Need help with new Drs. orders on diet.

Options
He wants me to have 90 grams of protien with 30 gram intervals. 30 3x a day. 1000 calories per day. I have trouble digesting the protien shakes in high quantity. I have no large intestine. Really stuggling to figure out how to do this without at least 2 shakes a day.

Replies

• christylindquist
    christylindquist Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Have you tried non fat greek yogurt? It has a lot of protein and low in calories. Cottage cheese has protein too but can be low in calories. If you like fish, Tilapia is only 98 calories for 4 grams of fish and high in protein. (I can't do a lot of protein shakes either). Not sure how restrictive your options are with no lg intestine but those are my go-to protein rich foods.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Get your Dr. to set up an appointment with a dietitian.
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options

^This.

Most general practitioners have 8 hours' instruction in nutrition.

That being said, experiment with different brands of protein powder. There are some I can't digest, and others that I love! Most of them come in single-serving sizes so you can get a feel for their taste, texture, and digestibility before you make the investment in a big container of it.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    lentils and black beans are high in protein, fiber and potassium
  • skymel14
    skymel14 Posts: 30
    Options
    Most grass-fed steaks average 240 calories/25g protein for 4oz. Add spinach, broccoli, mushrooms, etc on the side and you get 30g protein and under 300 calories.

Chicken averages 110 calories/4oz but the protein isn't as high.

Tuna is high in protein and low in calories/fat.

Eggs are high in protein but be careful about fat.

Quinoa is a good non-meat protein.

Does this help??
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

Really. My husband had a big chunk of his large intestine removed and my dad had major problems as well. A dietician and actually a speech therapist (surprise) can help you a lot. The dietician can give you recipes and strategies and the speech therapist may be able to help you swallow them and make them more palatable. That's a big chunk of what they do (I had no idea until I met with my dad's).

I agree about the steak or other just plain meat (e.g., pork, chicken, fish). Surprisingly low calories if you get low fat meat, very easy to digest, and lots of protein.
  • momm2000
    momm2000 Posts: 6
    Options
    Been eating alot of cottage cheese but to get that even with greek gets you up to about 450 calories and that's only 1 30 grams
  • momm2000
    Options
    Mine is completely gone also part of small & rectum had a resection but honestly mine never worked. Steriods put it on and I'm still taking them. Will for my Astma the rest of my life. Fighting a losing battle and getting disgusted. Between what I can't digest & what I can't have dieting and actually getting weak but losing no weight. He has me on 90 grams protien 75 grams carbs and 1000 calories.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Any lean meat is low cal high protein. (chicken, turkey, some cuts of beef)
  • salydra
    salydra Posts: 29
    Options
    Try tuna or liquid egg whites. They have about the same protein ratio as the highest protein shakes.
  • alanbarta
    alanbarta Posts: 22 Member
    Options

This is fantastic advice. My doctor referred me to a dietitian and she has been immensely helpful and resourceful.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Speak to a team of professionals.....not the internet.
  • momm2000
    Options
    I have that's why I'm here. I have been to several dietians and several doctors with little to no help.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    For what reason did the Dr want you on this diet?
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I am not on a diet like yours for medical reasons but for weight loss and have had some days when I eat 1000 cals plus around 80-90g protein and carbs below 60g. On those days I usually only have 1 protein shake and the rest of my protein comes from peanut butter, yogurts, eggs, fish, meat and low fat cheese plus milk.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    My dad ate eggs and cottage cheese with protein powder alternating with Greek yoghurt, which you can also add protein powder to.

If you drain some of the cottage cheese/yoghurts in a strainer you will have fewer liquids, which may be helpful to you as I bet you can't absorb them.

Good luck. It sounds so, so draining.