Keep losing weight ( "unintentional") is it my diet?

Options
I'm an 18 year old female and I'm 5 foot 6. Just when school ended at the beginning of May, I was weighing in at 123 lbs ( I started a fitness journey in late January and my starting weight was 144lbs and ate unhealthy foods). I caught a head cold at the end of April. It went away for a week, and then "came back" as a chest cold. After two weeks with the nagging congestion and having to be at an internship where I had to have lighter breakfasts because i was running late, I managed to lose 5 lbs without noticing until I was at the ER at Children's hospital and they weighed me.

A week after that visit, I went on almost two week vacation to Disneyland. Yes, you walk a lot there but I hate churros, ice cream, Denny's, Pizza Hut, lots of snickerdoodle cookies, candy, pretzels, lots of fried chicken and fries, an occasional fruit, frozen lemonades, everything there is! I came back home and was still 118.
We returned on the 3rd of June.
I'm now 111lbs ( I may go up a pound if I'm bloated or haven't had a bowel movement in a couple of days).

I'm going to the pediatrician tomorrow because 5 days ago I was 114lbs. I'm really trying to sort out if it's my diet and if it's really worth seeing the doctor.

For breakfast, I eat a serving of whichever cereal (that ranges from 130 calls- 190 cals) plus a serving of 2 or 1% milk = 100 cals. Or, I may eat Nature valley bars.

I haven't had the chance to eat oatmeal so I may one of these days.

For lunch, when I'm home, I have a chicken sandwich ( it's like shredded- I can't explain it) with mayo on wheat bread. I add almost the whole bag of baked lays and have a bite of a cookie my mom has ( she has a lot hahaha)
If I'm out, i have a baked potato with cheese and ham. Or I get Subway ( chicken breast with lots of mayo and mozarella cheese).

For dinner, I usually have a cup, maybe more, of white rice with breaded Tilapia (costco). Lately, I've added a few bits of breaded chicken also from costco.

For a night snack, I have wheat crackers (5 maybe, the whole bag) on which most have peanut butter or nutella spread on them. I also have pineapple spears throughout the day or at night. I also eat apples.

Of course, I have the usual bite out of this and that....

Am I eating too little?
When I was trying to loose more weight, I would eat less than this and it was a struggle to loose, now they're shedding off me like the wind picks up leaves from the grounds.

***Edit: I've also ceased most of my exercise until I try to sort this out.

NOTE: I noticed my weight loss first not by the scale( because I wasn't weighing myself frequently), but by my thigh gap becoming bigger. My thighs used to touch at the very top. Now there's a considerable space.

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    First of all let me commend you on the use of paragraphs and the eating of delicious foods. I think maybe you're referring to canned chicken?

Anyway I'm no expert but it looks to me like you are eating well. I would be proud if I had a kid that was eating that way. I guess it might be time to see your doctor because unless you area doing some pretty insane workouts or have a regular routine or hobby that puts you thru regular workouts I don't see why you'd be losing.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Regular check ups are a good thing, regardless if you are sick or not. Seeing a doctor certainly can't help. If it makes you feel better, the same thing happened to me when I upped my calories to what I thought was maintenance. I lost 10 more lbs below my goal weight, and I seemed to lose this last bit faster than when I was 10 lbs over goal. I went to the doctor when this happened, she did blood work, and everything came back stellar.

When I was your age, I was 5'9" and 115 lbs without even trying, so it's possible it's just your genetics. I wouldn't worry too much.

Congrats on your healthy diet and the weight loss!
  • mariposasdeclaudia
    Options
    First of all let me commend you on the use of paragraphs and the eating of delicious foods. I think maybe you're referring to canned chicken?

Anyway I'm no expert but it looks to me like you are eating well. I would be proud if I had a kid that was eating that way. I guess it might be time to see your doctor because unless you area doing some pretty insane workouts or have a regular routine or hobby that puts you thru regular workouts I don't see why you'd be losing.

Hi. :) Thank you! I've always set in mind that eating clean doesn't mean eating foods that taste horribly.
    Yes! I think you're right. Mom does the groceries and I just remembered that did see a can of some sort.

Thank you for comments! It's been hard because my family doesn't eat like I do and I've had several arguments over which was the healthier option and having to opt out for a PB sandwich when all mom bought was Wendy's for my sister and KFC for herself. I've had to buy my foods when my mom just denies them to me.

I love running ever since i started and I was working on a better pace within a 5k distance. With the sickness and later the trip, I didn't run for a whole month! once back home, I ran once but that didn't help my situation with the weight loss so I'm only doing a few songs on Zumba Wii every other day and barely any core workouts.
    When I approached my mom on my weight loss, she first accused me of having bulimia and then anorexia. It was very hurtful. Nevertheless, after much thought and disagreements, she agreed to take me the doc.

So, you do thinkI I'm consuming enough calories?

Thank you for reply!
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I agree with you needing to see your doctor. Something is going on because you shouldn't be dropping weight that quickly. It might be a thyroid issue or something else. Get checked out.
  • mariposasdeclaudia
    Options
    Regular check ups are a good thing, regardless if you are sick or not. Seeing a doctor certainly can't help. If it makes you feel better, the same thing happened to me when I upped my calories to what I thought was maintenance. I lost 10 more lbs below my goal weight, and I seemed to lose this last bit faster than when I was 10 lbs over goal. I went to the doctor when this happened, she did blood work, and everything came back stellar.

When I was your age, I was 5'9" and 115 lbs without even trying, so it's possible it's just your genetics. I wouldn't worry too much.

Wow! I'm hoping that's just the case with me!

Thank you very much. It's been a life-changing choice.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Have you been logging your food in the food diary since the unintentional loss started? It might help you to see exactly how many calories you're eating now and if it is diet related how many to add to help stop the loss.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

this is actually a strong argument for the eat more to lose weight train of thought.
  • mariposasdeclaudia
    Options
    Have you been logging your food in the food diary since the unintentional loss started? It might help you to see exactly how many calories you're eating now and if it is diet related how many to add to help stop the loss.

I've never had a food diary. I've always just either read the nutritional Facts from the box, or looked it up on the internet before eating said food. Food diaries just don't work for me. I do my calculations in my mind and I tend to remember everything. However, I know the amount and content of the foods I've been eating, and they are more or less the same ( normal day to day variation).
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options

this is actually a strong argument for the eat more to lose weight train of thought.

Agreed! I had mentioned that in another thread today. If I had to do it over again, I would have eaten a tad more while in weight loss mode. I still love the results I've been given, so no harm, no foul, I guess.
  • mariposasdeclaudia
    Options
    Hey, guys!

I went to the pediatrician this morning. I left fairly unsatisfied with the way he verbally approached my situation and overall his attitude.

In summary, he told he is confident that it's my eating ( but ordered basic labs ), and did this "formula" to say that to MAINTAIN a weight of 115 lbs ( he wrote 115 because with clothes I weighed almost 115), I would to consume a daily 4,000 calories! I don't know about you, but the "basic formula" is 40kcal/kg/day. He doubled it. I don't know whats wrong with him, but never in my life have I consumed 4,000 calories in a day and kept at it. To think he would listen to me honestly and know that i know my body and my needs fairly well. I mean, how do you think I got to loose weight steadily and in a safe and healthy manner?

To say the least, I got very upset at his office. I told him upfront that there's no way that I should be eating 4000Kcal to maintain 115 minimum and I would not be eating that. He was very rude.

Also, I haven't been to the bathroom in 3 days and my lump in the left lower quadrant has gotten bigger (the abdomen is slightly elevated to the left and there's an appreciable "ball.") I've had a lump there, but it's bigger now. I'm weighing a bit more now ( almost 2lbs more!) from that lump I suppose and not going to the bathroom.

If the blood turns out okay ( perhaps he ordered very basic ones and thus won't show anything?), and i keep loosing weight, I guess I'll just increase intake ( same food, larger amount).

I already got the blood drawn and they will be sent to the doctor directly on Tuesday so we should be expecting a call that day.
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    Hey, guys!

I went to the pediatrician this morning. I left fairly unsatisfied with the way he verbally approached my situation and overall his attitude.

In summary, he told he is confident that it's my eating ( but ordered basic labs ), and did this "formula" to say that to MAINTAIN a weight of 115 lbs ( he wrote 115 because with clothes I weighed almost 115), I would to consume a daily 4,000 calories! I don't know about you, but the "basic formula" is 40kcal/kg/day. He doubled it. I don't know whats wrong with him, but never in my life have I consumed 4,000 calories in a day and kept at it. To think he would listen to me honestly and know that i know my body and my needs fairly well. I mean, how do you think I got to loose weight steadily and in a safe and healthy manner?

To say the least, I got very upset at his office. I told him upfront that there's no way that I should be eating 4000Kcal to maintain 115 minimum and I would not be eating that. He was very rude.

Also, I haven't been to the bathroom in 3 days and my lump in the left lower quadrant has gotten bigger (the abdomen is slightly elevated to the left and there's an appreciable "ball.") I've had a lump there, but it's bigger now. I'm weighing a bit more now ( almost 2lbs more!) from that lump I suppose and not going to the bathroom.

If the blood turns out okay ( perhaps he ordered very basic ones and thus won't show anything?), and i keep loosing weight, I guess I'll just increase intake ( same food, larger amount).

I already got the blood drawn and they will be sent to the doctor directly on Tuesday so we should be expecting a call that day.

Doctors dont always have all the answers...geesh 4000 cal seems like a lot, keep us posted. Prayers are with you <3
  • _rozamu
    _rozamu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later. Great information as I too continue to lose weight . . . .
  • mariposasdeclaudia
    Options
    Gabrielle, my mouth dropped when I heard 4000cal! I know it's not true. Not anywhere is it true.

Thank you! Prayers are appreciated.

To:
    _rozamu

How are you?
  • blackwidowdancer82
    blackwidowdancer82 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you for focusing on a healthy lifestyle. After reading your daily diet, I'd say try to get more vegetables in your diet. This has helped my health a lot. I've had a lot of success bettering my overall health through the Paleo diet. Also, one of my goals was weight loss as I was overweight...but the side benefit is that I found a lifestyle and way of eating that has improved every aspect of my health-physical, energy, emotional, healthier gums/teeth, less stress, no heart problems, more energy. I have friends that were slender but adopted Paleo eating for the energy and health benefits. My one friend adopted it to enhance athletic performance; she's a crossfit trainer. http://paleodietlifestyle.com/ is a website if you're interested in learning more. "Living Paleo" for Dummies is a book that changed my life.

I would try not to stress too much about the scale. I know when I was your age I had a lot going on in my life. I notice that when sometimes I'm really busy and/or stressed I lose weight. And surround yourself with positive and healthy people. I wish you the best!
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    111 lbs? Oh my goodness. I am at 120 and am quite thin at 5'6. When I get under 116 I start looking really bony and unhealthy. But perhaps you have a smaller frame than I do.

I think its good you are trying to take care of yourself. I think I would try increase my calories by choosing healthy but calorie dense choices for some time and continue to track my weight until it got to where you wanted. Then you could try to eat what feels normal to you and see if you stabilize. Good luck!
  • javajunco
    javajunco Posts: 81
    Options
    Even if the blood work comes back okay, I'd suggest considering switching to a different doctor. You don't trust him (probably for good reasons).

There are medical conditions and also side effects of some drugs that can cause the kind of weight loss that you are talking about, so it's really important to get a medical opinion from a doctor you trust.

That said, your calorie intake doesn't depend solely on your height, weight and age. It should also reflect your level of activity. If you are very active, adding a few snacks between meals might be a very good idea. You might consider carrying a couple of protien bars in your purse.
  • mariposasdeclaudia
    Options
    Kudos to you for focusing on a healthy lifestyle. After reading your daily diet, I'd say try to get more vegetables in your diet. This has helped my health a lot. I've had a lot of success bettering my overall health through the Paleo diet. Also, one of my goals was weight loss as I was overweight...but the side benefit is that I found a lifestyle and way of eating that has improved every aspect of my health-physical, energy, emotional, healthier gums/teeth, less stress, no heart problems, more energy. I have friends that were slender but adopted Paleo eating for the energy and health benefits. My one friend adopted it to enhance athletic performance; she's a crossfit trainer. http://paleodietlifestyle.com/ is a website if you're interested in learning more. "Living Paleo" for Dummies is a book that changed my life.

I would try not to stress too much about the scale. I know when I was your age I had a lot going on in my life. I notice that when sometimes I'm really busy and/or stressed I lose weight. And surround yourself with positive and healthy people. I wish you the best!

Thank you!
    I've heard of the Paleo diet on Runner's World message board. Never read it into it though! I'll take a lookise :)

Congratulations on turning your life around.You look awesome!
  • mariposasdeclaudia
    Options
    111 lbs? Oh my goodness. I am at 120 and am quite thin at 5'6. When I get under 116 I start looking really bony and unhealthy. But perhaps you have a smaller frame than I do.

I think its good you are trying to take care of yourself. I think I would try increase my calories by choosing healthy but calorie dense choices for some time and continue to track my weight until it got to where you wanted. Then you could try to eat what feels normal to you and see if you stabilize. Good luck!

I'd say I have an average frame with wide hips (everyone tells me this).

I didn't know i was losing weight until I saw myself in the mirror one morning after spending days not really looking at my body. My thigh gap had gotten bigger, my stomach had gotten a bit flatter, my spine and ribs were a bit noticeable.
    Then, my arm size shrunk considerably, especially on top.

A friend of mine has suggested to eat more grains and pasta (I don't like pasta...I can tolerate it.)
    Thank you for your advice!
  • mariposasdeclaudia
    Options
    Even if the blood work comes back okay, I'd suggest considering switching to a different doctor. You don't trust him (probably for good reasons).

There are medical conditions and also side effects of some drugs that can cause the kind of weight loss that you are talking about, so it's really important to get a medical opinion from a doctor you trust.

That said, your calorie intake doesn't depend solely on your height, weight and age. It should also reflect your level of activity. If you are very active, adding a few snacks between meals might be a very good idea. You might consider carrying a couple of protien bars in your purse.

I can't switch doctors. He's been my pediatrician since I was born and for now I, individually, do not decide which doctor I see. My mom does that and she will not allow me se another one. Also, she complained to the doctor today that I was the one pushing her here, so you can imagine how my mom stands in all this.

I've stopped any and every rigorous and high intensity cardio two weeks ago. I have only done 2-3 songs on Zumba Wii every 3 days or so. A sudden decrease in energy/interest motivated the cessation os said activities.

Also, I don't do groceries and it's been hard to buy foods i eat. No one eats healthy at my house ( or at least consistently healthy) so I have limited options.

My diet does not only consist of what I wrote down in my first post. I eat other things too like a variety of fruits ,salads, roast chicken, healthy meatloaf, turkey, peanut butter and nutella sandwiches, smoothies, etc.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    You're eighteen, not eight. It's up to you who you do or don't see.

Just try and maybe have an extra spoonful of peanut butter, a glass of milk, that kind of thing in the meantime.

You don't have to eat clean but at the same time, you don't have to eat everything that your mother wants to have. But that's probably one of the things that comes up for a lot of people when they are transitioning from child to adult, especially if their parents haven't grasped the difference yet.