"Healthy" fast food options?

Options
When you absolutely have no other choice than to eat fast food (if you're on the road for example), which fast food restaurant do you prefer and what do you order? At work earlier, I forgot to pack a lunch so I went to Wendy's and ate a small chili with a plain baked potato. It was yummy and not too high in calories. Just curious about everyone else's "healthy" fast food choices.

Replies

• healthytanya1
    healthytanya1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Subway! I get a 6" ham on wheat, no cheese no mayo, lots of veggies and mustard
  • healthytanya1
    healthytanya1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Also a grilled chicken sandwich w/o mayo from anywhere will be fairly low in calories and filling.
  • tleighs64
    tleighs64 Posts: 12
    Options
    If they have salads, I opt for those. Grilled chicken, never fried. Skip the croutons and the dressing. If not, then I head for grilled chicken sandwiches, skip the mayo or other sauces. Then I use the bun as a holder and just eat the sandwich contents. Toss the bun.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Subway chopped salad
    Wendy's Ultimate Chicken Grill (390 cal / 10gr fat)
    McDonald Premium Grilled Chicken Sandwich (350/9)

Also I've found that if you are at a regular sit down restaurant for lunch, you can usually find a healthy choice on the kids menu that is usually filling enough.
  • cmccoyjr
    cmccoyjr Posts: 3
    Options
    Chick-fil-a Grilled Chicken sandwich...no cheese/dressing....has lettuce, tomato, pickle...its pretty tasty too!
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Either get a Subway or a grilled chicken sandwich from Wendy's.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    My favorites are Chick-fil-A, Chipotle, and Noodles and Co. I get the salads from Chick-fil-A (the berry one is my favorite) with grilled chicken and either the berry balsamic vinaigrette or fat free honey mustard. Burrito bowls and salads aren't too bad from Chipotle. I had a salad from there yesterday with just lettuce, chicken, black beans, and some cheese that was pretty good and fit in my macros almost perfectly. Noodles and company is probably my all around favorite because of their seasonal berry spinach salad. I get the small one and add grilled chicken to it. It's soooo good that I've even started making my own version at home.
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Options
    If I'm near a pizza place, I usually opt for a pizza with many vegetable toppings and a thin crust, preferably whole grain. If I'm near a coffee place like Starbucks, I like to get a plain latte or a skinny latte. Or I'll get a chicken shawarma if there's a Middle Eastern place. Or you could try a convenience store because they usually have cut up fruits, coffee, and ready made sandwiches.

If you know you will be eating at a particular fast food place, check with their menu to compare the nutrition.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I go to 711 and get a piece of fruit and some nuts. Maybe Jerkey. I don't like eating food that doesn't taste awesome to me, so I'll just snack out a meal if I don't like my options.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I love Wendys salads...it's not iceberg lettuce! Mix that with a baked potatoe and you have a great meal!
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm on the road about 50% of the year for work, so eating out is a part of my life.

Some of my 'go to' meals:

Subway - Veggie or Turkey or Ham, no cheese or mayo or heavy sauces. Load up the vegetables and regular mustard.

Chick Fil A - Grilled chicken sandwich or grilled chicken nugget combo with fruit or a side salad. The new market salad.

Starbucks - Protein Box

Outback - Grilled chicken on the barbie or 6 oz. Outback Special with green beans or asparagus (ask for no butter added to the meat or veggies)

Longhorn- small sirloin with green beans

Panera - anything off the 'hidden' menu. Nothing has more than 360 calories. The egg white breakfast bowl with turkey is only 190 calories. You pick two - smoked turkey on whole grain with a side soup or salad. Use 1/2 the bread to dip in your soup instead of the baguette. Get an apple instead.
  • dietonthego
    dietonthego Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You know before I finished reading your post I thought to myself " a Wendy's small chili with a baked potatoe!" Isn't that funny!
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Pret A Manger is hands down my favorite "fast food" place; everything there is healthy and the nutrition info is right there, I usually get a Spiacn Egg Pot and some type of salad or a Tuna Quinoa Pot. Plus, at the end of the day any food left over goes to feed the homeless.
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Wendys apple pecan chicken salad . Yummy!
  • VALERIE122386
    VALERIE122386 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you want something sweet on the go McDonalds fruit and yogurt parfait...150 calories !!!
  • Beautyandthebeef
    Options
    I do chicken tacos from taco bell-you can do the fresco which means no cheese and some yummy pico de gallo instead!
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    McDonald's Premium grilled chicken sweet-spicy chili wrap 360 calories.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Or , you can always find a supermarket, and pick up some yogurt (or cottage cheese, I love Friendship's Fit to Go cup) and/or fresh cut fruit (cheaper at a supermarket than a 711 or Wawa); also, most supermarkets have salad bars now (I personally look for a Whole Foods, but any supermarket is good.)
  • daniellealys
    daniellealys Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    always a salad, no dressing
    here are my fav places
    1. chipotle salad. lettuce, chicken, fajitas vegies, salsa and guac! so yummy!
    2. burrito beach! (organic and grass fed beef!!!), lettuce, barbacoa, salsa and gauc!
    3. qdoba: lettuce, chicken, zuchinni blend, salsa and guac

do you notice a trend here? LOL

for non-mex:
    1. pretty much a salad from anywhere. I never get dressing. I am able to do this and still enjoy my salad with adding some avocado or fruit! always put protein on my salad, fish when available or chicken
    I ALWAYS ask them to exclude the piece of bread or scone or whatever they place with my salad!
    fav non-mex salad places is protein bar

when I eat out at a sit down restaurant:
    90% of the time I choose a fish entree with steamed vegies
    the other 10% is a salad like explained above
    oh, and I always get shrimp cocktail as an appetizer if available. high protein, low calories and carbs, no fat. and it makes me feel like I am getting a lot of food! YUMMY
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Chipolte : Black bean burrito

Burger King : Veggie Burger

Taco Bell : Cantina Bowl Veggie and Black Beans and Rice

Pita Pit : Black Bean Pita

Au Bon Pain : Southwestern Black Bean Burger

Just about any grocery store: Hummus and Blue Diamond crackers