Cant get to the gym very often.. anything i can do at home?

Options
I'm doing my very best to drop this weight but the biggest issue is i feel a need t be working out.. but i cant get to the gym very often.. any tips or advice for some at home workouts to help me bust down some of this weight?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    BeFit channel on YouTube has good workout videos. Also nerdfitness.com is a good site. HTH
  • Scrogglez
    Scrogglez Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Buy a 100pound adjustable dumbbell (50-100$ depending on where you shop), perhaps find a treadmill from a yard sale (if your short on cash) or even a few 20pound barbells. Start small and work out!

Also check out :

http://liamrosen.com/fitness.html

If you start lifting your not going to get HUGE and become an muscle women, its all about the weight you lift. Keep it small and get toned or go huge and get big.
  • Butinox
    Butinox Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have a "mini-gym" at home, with bicycle, weights, punching bag etc. Occasionally I work out watching for instance Jillian Michaels on You Tube. And I love walking in the mountains, and walking and bicycling along the road.

So it is a lot you can do at home, just find out what you like. :)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    check out nerdfitness.com or buy a sand bag
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I mapped out a 3-mile course down my street and back. I try to walk it every day - although I rarely get to do it every day. I also do modified pushups where I grab a short dresser and do them. You can also do any of the body-resistance exercises like sit-ups, planks, etc.
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    YouTube is the best for this! I love ZuzkaLight's ZWOWs. Looking forward to seeing more ideas :)
  • thinbeautifulnonsmoker
    Options
    Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds -- Great Stuff!! It works if you work it :)
  • jeanninecurran
    jeanninecurran Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    leslie sansone is my advice, too. You only need limited space and it's fun and gets the job done
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    When I had a hard time getting to the gym, I quit the gym and bought weights for home. I do all my running outside. Now the only thing that keeps me from exercise is when I'm too sick to stand up. :laugh:
  • JankaLee
    JankaLee Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    On beautiful days when I don't want to be inside at a gym, I go to the park :) I jump rope, I do pushups, jump up on park benches, tricep dips on park benches. Walking squats around the tennis court. Burpees, I attempt pull ups. I bring resistance bands and do bicep curls, wrap the band around a tree and push out like a chest press. So many things you can do at a local park, and if you hit it up at like 5:30 in the morning it is just you and other people working out as well so no judgement from kids :)
  • thisdamselflies
    thisdamselflies Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have a small home gym as well, with weights ranging from 3lbs to 20lbs, bands, yoga mats and blocks, and some BeachBody videos. You can definitely lift, and lift heavy, without bulking up. Those tiny 3-pound weights are for cardio workouts. For strength training, you should lift as heavy as you can for 8-12 reps. Light weights won't really do much. I also like the HIIT workouts on the DailyHiit website. They're short, challenging, and get your heart rate up.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    If you start lifting your not going to get HUGE and become an muscle women, its all about the weight you lift. Keep it small and get toned or go huge and get big.

Sorry but no.
    You can lift heavy and you won't get "huge". To become bulky a woman needs to train and work very very hard to get that affect. Lifting heavy won't suddenly create huge muscles. Screw 20lbs dumbbells.
  • kristinchaus
    kristinchaus Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love www.blogilates.com and www.fitnessblender.com. Free and tons of videos :smile:
  • kristinchaus
    kristinchaus Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Befit is a great one too!
  • evolutionbyariana
    evolutionbyariana Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Buy a 100pound adjustable dumbbell (50-100$ depending on where you shop), perhaps find a treadmill from a yard sale (if your short on cash) or even a few 20pound barbells. Start small and work out!

Also check out :

http://liamrosen.com/fitness.html

I have to disagree about keeping the weight small to get toned. Those big muscular women eat at an incredibly large caloric surplus to get muscles like that, in addition to INTENSE training and probably drugs in some of the more extreme cases! I lift heavy weights and I am far from huge!!
  • evolutionbyariana
    evolutionbyariana Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I forgot the main point of my post! At-home workouts! Blogilates, BodyRockTV, and Tone it Up are all great options!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    fitness blender.com
  • mmoonstars
    mmoonstars Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michael's DVD's are good for at home and don't require a ton of cost equipment wise to do!
  • Daisey4522
    Daisey4522 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I never go to the gym because I really do not have the time. This is what I do instead:

FitnessBlender.com
    Wii - Zumba
    Wii - Biggest Loser
    Wii - Just Dance 2
    Walk my dogs
    A daily workout that I do in my office during lunch (which includes things like jumping jacks, lunges, squats, Russian twists, push ups, etc)

I highly recommend investing in a wii if you do not own one. The old wii system is dirt cheap right now since they came out with a new system :) I burn A LOT of calories doing Wii Zumba -- and it's fun!
  • tenkesh
    tenkesh Posts: 81
    Options
    P90X, Insanity will kick your *kitten* in your own house very effectively. I didn't go to gym for 3 years in a row, cause I was just doing P90X, P90X+ and P90X2 at home. Tried Insanity but it didn't really suit me, cause there's just way too much jumping and my knees started to hurt.