What are some simple, vegetarian, and gluten free meals???

Options
I am freaking out. I just found out I may have Celiac disease. I am trying not to eat gluten for a while to see if it gets rid of my symptoms. That is really hard being a vegetarian with little to no cooking experience. Also I am only eating 1200 calories a day. I can't even eat veggie burgers anymore I could eat salad...but it just doesnt fill me up. Does anyone have any super easy lunches and or dinners for a gluten free vegetarian...also under 350 calories would help???

Replies

• ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I made yummy lentil taco's using soft corn tortillas. Saute some peppers, onions, throw in some cooked lentils and a little cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper. Serve on a corn tortilla with whatever you like. I topped with a little cheese, avocado, tomato and sour cream. It ended up being very high in protein, fiber, and potassium... I'm sure if I looked it probably had quite a bit more nutrients than that. Also, if you boil your own lentils it can be pretty low sodium too.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    why cant you eat veggie burgers?

now sounds like a good time to learn how to cook. that's what happened to me when i found out i couldnt have wheat
  • imamonster2000
    imamonster2000 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The ones I buy have gluten and you can't get gluten free ones where I shop. Believe me, I would love to learn to cook. I just really do not have the time :/
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    The ones I buy have gluten and you can't get gluten free ones where I shop. Believe me, I would love to learn to cook. I just really do not have the time :/

make your own veggie burgers. it's easy.

beans, egg as a binder, onions, spices. form into a patty. cook BAM veggie burger. it probably takes all of 20 minutes. you can even make a bunch a head of time to freeze and cook when you want

also you can make stews, soups, chili. my vegetarian friends make things like shepherd's pie and casseroles all the time and considering they do it after work and they are eating by 8 it can't take that much time to prep and cook.

you might also want to invest in a crock pot. those will do the cooking while you're out during whatever
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    If you do a Google search, I am sure you can find gobs of recipes that you will want to try. Also, ask your doctor or nutritionist for some since he/she probably has at least a general idea considering they have to know what celiacs can/can't have.
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Have you been tested for celiac? If you are going to be tested then you mustn't exclude gluten before the tests as you need to have the antigen in your blood for the tests to work and once you have cut out gluten your body will probably react even more strongly to it which is hell! (Voice of experience here)

Once all that testing etc is out of the way, if you do need a gluten free diet it can be tricky for vegetarians as most of the processed vegie burgers, saugages, quorn etc contain gluten. I'm afraid that you will need to do a bit of your own cooking and preparation but it doesn't need to be difficult or time-consuming. Tofu, lentils, beans and eggs are all great sources of protein and you can make easy omelettes, burgers, stir fries, curries and casseroles with these. There are loads of recipes and blogs online so it will be worth doing a bit of browsing to find things that appeal to you. If you have a freezer you can make extra and have a stock of your own safe and healthy 'ready meals'.

Try not to be tempted by the 'gluten-free' products such as cakes and cookies as they are usually full of all sorts of stuff you don't want to eat! Gluten free breads and wraps vary considerably and some are very high in fat so take time to read the labels.