Why No Yolks?

Options

Replies

• Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I have high cholesterol so the recommended daily max for me is 200mg. One large egg yolk contains 185mg of cholesterol.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    The yolks contain cholesterol and the bulk of the calories. The white of the egg is essentially nothing but albumen.

Cholesterol is essential.

http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm
    And why the body can manufacture it, just in case some one thinks it the devil.:wink:

Then, by definition, cholesterol is not essential.

For clarity, the body only produces about 75% of the needed cholesterol. The rest must be obtained from dietary sources. So yes, dietary cholesterol is, in fact, necessary.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    The only reason is have started taking mine out is to lessen the calouries and fat in taking in, and I love the yolks so im missing out:grumble:
  • joe2626
    joe2626 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Well we keep chickens so eggs are abundant for my family so it feels less wasteful to not use the yolk. I'm the only one watching what I eat in my family so if they make an omelette they'll add in one of my discarded yolks (which I keep in a container in the fridge) and i've recently suggested that we use them to make some mayonnaise. They're also there if people need them for baking etc. They're a great source of protein and help me meet my high daily protein goal alot of the time.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I think I will have a couple of sunny side up for breakfast since this this thread has made me hungry.:wink:
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    You do not like them.
    SO you say.
    Try them! Try them!
    And you may.
    Try them and you may I say.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Because people LOVE wasting eggs. I can't stand people who have no good reason to not eat them. Either eat the FULL friggen thing or dont eat it at all. Separating it is NOT going to help you.... it would be like trying to get rid of the starch in potatoes. :mad:

Waste of a damn egg.
  • Cutting4life
    Cutting4life Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    i eat about 6 whole eggs a day
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I used to love a fried egg sandwich or when you have a fried egg and eat all the white and pop the yolk in in one and it pops it your mouth (very greedy but so so good) but since I had my last baby I hate egg yolks. Being able to still eat the whites gets some of the goodness without throwing up. What sucks even more than no longer liking eggs is that at the same time I also stopped liking bacon :sad: I LOVED bacon but now I can't stand the taste of it. I love the smell and it makes me want to eat it but as soon as I take that first bite its yuck. Its a blooming good job my son is awesome because for him I have given up 2 of the most amazing foods ever.
  • Kingeight
    Kingeight Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    There are few thing better than an over easy egg on top of a hamburger (turkey, chicken, bison, ect) patty.
  • NoWeighJose74
    NoWeighJose74 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Mother Nature cries whenever you throw out the yolk.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    EAT THE YOLKS! :laugh:
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Why no yolks??? I think eggs are sooo boring without yolks!!! I need a good answer before i start chucking them away.
    For me, it's strictly a calorie issue. The yolk has most of the calories. I'll mix, say, 2 egg whites with a whole egg for an omelette or scrambled. But I eat whole hard boiled eggs whenever I feel like it. They are yummy.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Because people love to throw away nutritious foods to lose weight. It's kind of tragic.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Mother Nature cries whenever you throw out the yolk.

Jimmer cries when you throw out the yolk......

no yolk makes Jimmer a sad boy......
  • ruthruro1
    ruthruro1 Posts: 5
    Options
    The only reason i can see is that the egg yolk is mostly fat.. while the rest its protein...but if it is in your macros..you cant eat them.!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    If it fits my fat macro for the day, I eat it, if not I save it for custard or something.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    eat the yokes.....oh and eat some bacon while you're at it :)
  • BarbraP44
    BarbraP44 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I use 1 egg white with 1 whole egg for omelets, scrambled eggs.

My husband, who use to be a bodybuilder, would eat about 10 eggs each morning. He was asked to participate in a study done by Washington University between runners and weight lifters. He had 0, yes zero, body fat, healthy cholesterol levels. (this was done about 30 years ago) There were many cons on why eggs were not healthy but the new pro is that eggs are healthy, giving you healthy cholesterol. Don't shy from the yolks. Remember God created a perfect food in the egg.
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    ive had high cholesterol previously and i eat about ave 8 eggs everyday.. that's a bit much of fat and cholesterol for most anyone.

so i just eat one yolk every 2-3 days.