Going out to eat sucks

Options
Cooking has always been a joy for me so I don't mind doing it and I used to enjoy taking a break and going out to eat as well. Since I have started being mindful of what I am eating and trying to eat only real food, I've started to not like going out. I really like knowing what's in my food and what I'm putting into my body and when we go out (especially the places my family usually wants to go to) I don't know and that upsets me. Now I've gotten to the point where when anyone even suggests going to eat somewhere I really dread it and usually end up just not eating anything. That of course upsets my husband and makes everyone else (including me) uncomfortable. I really have to find a way past this while still being able to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Any suggestions????

Replies

• 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I really have to find a way past this while still being able to maintain a healthy lifestyle

you're right. and the key to that is realizing that one meal didn't make you overweight, and one meal isn't going to make you thin. It's a whole lifestyle of overeating that makes you gain, and a whole lifestyle of mindful eating that helps you lose.

Just enjoy the occasional meal out without concerning yourself about the calories. If all your other food choices are logged and accounted for accurately, you should be just fine.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I really have to find a way past this while still being able to maintain a healthy lifestyle

you're right. and the key to that is realizing that one meal didn't make you overweight, and one meal isn't going to make you thin. It's a whole lifestyle of overeating that makes you gain, and a whole lifestyle of mindful eating that helps you lose.

Just enjoy the occasional meal out without concerning yourself about the calories. If all your other food choices are logged and accounted for accurately, you should be just fine.

This. ^ And you can even log those restaurant meals as accurately as you can estimate them and then forget about them. (If that keeps them from gnawing at you afterwards as some kind of unfinished task. )
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    I hear you loud and clear. It's the palatability that makes me stay away with the exception of a few times a year. Suggest the small independents that usually cook from scratch and show passion is their trade, might be an alternative.
  • jrathemacher
    Options
    Love the previous response! I, too, have come to dread going out to eat. Since most social occasions involve food, I have also come to decline invitations because I do not want to be in tempting situations. I love the idea of one meal not making you fat and one meal not making you suddenly at your goal weight. My new strategy is too track all my food and exercise and try to not make obsessing about food rule my life!!
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    As has already been said, I take it one meal at a time. But some advance prep is possible.
    1. If it's a fast food joint, I pack my own food in a small cooler to eat and order coffee at the place.
    2. If it's a more formal franchise restaurant, I check its website in advance. Most restaurant websites include nutrition facts. That way, I can make an informed decision when ordering, even though the food is not generally what I would eat. Some independent restaurants have websites and nutrition facts as well.
    3. If no advance prep is possible, I treat the meal as a special treat and do my best. I log it here as accurately as I can and make sure to go easy the next day on sodium and fat.
  • mrloserpunk
    mrloserpunk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    As has already been said, I take it one meal at a time. But some advance prep is possible.
    1. If it's a fast food joint, I pack my own food in a small cooler to eat and order coffee at the place.
    2. If it's a more formal franchise restaurant, I check its website in advance. Most restaurant websites include nutrition facts. That way, I can make an informed decision when ordering, even though the food is not generally what I would eat. Some independent restaurants have websites and nutrition facts as well.
    3. If no advance prep is possible, I treat the meal as a special treat and do my best. I log it here as accurately as I can and make sure to go easy the next day on sodium and fat.

+1. To everything but #1. That's a bit awkward IMHO. I just find reasons to not do fast food. It's not good for anyone, anyways. There is always a better place...

Most importantly, check for websites and nutritional information. Heck, I've ended up ordering and loving stuff I thought I'd never like based on calorie count. Tilapia is delicious any which way! :-)
  • Beckaroo94
    Beckaroo94 Posts: 66
    Options
    Just order of the light bites or something that looks healthy. Or try to find a nice restaurant that has calories on the menu. Weatherspoons in the UK does this, but the food isn't that great apart from the burgers. Just over estimate the calories in the base ingredients. Although you won't know things like sugar, salt and fat added. If you were really bothered you could email the place nicely and ask what was in the food after and say you have a condition that means you have to be extra careful.

I too get stressed with this. I've been having a good healthy week and someone suggests a pub tea or take away. I usually order something generic that will be easy to log. It's awkward, but don't let the odd meals get you down. Though I feel your family should be more understanding if they know you are aiming to lose weight
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I travel 50%+ of the year for my job. So about 1/2 of the meals I eat in a year are eaten in restaurants, or on the road at least. My trips don't usually involve more than a few days at the same place, and I usually fly, so cooking isn't really an option, and my packing options from home are limited.

You just have to find ways to make it work. A few things I do:

1. Know the plan in advance. I usually am by myself, so I don't have to worry about where anybody else wants to go. But I try and start my day and play my meals out for the entire day - and even log them on MFP first thing in the morning.

2. If I'm on the road for all 3 meals I will usually eat breakfast at my hotel - usually a hardboiled egg, fruit, and 1 piece of toast with PB. Or an egg white omelet (ask for very little oil to be used) filled with veggies, no cheese. Or toast with peanut butter and a banana. If I don't have breakfast at my hotel I'll often do a Starbucks Oatmeal w/ 1/2 of a package of nuts they give you (50 calories) and cut up a banana. Then I'll try to have a lighter lunch - salad with protein, or 1/2 sandwich & salad or something. This frees me up to have a bit of a bigger dinner - steak or chicken or fish with veggies. And sometimes a glass of wine.

3. Simplify your meals when you go out so it's less overwhelming. Grilled chicken or sirloin or grilled shrimp or grilled fish. Ask for sauces on the side, ask for them not to add butter to your fish/meat, which they often finish it off with to add flavor. Avoid things that add calories - sauteed, fried, scampi, etc. Ordering a sandwich on a bun? Ask for no butter on the bun - pretty much everybody adds it.

4. Ask questions! If you aren't sure how something is prepared, ask your server. Do not be afraid to speak up! I customize most meals, and I've found waiters are VERY happy to accommodate or answer questions.

5. For salads, ask for the dressing on the side so you control how much goes on your salad. I personally use a fork and dip the tines into the salad dressing. I've found that doing this I use less than 1 tablespoon on even a full size salad. Doing this means I can still have my beloved full fat ranch without it sticking to my hips.

6. Ask for a box when they bring you your food. You're much less inclined to sit and pick at your food if it isn't in front of you. So box up 1/2 the meal before you even start eating.

7. Enjoy your company! Having conversations during the meals causes you to eat slower, giving your brain more time to register that you're no longer hungry, so you can stop eating before your plate is clean.

8. Does the restaurant have a 'skinny' menu (like Cheesecake Factory) or have healthier items noted on their menu (like Outback?) If so, zero in on those items, and don't 'look around' the menu too much. Reading about a 14 ounce New York Strip Steak can make it sound REALLY good. But if I didn't read about it, I'd be fine not having it. So I just don't explore the menu too much.

9. Share with others! Often when I'm by myself I'll order an appetizer and a side salad. But if I'm with some of my friends we'll each get something that sounds good and split it, or each order a side salad and split an entree.

Note: There is a time and a place to not worry so much about finding every way to shave off a few calories and just enjoy the company and the meal and get back on track the next day. :) These are things that I do because eating out is part of my lifestyle - it's not a 'special occasion', once in a blue moon type of thing. Treating every trip to a hotel as a 'vacation' mentality is partially what got me to 60+ pounds overweight, so I've had to adjust my mindset. You just can't do that when you spend 150+ days a year in hotels. I'm certainly not great at it - it took me a year to lose 35 pounds, and as you can see I've gained a few back. But I'm fighting the good fight and working hard to finish off this journey the healthy way!
  • jrodriguezjr17
    jrodriguezjr17 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

+1. To everything but #1. That's a bit awkward IMHO. I just find reasons to not do fast food. It's not good for anyone, anyways. There is always a better place...

Most importantly, check for websites and nutritional information. Heck, I've ended up ordering and loving stuff I thought I'd never like based on calorie count. Tilapia is delicious any which way! :-)

^agreed. Another few tips you can keep in mind is:
    A. theres no rule that says you HAVE to eat ALL the food. Save some for later!
    B. STAY AWAY FROM ANYTHING THATS CARBS. Bread, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, french fries. obviously if its a burger joint, your gunna struggle, but eat a burger, just no fries. Anywhere else, avoid the carbs, most resturants have ungodly amounts of fat in their food. Coupled with the carbs, its a disaster. Fat and protein by itself will not make you fat. Fat and carbs will make you fat.
    C: Get any and all sauces/dressings on the side, then you can control how much of it you eat.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I travel 50%+ of the year for my job. So about 1/2 of the meals I eat in a year are eaten in restaurants, or on the road at least.

Your situation is particularly difficult. When I've had to travel for work I've always been a little on edge. It's worse when I didn't like my job because I was bored and unhappy and felt I was thrust in a situation in which it would be easy to gain weight if I didn't watch it. The ability to order room service lost its attraction quickly. (I also ate out alone, but that's a different kind of problem, even if you don't mind your own company.)

Probably the worst situation was when I had to do some work on a team for a company that owned several fast food restaurant chains. We were working in a windowless room 12 hours a day. I thought that for lunch and dinner we could at least get out and have some nice, healthy food. But the company gave us passes to its awful restaurants and the head of the team was such a suck-up that we had to eat the phony, uninspiring food every break.
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options

totally agree :-)
  • cavanerwifey
    cavanerwifey Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I loved your reply, and although it wasn't for me...I'm takin' notes! Thank you for sharing the part about SPEAKING UP! :D I read just about every single new label I come across in the grocery store, so why should I find out a little more about my meal and how it's prepared. Great point! I try to be mindful of the nutritional information before going out, but it's not always available. I had no idea restaurants would add butter to sandwich buns either! Those sneaky sneaky line cooks! :) My DH is a chef first and foremost but is a restaurant manager by day, so I'm definitely going to be asking him some insider questions tonight..

Also for the OP, my advice is simple and probably well known by now...Don't assume a salad is a better option than anything else on the menu. I once thought I could order any salad on the menu and still trick myself into the "Yeeeeah, what's up? I ordered a salad. Look at me, being all healthy and stuff" mentality. LOL

Ohhh, and this is big for me so maybe you too....Normally, if I would go to a place like Red Robin or something that had bottomless drinks, Strawberry Lemonade for instance, I would literally drink like 4-5 of them! They're 125 calories each so I just drank away 1/3 of my daily calories. It's always ice water with extra lemon slices for me now, and sometimes I'll add a packet of sugar. I'd rather save the 600 calories and put them toward my meal. :smile:
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I order the appetizer ,, seems like it is a small plate of a real meal. Especially Houlihans, good food but they give you a lot of food for the money. so you can order from the appetizers in a restaurant.

First go to a restaurant that most likely will have something for you. then pick a salad with some meat on it, rather than make meat the main part of the meal.

Order a soup if its not cream based, that will fill you up. In fact, soup and salad might be just great.

Order fish made without butter or added salt. Just tweak the menu - ask the server if you could have some plain meat or whatever without sauces.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I still love going out, I just stick to restaurants that have a 'healthy' menu.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I go out at least once a week. Most restaurants like Chili's here in the states now have nutritional information, and with a smart phone you can look it up online. I just make smarter choices ... maybe skip the bread and potatoes, don't choose something with a sauce that's likely full of sugar and/or HFCS. For other sauces, I'll ask for them on the side. Instead of fries and other sides I'll scan the menu for veggies and ask for them as a replacement for the fries/mashed potatoes/rice/etc. Or I'll eat half of them and leave the rest. I hardly ever go to fast food places like McDonalds, it's just too difficult to find a good choice ... though I'm fond of Wendy's chili with a side salad from time to time.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Almost every place has at least a soup or salad, so it does seem ridiculous to not eat when you go out. If they don't have anything healthy at all on the menu, just get a box and save half of it for another meal. If you're worried about going over on calories, boost your workouts for a couple days and you'll be fine.

Your family will be more supportive if you're not weird about it.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Mfp has like almost every major food chains menu. If not, you can always replicate it by looking at what's in the meal and using similar options.
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Cooking has always been a joy for me so I don't mind doing it and I used to enjoy taking a break and going out to eat as well. Since I have started being mindful of what I am eating and trying to eat only real food, I've started to not like going out. I really like knowing what's in my food and what I'm putting into my body and when we go out (especially the places my family usually wants to go to) I don't know and that upsets me. Now I've gotten to the point where when anyone even suggests going to eat somewhere I really dread it and usually end up just not eating anything. That of course upsets my husband and makes everyone else (including me) uncomfortable. I really have to find a way past this while still being able to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Any suggestions????

S
    What helps me, becuase I go out to eat twice a week.. I try to order from those 560 calorie menus that some places have... if not that, I just try to order the healthiest thing on the menu and only eat half of it, savin the rest for later. Even if its not the healthiest thing, I enjoy it anyway because you know what? We only live once. Btw, I've been doin this for years, and still managed to lose weight and inches. I think what does it is every day that I'm not going out to eat I try my best to eat healthy, and drink 9 cups of water a day to flush any crap out. Works for me.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Almost every place has at least a soup or salad, so it does seem ridiculous to not eat when you go out. If they don't have anything healthy at all on the menu, just get a box and save half of it for another meal. If you're worried about going over on calories, boost your workouts for a couple days and you'll be fine.

Your family will be more supportive if you're not weird about it.

This. Or, if the place they want to go has nothing you're able to bring yourself to eat, suggest they go while you enjoy some me time. That way you're not uncomfortable with the choices and they aren't uncomfortable eating in front of you.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I have learned how to order in healthy ways. Grilled chicken, shrimp, steak without sauces. Grilled vegs or a salad with lite dressing, veg or tomato based soups. I have been able to find a healthy alternative in every place I've been to, including the local diners. Even if you get a large salad and nurse it through the whole meal, you will be eating and enjoying the company of your family. Try to relax and enjoy your life, one meal will not break you.