Eating Schedule

Options
I try to eat 3 meals a day. I leave for work @ 7am, so I eat breakfast around 6:30. I have trouble making it to 12 to eat lunch, and then again, waiting until 6:30 or 7 for dinner. Do you eat more times throughout the day, or have snacks in between? How do you space out your meals?

Replies

• CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    I usually eat 5-6 times a day, here's a typical schedule for me (weekends don't go this smoothly, but I try)

Breakfast: 7:30
    AM Snack: 10:00
    Lunch: 12:00
    PM Snack: 3:00
    Dinner: 6:00

You should aim to eat a little something every 2-3 hours rather than the standard 3 meals a day. It keeps from getting hungry and over-eating, plus keeps your blood sugar more level. With you day starting so early you could get in 6-7 "meals" in a day.

Good luck!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Yep, I do 5-6 meals spaced about 2 1/2 - 3 hours apart. It keeps me from getting hungry and keeps my blood sugars pretty stable. Before starting MFP, I'd eat 2-3 times a day. Now, I can tell if I miss a meal. I'd definitely say to work a snack in between your meals.
  • dfwtxmissy
    dfwtxmissy Posts: 102
    Options
    I eat 2 snacks...one between breakfast and lunch and one between lunch and dinner...maybe a few carrot sticks before bed....
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I leave the house at 5am. Depending on what kind of a morning it was to that point, I either grab breakfast to go (that I eat once I get into the office) or have a quick bite before I leave. I have a snack at around 9am. Lunch is at 12:30. Afternoon snack is at around 3:30-4:00 (in the car, going home). Dinner is usually ready by 6:30. Evening snack/dessert is around 7:30 and then I'm done for the day. My snacks are just that - single ingredient items (fruit, yogurt, cheese). Meals are always eaten sitting down at a table or away from my computer.

I feel like I'm always eating though - no room for getting hungry. And if I forget one of my snacks for the day at work, I'm terrible to deal with. I'm so used to the timeline :)
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Yeap, have your snacks in between your big meals. If they are healthy and with not too many calories they will keep you satisfied until the next meal. And don't forget to drink water, and stay away from sugar and pastries.

Cherry tomatoes, string cheese, some almonds, half of a yoghourt cup, cottage cheese, a slice of turkey breast, are good choices.
  • Jendf
    Jendf Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I try to eat every 2.5 hours.

Breakfast 8:30
    Snack 11
    Lunch 1:30
    Snack 4:00
    Dinner 6:30

and if I can afford the calories a snack after dinner, usually fruit and yogurt.
  • acstein
    acstein Posts: 55
    Options
    I have 6-2 hour slots that I eat in. My dogs wake me up at 7am, so that begins my day. I break it up 7-9, 9-11, 11-1, 3-5, 5-7, 7-9. I skip 1-3 because that is generally the time I am at the gym. Some days it varies, but that's the bulk of my days. I try to keep each 2 hour block in a 200 calories limit. Sometimes I go over, sometimes I go under each time. I found that for me, the 6 times a day reduce my overeating on the 3 times a day. I maintained weight at 3 meals, and lost 12 lbs with 6. It does not work for everyone, and if you are unable to eat/snack at work, it may not be a good idea. The theory for me was to psych myelf into eating less each time, since I knew I would be eating again sooner. The science behind it is that it keeps your metabolism going and you burning more resting calories with an active metabolism.

Keep in mind your water intake as you can retain water (adding weight) and become bloated if you do not drink enough water. There is no set formula for that either. My theory, drink until you're not thirsty. That 8 glasses a day has been brought into question recently. I drink more water on days I exercise than on days I don't, simply to replenish after sweating.

Find what works for you and keeps you motivated to stick with it. Sometimes it is difficult to eat all 6 times. If I miss 1, maybe 2, I don't worry too much as 1 day won't mess me up too badly. However, if I miss 3 or more, I become irritable and overeat the next day or so. I have found that if I am on the go that day, I either schedule my errands around my eating or I take something with me. I'm lucky enough that as a housewife, I can be flexible and do things like that. I would recommend taking snacks with you and using the office fridge, or whatever you have available. There are some really good thermal lunch bags out there if you do not have access to a fridge or a microwave. Thirty-One sells a great product, my mother has a thermal tote and it kept grapes cold while at the beach during the middle of July in NC (SUPER HOT btw)!! They have a couple male versions too. When it comes to thermal, you get what you pay for.

I hope you find the best option for you!!
  • Noah137
    Noah137 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks for all the info. I have 1 more question. I usually get my exercise done in the evenings, is it best to do it before or after eating dinner?

@acstein like the the Wooden quote.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    In my Diabetes classes, we were told any exercise is great. Then, she added, it's better to do it after the highest carb meal (it fuels your body to work)...and, to do so about an hour to an hour and a half after that meal.
    Now, I'm no expert and going on what the Dietician and the nurse told us. It's worked for me.