Burn...Grannie...Burn!

Options

Replies

• wisebuys
    wisebuys Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You go grannie! I enjoy watching your progress since I too am grannie-age. Can't imagine not swimming for SO long, its the sport that keeps my hubby and I alive and moving. Enjoy the new you!!!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Excellent NSV! Congrats on your achievement.
  • rhondaec
    rhondaec Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You are such a inspiration!! I Love, Love your post! Your always so positive about things! And I sorta get a chuckle out of some of your post which I love also so Keep it up Grannie. I Love you and don't even know you personally and by the way keep up the great work.
  • ldstrange
    ldstrange Posts: 17
    Options
    You go girl! Great to see somebody else in the prime of life taking good care of themselves. Do get that sunscreen at least SPF 50 or you might as well not use it. Skin cancers are not fun...trust me I learned the hard way. :)
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I just love reading your updates...and this one certainly belongs in "Success Stories", especially after waiting 50 years! Go, go Grannie! :flowerforyou:
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    OP you go!! Awesome story. Just goes to show what may not be a big deal for some people is an awesome step forward for others... thanks for sharing.

^^ This. :) She has come a long way... I've been following her posts... I'm absolutely amazed and in awe of her boldness and ability to overcome. I'm just so so so happy for you.... Amazing what one small step...one foot in front of the other can accomplish over time. I've totally got your back and can't wait to see what other things you hurdle over. Congratulations!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Do get that sunscreen at least SPF 50 or you might as well not use it. Skin cancers are not fun...trust me I learned the hard way. :)

Several folks have said Amen to sunscreen, but you are the first to mention SPF. I was wondering about that this morning.

My hubbie Ed is an early riser, but he and our dog jumped back into bed about 9AM to wake up 'Mama'. He wanted to know how my 'burn' was doing. I am only a bit tender on my feet and neck. When I said, "Are going to the pool today?", Ed said..."Yes, but not until we get you some sunscreen." Of course, he volunteered to apply the sunscreen..."even to places that didn't get burned."

"Nasty, old man." :laugh:

He also reminded me that I owe him 15 laps of the pool today. He is one tough coach, but he rewards me with so much love that I would do double that, if he asks. Well, maybe not 30 laps today. :noway:

By the way, thanks to all of you (grannies or not) who have befriended this old girl on her journey to new knees and a better life.

Ed also mentioned 'that phone call to my surgeon' this morning. He wants me to call my knee surgeon, when I hit 210 pounds, even if that is 10 pounds short of the surgeon's goal to qualify for the operations. We both hope that I can get on the list for my knee replacement surgeries at that weight, since it could take up to 3 months, before I even get a date my first surgery. During that time, I will most definitely lose more than 10 pounds. Onederland is only my next goal...not my finally goal. :happy:
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    OUCH!
    I am Irish/English/with a splash of German so I burn in the moonlight! :laugh:
    Joy

Me too! I think if I stood under a blacklight, my legs might actually glow in the dark. :-)
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    Ed and I stopped off at Walgreens for some SPF 50 spray on sunscreen. He enjoyed spraying 'Mama' down, before we went in the pool.

I managed to do 15 laps of the pool in 45 minutes, with the last 5 laps being a bit slower than those first ones. Ed kicked along beside me using one of those styrofoam noodles to keep him afloat for my last lap. I was glad to touch that wall at the end.

That's when my hubbie and 'coach' said, "You will do 40 next time." I wiped that big grin off his face, when I grabbed him by the shoulder and pushed him under the water. He came up laughing and said, "50 LAPS!!!" When I reached for his shoulders again, he just laughed and said..."No. 15 is good."

We were in the community pool...alone...by happy chance; so, we got to just enjoy the pool and each other for a while. He makes me feel so loved and even sexy. I am so blessed to have a good man like my Special Ed.
  • poofycat
    poofycat Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Good for you!
  • jamiemommy
    jamiemommy Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I think you are wonderful! and really enjoy your posts! well done on another success!
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Good for you Grannie! I love reading your updates!
  • proudmommy1003
    proudmommy1003 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you think burning grannies should be under success stories.

This 68 year old grannie had not put on a swimsuit, since she was 18. That's 50 years of fearing to wear a swimsuit in public. I got my first swimdress and got in a pool this week. Believe me. That is a success story.

Very nice done!
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    You are just too awesome for words!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you think burning grannies should be under success stories.

This 68 year old grannie had not put on a swimsuit, since she was 18. That's 50 years of fearing to wear a swimsuit in public. I got my first swimdress and got in a pool this week. Believe me. That is a success story.

HELL YES, it is!! Go granny, go! :tongue:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I am proud of you, lovely.
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    This is MOST DEF a success story! Good for you and keep smiling :D:blushing:
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    No...Not that kind of burn, though I did a bunch of laps in the pool today. This burn is something I haven't had, since I was in my teens. I actually put some color on my lily white upper arms and even my legs. For me, this is another success. I had wanted some 'color' for a while, but I wasn't willing to put so much flesh out there to be baked, until this week. New swim wear and 3 days in the pool gave me more than just a good workout.

06-14-13FirstSunburnInYears01_zps82d9b291.jpg?t=1371272817

At first, I thought that the house felt 'a little warm' tonight; and my feet were a bit itchy. That's when I saw the pink on my feet. I went right for a mirror and discovered that I now have a rosy glow right down my arms, my legs, over my face and all the way to my clevage. Grannie is now really rosie. :laugh:

and yes...I will be buying some waterproof sunscreen tomorrow. I want some color, but I don't want to end beet red and sore.

Love it, love it, Great NSV and good luck in getting the OK for the surgery. :flowerforyou:

Signed: Another "hot" grannie from CA.
  • sohmui
    sohmui Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am also grannie-aged (71). In my case it was a swimsuit that drove me seriously to tackle the weight problem. Oh, the shock/horror of trying on the largest size and the beached-whale image that stared back at me in that brightly-lit tiny changing room! I hadn't been swimming for at least 25 years.

That was nine months ago. Now I swim five times a week, doing 40 lengths in one hour, and have lost 30+ pounds. I also love to get a bit of a tan. Yes, some sun protection is good, but you can get it by limiting your exposure to the sun rather than plastering your body with stuff. We need the vitamin D.

Good luck, burning grannie. You look just fine!
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    I am also grannie-aged (71). In my case it was a swimsuit that drove me seriously to tackle the weight problem. Oh, the shock/horror of trying on the largest size and the beached-whale image that stared back at me in that brightly-lit tiny changing room! I hadn't been swimming for at least 25 years.

I ordered my swimdresses online from Woman Within, because I didn't want to try them on in a dressing room and suddenly find that they didn't fit or made me look even worse than I feared. What a wonderful surprise, when I found out that I didn't look as bad as I had imagined.
    That was nine months ago. Now I swim five times a week, doing 40 lengths in one hour, and have lost 30+ pounds.

Wow! That's 20 laps of the pool. I have only been in the pool for this short week. My best effort was 15 laps today in 45 minutes, and I really felt those last 5 laps; but I kept going. Maybe...some day, I can go for 20; but not this week.
    I also love to get a bit of a tan. Yes, some sun protection is good, but you can get it by limiting your exposure to the sun rather than plastering your body with stuff. We need the vitamin D.

Good luck, burning grannie. You look just fine!

I realized last night that I HAD spent too much time in the pool. Today, Ed and I only stayed for 1 hour...not like yesterday, when we were there for 2 1/2 hours in the middle of a very hot day.

I take 2,000units of vitamin D every morning. My doctors ordered that amount, when I came back to California with a D lab level of 6, which was horrible. I was supposed to be closer to 90. My doctor even asked, "Have you been living in a cave?"

Actually, that was about right. I had just spent 7 months living indoors, because of a prolonged winter and LOTS OF SNOW. I cannot tolerate temperatures below 50. It is so painful for me. So, I had stayed indoors for months on end. That is probably why I love the sunny days in the pool so much.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!