Deadlift Dizziness

Options
I am really enjoying doing deadlifts, except for one thing - when I stand up after a set, I am very lightheaded. It seems to be getting worse. Today I was so dizzy that I lost my balance, smacked my face into the squat rack behind me and gave myself a fat lip.

What am I doing wrong? I am not dehydrated or sick, eating lots of protein.
???

Replies

• Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Set up a bench near where you're lifting and take a seat right when the sets done.

Are you breathing properly throughout?
  • veganstein
    veganstein Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I guess I have not been paying attention to my breathing. What should it look like?
  • DarthKity
    DarthKity Posts: 16
    Options
    I get this too...it also makes me so queezy that i've even throm up once lol
    Would really like to be able to do them without feeling like i;ve been hit with a truck after lol
    x
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I agree with checking your breathing. I inhale when I get into position, exhale on the lift, and inhale again as I put the weight down. I do all the breaths slowly, and don't "hold" it.

If that style of breathing doesn't work for you, try the reverse.

Also, make sure your form is good.
  • dark_angel1554
    dark_angel1554 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I use to get lightheaded not only when I was working out, but just in daily life too. As it turns out, I needed more iron. My mother is anemic, and I inherited it. I now take iron supplements, and I don't get it anymore.
    Not sure if it's the same for you...but I just thought I would throw that out there.

Also in agreement with your breathing.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I take a few deep fast breath before lifting and after and it help a lot.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It's pretty common when you're pulling heavy. Make sure you're breathing right and have a bench right there waiting for you when you're done. Sit down and rest for a couple of minutes. I've almost straight up passed out after doing a 1RM.
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    From EliteFTS:
    As with most exercises, you must learn how to breathe. Stand in front of a mirror and take a deep breath. Do your shoulders rise? If so, then you need to learn how to breathe. Learn to pull your air into your diaphragm. In other words, use your belly! Pull as much air into your belly as possible, then when you think you have all you can get, pull more. The deadlift isn’t started by driving your feet into the floor; it’s started by driving your belly into your belt and hips flexors.

One note on holding air while you pull: You do need to try and hold your air as long as possible, but this can only last for a few seconds while under strain because you will pass out. So for a long pull, you’re going to have to breathe or you’ll hit the floor… and people will stare. While there are several people out there who may think this is a cool thing, I disagree. It’s much cooler to make the lift!

So when you reach the point where you begin to really have to fight with the weight, let out small bursts of air. Don’t let all of it out at one time or you’ll lose torso tightness and that will cause the bar to drop down. By letting out small bursts, you can keep your tightness, continue to pull, and lock out the weight.