What foods do you want to stay away from?

Options
13»

Replies

• FedoraNinja
    Options
    I can't eat Chex Mix in moderation. Like, it's just not something I've ever successfully done. I've gorged myself to sickness on that stuff in the past.

Since I don't feel particularly deprived by not having it, I simply choose not to buy any. There's no nutritionally redeeming qualities about Chex Mix anyway. :noway:

Otherwise, I haven't cut any foods out. You have to get used to measuring portions and only bringing the appropriate amount with you out of the kitchen. Don't ever bring the whole bag of chips or box of cookies or whatever.
  • JaimeLaRae
    JaimeLaRae Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I am a night eater too! The worst part is that it's usually after I've already gone to bed & wake up in the kitchen eating flour tortillas or white bread with margarine. :grumble: I also need to just make sure these things aren't in the house. Otherwise, I try to avoid fast food of any sort, processed foods, and sweets. I do enjoy cooking so when I have the time, it's not difficult to prepare a healthy meal for us. Good luck! Jaime
  • YoshiZelda
    YoshiZelda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    None.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    undercooked/overcooked food
    food that has fallen on a dirty floor
    spoiled food
    yucky food
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Cilantro - can't stand the stuff. :tongue:
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Basically anything that tastes good or gives you any degree of pleasure should be nixed. Losing weight is an exercise in self-denial. You have to hate yourself enough that you enjoy denying yourself things.

Just kidding. Cut out the processed crap and soda. Diet soda is fine. Wine, beer, etc. should be a once-a-week thing, if that.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals.

I avoid or reduce my intake of nitrates (processed lunch meat), simple sugars (except fruit), white flours, corn syrup, hydrogenated oil, butter, fatty meat, and red meat.

Of course I eat all of the above things, I just limit them.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I try not to "take away" anything . However I personally struggle with sweets. I find I keep it as a special treat or avoid it. I hope once I'm better at self control and making better choices it will be easier to allow sweets. I become a monster once I get my fingers on them so I stay away.
  • heywithers
    heywithers Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I stay away from soda, fruit juice, noodles, anything bread related really except maybe a piece of toast in the morning, potatoes (very rarely), candy, pizza, burgers, hot dogs, chips, butter, alcohol

I was losing weight pretty steadily but now it has stopped it seems :frown:

The cravings get worse and worse every day and I feel like I am just going to lose it one day and eat all the food lol so yeah for some people moderation probably works best because there is less restriction but I am trying for faster results.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Okra is pretty nasty. Fuzzy on the outside and slimy on the inside.
  • ryanna01
    ryanna01 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I have cut tomatoes out of my diet since I was born. I hate tomatoes. Yuck!!!
    I hate tomatoes too :P
  • toimisaki
    toimisaki Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I really agree! I won't tell anyone else what to avoid, but I know that for me, I feel 100% better and look better too, when I stick with real food. No crap.
    Whatever you decide to avoid...replace it with a healthy alternative!

It isn't really a will power issue at all, processed foods zap my energy and make me want to overeat. Good food makes me feel so much better. Lately I have cut out breads too, and replaced them with brown rice and oats. Not because they are bad, especially my beloved whole grain...but they trigger cravings in me somehow.

MFP helps me to keep track of calories and moderate all the GOOD foods I am eating. I go fairly high calorie, lots of nuts, avocado, coconut oil, veggies, fruit, eggs, tofu, etc etc. If I go too low calorie I lose control, and I want to keep my metabolism burning. If I go too high I won't lose. But it is really easy to keep the balance with a healthy diet. At 52 years old, losing weight this easily and feeling this good is a huge reward and incentive.

My MFP ticker is in kilos, but actually I have lost 30 pounds so far and it's FUN!

Good luck!!
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    All in moderation but I try to stay away from white bread, white rice etc. It makes me feel bloated, never noticed until I started cutting it out.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...since I'm on a diet now...

Stop dieting. Diets are temporary. This needs to be a permanent lifestyle change. Don't eliminate your favorite foods. Just make sure you eat within your calorie goals and that you make healthy choices most of the time. :flowerforyou:
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    i avoid all fried foods. no fast foods. ,except Subway if u count it lol > no potatoes, no rice nothing with white bleached flour, bacon, restaurant made/frozen pizza, let's see.. uhm.. anything horrible really
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I stay away from everything without a point. So I wouldn't eat anything that doesn't do anything for me. My food needs to be either full of nutrients or I have to love it. For example I don't like but also don't mind cottage cheese and cream (i know I'm weird), cottage cheese is good so I eat it cream isn't so I don't. Also crisps and chocolate, both very yummy and 'bad' I can live without crisps, so I do. I can't live without chocolate so I eat some pretty much every day (in moderation of course)

Staying away from certain foods because other people (as long as it's not your doctor) say so is not a good idea, eat what you can't live without and stay away from things that you don't care about and that doesn't do anything for you

The key is to really listen to yourself! Don't eat things because you think you should like it. Like cream on cake for example. I ate that for years... Until I noticed I like the cake better without (and it's less calories that way, so win win)
  • Jan3D
    Jan3D Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth after every meal and that toothpaste taste doesn't go with crap food. Get yourself some really good high cocoa chocolate and treat yourself to a small piece every night. Savor it.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I only want to stay away from meat because I haven't eat it regularly since I became vegetarian when I was eleven. Since then, I added fish back in.

Unfortunately, as a pregnant woman, I have to keep away from anything that risks listeriosis, salmonella etc (soft cheese, raw eggs). Also, having just found out I probably have gestational diabetes, there will be a long list of foods to try to keep away from soon too. :cry:
  • tameejean
    tameejean Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I think one of my biggest problems is eating at night. I will always get hungry because i'm a night owl and am up until around 12-1. But my problem is what I eat. I'll eat whatever is closest and easiest and that's normally candy,chips, and chocolate. Anyone have any tips on how I can beat these midnight munchies

My husband works the graveyard shift and I've had this same problem. What helps is a (roughly) 12 hour fast. My first "meal" of the day (pre-workout snack) is at 7:00 AM, so I stop eating at 7:00 PM. Sometimes I might be slightly over/under on the "fast" but I try to come close. Anyway, this has helped me to not "night binge" immensely. HTH!