. I would also usually go over by a smaller amount on Friday, because that morning was weigh in and I knew I had a week to make it up. I was always way low Monday-Thursday, so I averaged out over the week.

If you gain fat from overeating for one day, then you will equally lose the same amount by under eating the same amount the next day. That is an over simplification, but still. Yes, it will average out. What matters is long term patterns, not short term daily totals.

However, that is just the math of it. That was part of my plan, going over on the weekends and making it up. You don't want to fall into the trap of spontaneously going over, thinking you can always make it up. Don't do it unless it was actually part of your plan.
  • Mjhnbgff
    Mjhnbgff Posts: 112
    Options
    I've done that in the mistaken believe that my undereat day will cancel out my overeat day but it doesn't work that way. I just end up getting too hungry or tired and then I overeat again. Just get back on track and continue to eat right. If you're asking because you want to plan an overeat or cheat day, you're better off just working out more. It's never a good idea to find ways to cheat.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I've done that in the mistaken believe that my undereat day will cancel out my overeat day but it doesn't work that way. I just end up getting too hungry or tired and then I overeat again. Just get back on track and continue to eat right. If you're asking because you want to plan an overeat or cheat day, you're better off just working out more. It's never a good idea to find ways to cheat.

First,
    I'd argue that it's more important to learn self control. The problem you experienced wasn't some unique situation where calories didn't balance out day to day... the problem was that you couldn't control yourself to make up for day you ate over your goal.

Second,
    For anyone living in the real world, living a real life, there are going to be days you go over. Sometimes that will be intentional, sometimes not. Either way, you have to be able to either, a) put it behind you and move on (like you suggested), or b) control yourself the next day or 2 to make up for it.

Third,
    The better habits you develop regarding eating and calories, the better. The idea that someone has to do "pennance exercise" to make up for extra calories is a terrible mindset to have (IMO). Control your diet (see my first point) to control your weight. Exercise to be stronger, faster, look better, and be healthier.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I don't carry forward my deficits (or "bank" my calories), but I do try to make up for an overage within a reasonable amount of time. I used to keep track of it in my notes, but I'm not as worried about it now-a-days.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Hope the MBA is not in nutrition.

Just for those that don't know... an MBA is Masters of Business Arts... not science.

Actually, here in the states it is a Master's of Business Administration and is a masters of science degree, not a master's of arts. It's typically 18 classes and takes around 4 years to complete if you do the program part time by working full-time. It's pretty standard at all schools and yes, it's science not art. At least here in the states.

Uuuummmm ... You have claimed many, many times that you live in Germany.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Hope the MBA is not in nutrition.

Just for those that don't know... an MBA is Masters of Business Arts... not science.

Actually, here in the states it is a Master's of Business Administration and is a masters of science degree, not a master's of arts. It's typically 18 classes and takes around 4 years to complete if you do the program part time by working full-time. It's pretty standard at all schools and yes, it's science not art. At least here in the states.

Uuuummmm ... You have claimed many, many times that you live in Germany.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • KyliAnne26
    KyliAnne26 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    *edited... too much stupidity to argue with*

Hahaha, I feel the same way. If the 24-hour clock guy and his doc are right, I'd be interested to hear their explanation for why intermittent fasting works for people, lol.
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    I sometimes go over. Instead of reducing my calories the next day I might add a little extra exercise. I get crabby if I dont have a certain amount of cals and can easily go into a binge if I deprive for too long. So play it out, feel it out, your body will definitely let you know. As one person said its a bad habit to get into..but like another said weekly goals are good too. I do both daily and weekly goals, if im over on a day but still under on my week, however I got there...Im a happy girl! :)
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options

perfectly said
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Your body is on a 24 hour clock. Sorry. You can't make stuff up. You can of course log a bad day and do better tomorrow and the next day. :)

No, it's not!!!

OP, of course you can do that! It's what I do and it works very well for me.
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    Calorie cycling is how thin people who don't count calories remain thin. It's intuitive eating. You "know" one day you've eaten too much, so the next day you make better choices and therefore eat less calories without knowing the exact number.
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    I do this pretty often. I will have 2000 calorie days and then 1300 calorie days. So far it hasn't hindered my progress. Mostly it happens on days I've worked really late, don't eat much at work to begin with and then have a lot of food to cook/consume when I get home. Sometimes I'm just tired, so I'll try to pack in as much calorie and usually protein dense food as I can and then don't sweat it. I know it will balance out in the long run and it has.

Right, see you said "1300" there's people in this topic talking about going under a bunch of days...so under 1,200. When you're going under you're at say...1300. I don't think there's anything healthy about say: 3,000 (Monday), 2,000 (Tuesday), 800 (Wed-Thurs since you're banking a bunch of calories), 1100 (Friday--gotta BANK UP for the weekend) and 2,500 both Sat-Sun. WTF is that. Your body is not a bank and you can't bank up anything.

You asked "WTF is that"? It's called Life! What do you think people who don't count calories do? According to you, they all have an eating disorder?!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    All. The. Time. I aim for a weekly average as a goal since I noticed this. I focus on my net cals.
  • jennifershoo
    Options

First,
    I'd argue that it's more important to learn self control. The problem you experienced wasn't some unique situation where calories didn't balance out day to day... the problem was that you couldn't control yourself to make up for day you ate over your goal.

Second,
    For anyone living in the real world, living a real life, there are going to be days you go over. Sometimes that will be intentional, sometimes not. Either way, you have to be able to either, a) put it behind you and move on (like you suggested), or b) control yourself the next day or 2 to make up for it.

Third,
    The better habits you develop regarding eating and calories, the better. The idea that someone has to do "pennance exercise" to make up for extra calories is a terrible mindset to have (IMO). Control your diet (see my first point) to control your weight. Exercise to be stronger, faster, look better, and be healthier.

QFT
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I don't think punishment works! Also, it's more important to make sure you get the proper nutrition. I try to keep my overages during the week under 100 calories over, and on the weekend under 300. Generally during the week I don't go over more than 1 day during the week anyway. If I had a crazy Saturday, I try not to go over at all on Sunday.
  • lexherrera
    lexherrera Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I generally think of it in a weekly timeframe as well. Life is way too short to worry about going 300 calories over on chocolate cake at a friend's birthday party on Friday when you ate well all week.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Technically, this is a matter of sample size. All that really matter is if your caloric intake trends up wards or downwards, and if your weight coincides with that upward or downward trend. Logic would assume that with a downward trend in intake, weight would follow. Whether that be weekly, monthly, daily or hourly., with due diligence, it is traceable. There is no merit to viewing a "week" as seven days or viewing a month as 30. There is only the end goal of X% bodyfat or Y lbs lost.
  • Chubbyhole
    Options
    Im hoping to get some guidance from you. Is your calorie goal a set number of calories? My goal is 1200.... But if I add my exercise then my fitness pal ups my calorie goal... seems so counter intuitive... Im not an idiot but what i am doing is not working .....