The bathroom scale doesn't help me... yet.

Options
I'm 43, spend too much time doing for others, or not-doing for me, and it's been "time for a change" for over 10 years. It's been easier to do for others, helping people with technology, or just "de-stressing" on a video game system, than sticking to a diet or finding/making the time to be active. I admit that my problems are rooted in eating, when stressed, I eat, when bored, I eat. Food is too much a comfort.

I have two daughters, 15 and 12, the older of which lives with me full-time. I have plenty of normal parenting stress, but I have the wrong outlet, an XBOX360. I need to get back to a decent weight so I can live a long life with a few health problems related to being a "fat *kitten*" and be there for my daughters, friends, and family.

My sister told me about My Fitness Pal and I'm going to do my level best to stick to it. I remember being an active 220 pound guy who rode his mountain bike all over the place and was healthy. I loved being able to do that and I am missing this with my daughters, so I really need to do this for me, and them.

I'm tired of being tired, a couch-potato, and embarrassed to swim at the local pool or ride a bike, both look funny, but I think the pool would get annoyed at having to re-fill after my visit.

I have friends who will help, but I simply need to get eating into a healthy zone, first step, reduce daily calories through tracking...

I am looking forward to when the bathroom scale works again (for me) and I can track my weight loss. I'm guessing I'm 330 pounds (give or take) so if I stick to this the scale should start to work and I'll be able to track my progress.

Thanks for listening/reading,
Cameron

Replies

• Katy213
    Katy213 Posts: 45
    Options
    Good luck! This site will certainly help to keep you focussed and hopefully get right on track. Sure your daughters will be proud of you :smile:
  • BeccyBerry
    BeccyBerry Posts: 312
    Options
    Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • bakerswife
    Options
    Good luck!!
  • lushy20
    lushy20 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    good luck on your weight loss journey. just remember that if you slip up its not the end of the world you can always start again tomorrow.
    its a long hard journey but will be worth it in the end.
  • sydthekyd
    Options
    Just started myself and expect it will be a while before my "couch potato" metabolism gets reset. Good luck and stick with it! Kids are worth it (mine are 18 and 23).
  • dgroulx
    dgroulx Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You can still ride a bike. It won't look stupid. Don't get so down on yourself. I have 3 bikes and I don't care what people think of me. Actually, people will probably think that it is awesome that you are out getting some exercise.
  • Polar67x
    Options
    Thank you, and congrats on your hard work.
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I would say don't think about the people so much. Swimmimg is a great exercise, and these people will marvel at you when you lose weight.

Good luck on your journey :)