Strong Lifts 5 x 5 program for the beginner :)

Options
Ok so if your anything like me, you may be confused about the strong lifts 5 x 5 program, because A. what the heck is a deadlift? press? row? and B. theres a whole lot of info on that website to filter through and C. confused what 5 x 5 stands for anyways, Or maybe I'm just a visual person so it helps to see it like this :) So I went searching for more info on it and happened to come across these on pinterest, and now because of it I will actually know what it is I'm attempting :) Hope it helps someone else too :)

c343266bd7a73284cd984059433483fc.jpg[/URL]

35255eaa0f2b2a0ab0d71bea2a02c93e.jpg[/URL]

stronglifts.jpg

Replies

• jdyg81
    jdyg81 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Good find thanks
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Good visual.

The important thing is to pick a program with (1) compound lifts, (2) that teaches proper form, and (3) that incorporates progressive overload.

Strong Lifts
    Starting Strength
    5/3/1
    New Rules of Lifting
  • hharvey9
    hharvey9 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This is great! I was confused too.
  • Reneeisfat
    Reneeisfat Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Great find. Thanks
  • claston77
    claston77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the visual but can someone with some experience explain the 3X failure a bit more? Do they mean 3X in a single workout? Or over the course of three workouts? I'm not sure if I phrased that right but I hope someone understands sorry if I sound like a lifting n00b but I am :laugh:
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the visual but can someone with some experience explain the 3X failure a bit more? Do they mean 3X in a single workout? Or over the course of three workouts? I'm not sure if I phrased that right but I hope someone understands sorry if I sound like a lifting n00b but I am :laugh:

Thats still something I'm confused with too :p hopefully some nice lifters out there will give us some more insight :bigsmile: The way the graph looks like though is that its a course of 3 workouts... because it seems each "dot" represents a day you did that exercise :)
  • tripletmom2004
    tripletmom2004 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Save
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I am sure you are helping a TON of people!
  • operation_cute
    Options
    your welcome everyone, I hope other people find it useful too :)
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

Thats still something I'm confused with too :p hopefully some nice lifters out there will give us some more insight :bigsmile: The way the graph looks like though is that its a course of 3 workouts... because it seems each "dot" represents a day you did that exercise :)

This is correct. I can tell that my overhead press is nearing my limit, I could barely get 5x5 at 25kg on Friday.

So, let's say that on Wednesday I get: 3x5 1x4 and 1x2. failure #1. I do NOT increase my weight for next Monday.
    Then, next Monday I get: 4x5 and 1x2. Failure #2. I do NOT increase my weight for Friday.
    Friday, I get: 4x5 and 1x3. Failure #3. I DELOAD to 22.5kg on the following Wednesday, and progress from there.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    save for the day I am strong enough to complete
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to pop in and say thanks. I sent this off to my husband, as he wants to start lifting soon, and I've been tossing around various programs at him. This one seems to have caught his interest.
  • operation_cute
    Options

This is correct. I can tell that my overhead press is nearing my limit, I could barely get 5x5 at 25kg on Friday.

So, let's say that on Wednesday I get: 3x5 1x4 and 1x2. failure #1. I do NOT increase my weight for next Monday.
    Then, next Monday I get: 4x5 and 1x2. Failure #2. I do NOT increase my weight for Friday.
    Friday, I get: 4x5 and 1x3. Failure #3. I DELOAD to 22.5kg on the following Wednesday, and progress from there.

Thank you :)
  • operation_cute
    Options
    Just wanted to pop in and say thanks. I sent this off to my husband, as he wants to start lifting soon, and I've been tossing around various programs at him. This one seems to have caught his interest.

Your welcome :) I'm glad its helping people :)
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Bump ... thanks :-)
  • carey1986
    carey1986 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
  • operation_cute
    Options
    Your welcome :)
  • JerZRob
    JerZRob Posts: 68
    Options
    Thanks!
    Just started StrongLifts last week and I'm liking it so far. Just feels like I'm not doing enough right now. Weights are so light I have to constantly stop myself from putting more on.
    Do you do cardio with this as well?
  • JerZRob
    JerZRob Posts: 68
    Options
    Double post