Treadmill vs Elliptical trainer?

Options
7L551
7L551 Posts: 82 Member
Hello everyone,

So I'v been using the Elliptical trainer long time ago, and I usually burn around 1000 calories per 80 min
But to be completely honest I see most of the guys using the treadmill machine.

So which one do you guys find more effective, the treadmill or the Elliptical trainer machine? or perhaps you find another machine like the bicycle to be more effective.

Thank you :)

Replies

• toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    First of all, I don't trust the calorie burn estimates. I do use the elliptical at the gym, but I find it much more awkward to use at a high speed than a treadmill. I have a similar experience with the bicycle (regular, not a spinning bike). I find it difficult to pump at a high pace for long periods.

With a treadmill, you are carrying your own weight so I assume it's a better workout assuming your knees can take the impact. With the elliptical and the bike you are receiving more help from the machine (or at least that's my perception). But cross-training is good.
  • Moviegal77
    Moviegal77 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Personally I like both. I switch it up so my body doesn't get used to one or the other.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you do whatever helps you best achieve your fitness goals. I would also be very leery of 1000 calorie burn in 40 minutes.
  • g6944266047
    Options
    Hi, 1000 calories in 40 minutes is rather high. What distance does it record? I'm asking because it can be misleading you as to your net calories. I cannot get more than 320 calories per 30 min and I do almost 10 miles at that speed. Good luck and hang on anyway!
  • 7L551
    Options
    Sorry guys, I meant 1000 in 70-80 min.
    I usually do the 1000 calories on 2 sets of 35-40 min each at the very start and after I finish with the machines.
  • cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Elliptical machines generally burn more calories if you use the moving handles and you are moving more of your body (unless you flail your arms wildly back and forth while jogging). I have also heard they are better for cardio fitness improvement (though I cannot confirm, so you will have to check yourself).
    I prefer the elliptical myself. I have bad knees from multiple knee injuries in high school so it definitely is easier on them and good for strengthening them. I also find it easier, unlike someone above mentioned, to pedal quickly for long periods of time than to run for long periods of time.
    Overall it really depends on what you like best and want to accomplish.
  • 7L551
    Options
    yes my bad :P, I fixed the timing XD
    But yeah I burn around 500 cals per 35-40 min on level 16 resistance out of 25.
  • 7L551
    Options
    Thank you,
    I have a similar injury in my left foot where I can't run on it for more than 20 min :(
  • 122ish
    122ish Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    An elliptical can be less tough on your joints, but I have found both useful in weightless. Nice thing about a treadmill is being able to adjust the the incline but on an elliptical u can go in reverse to work other muscles
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    I use the Elliptical (although i refer to it as the cross trainer)

I do anything from 20-40 mins, and i use my HRM which tells me i burn anything from 142cals to 400cals.

I dont trust the calorie burn on it as it logs it at around 140 when iv done 40 mins (heart rate average at 164)

Take tonight for example i did 30 mins, 9.5k, 143.1calories (according to cross trainer). My heat rate was at 174 average, and according to my HRM i burned 342 calories.

Iv tried a treadmill, didnt like it.