Honest Opinions Only

Options
This is not scavenging for any compliments, trust me, I just want an honest opinion. I am a mother to two children. I dress stylishly but typically pretty conservatively. But I'm only 33, and I feel good at my size. I'm a medium- size 8/10 for most clothes.

I love bright colors! I bought these shorts recently because they were bright and fun. My nearly 9 year old daughter though, told me I they were short shorts. I usually wear shorts to my knee because my skin is ghost white. It made me wonder if I'm inappropriate?? I never want to be one of those ladies that dresses too young for her age and just looks ridiculous!!

787f3c2a-69cf-4447-b19e-5ee7c24eae62_zps9be10a12.jpg

Replies

• Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem, they look great
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    They are not inappropriate and definitely NOT short shorts. They look cute.
  • col443
    col443 Posts: 17
    Options
    I don't think they are inappropriate. I am 33 as well and would wear them. They look great.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    the shorts are an appropriate length.
  • rhia575
    rhia575 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    They look great, you should definitely wear them and feel good about it. They look great on you and there's nothing inappropriate about them (:
  • Jessica_D_Shadow
    Jessica_D_Shadow Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm 24, mother of two. I think they look great! And those aren't short shorts. Trust me. When you're cheeks are seen with a slight bend over they are "short shorts". When your cheeks are seen all the time without a bend over they are "booty shorts". =) Those are very nice average shorts. I like them!
  • egrusy
    egrusy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Absolutely appropriate! We're not talking Daisy Dukes here. I'm 49 and would not think twice about wearing those shorts; they look great on you!
  • LisaMarie8713
    Options
    Thanks everyone...:flowerforyou:

I don't usually have to question the clothes I buy, but she made me think twice about it!! Thought it wouldn't be bad to get some other opinions.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    They look great and are a normal length. Your 9 year old is probably just not used to seeing you in non-knee length shorts.:wink:
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    They look perfectly fine to me.
  • tryin08
    tryin08 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    They are perfectly fine. You look very nice. I've seen some short shorts before on all ages and you look very nice, many people don't. I wouldn't even call those short shorts. I love your haircut by the way.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I don't see a butt cheek hanging out, so you're fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LMick1986
    LMick1986 Posts: 431
    Options
    Maybe they're short to her because of school dress codes.....you know the one where shorts and skirts need to be longer than your fingers with your arms held at your sides?
    I don't think they look at all inappropriate though.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    They look great on you, no worries. :)
  • londonboyben
    londonboyben Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    yep, agree with everyone else, they do look fine :)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    They are not inappropriate in the least. You've probably been dressing very conservatively and she just isn't accustomed to you in a regular pair of shorts. Relax!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If you usually wear them to your knee, to her they probably seem very short in comparison. But to me, I think they're cute and perfectly fine.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    not inappropriate unless you have serious bootie going on in the back
  • mrsappleblossom77
    mrsappleblossom77 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i'm 36 and I think they are fine. Short-shorts to me are the kind they sell in the juniors department that barely cover the butt and the front pocket lining sticks out. You look great!
  • sugaree1202
    sugaree1202 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    They look great! I would wear them once I lose some more weight. (I'm 30 and have 2 kids)

I had to explain short shorts to my six year old when she dug a skirt out of her drawer that was a 3t and way too short but still fit her waist since she's a toothpick. Short shorts are when your butt hangs out or is visible when you bend over. It doesn't look like that's the case with your shorts.

Moms - well, any women really - look inappropriately dressed when their clothes are too small for their body or wear clothes that are too revealing for the social situation. Like when their boobs hang out at a tball game or not wearing pants & underwear to a kids soccer game (or anywhere!) a la Britney Spears ;). I wouldn't wear wear something out with my kids if I wouldn't want my daughter to wear the same thing at age 15. Your daughter may consider your shorts "short shorts" since most schools have a dress code requiring girls to wear shorts that are no shorter than 3" below their fingertips - I know this is the case at my kids elementary school. The fact that a school wide memo was deemed necessary and sent home regarding appropriate dress for K-4th grade baffles me but that's another discussion.

Enjoy wearing cute summer clothes, it looks like you've worked really hard to look good in them!