Water retention?

Options
Hey all,

According to MFP, I've lost 5 kilos since starting to track my calories intake. I understand that the initial stages of weight loss is from water retention draining away.

Is there a fact or figure as to how much water you could expect to lose before fat starts to burn?

I'm starting to think it's all just water and It's slightly de-motivating.

Thanks

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Your liver glycogen reserve might be around 400 grams or just under a pound, that is associated with 2-5 times its weight of water so 2kg / 5 pounds is about your maximum scope for water depletion.
  • KatieHPhoto
    KatieHPhoto Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. :)
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Stay motivated :)

For me weight loss is not a linear and easily calculated thing. Simple put, my weight seems to drop in 'steps' I can lose 5 pounds one week and then nothing the next or just 1/2 to 2 or 3 in the next then nothing, then 3-4 more and then just a little and even sometimes go up a little before going down again. The key, I think, is to stay motivated and stick it out for the long haul because sooner or later if the calories are below daily requirements then the weight WILL come off :)
  • Lindabummy1
    Lindabummy1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I agree the erikkmcvay's comments as the same thiings have happened to me. And patience for me is the key. Good luck to you
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I agree the erikkmcvay's comments as the same thiings have happened to me. And patience for me is the key. Good luck to you

Good to know I'm not alone :D Specially since your weight loss is inline with what I'm hoping to achieve (I was 282 at my heaviest and am down to 234 but it's been a stair step -- or maybe two step! - challenge all the way!)
  • KatieHPhoto
    KatieHPhoto Posts: 37 Member
    Options

Good to know I'm not alone :D Specially since your weight loss is inline with what I'm hoping to achieve (I was 282 at my heaviest and am down to 234 but it's been a stair step -- or maybe two step! - challenge all the way!)

Thank you both. :) I'm still feeling pretty confident and hoping to keep at it until I'm to my ideal weight. I've always liked things to happen when I want them to happen but this time I'm doing my best to ride it through for as long as it takes. I'm happy to know that some of this loss is fat :)