CHOCOLATE!!!

Options
i need some help! i know dark chocolate is better for you than normal milk chocolate but i am highly allergic to dark chocolate :( i was wondering if there was any brands or products out there that would satisfy a craving without all the calories

Replies

• Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Cadburys do both milk & a white chocolate version of their hot chocolate options drinks (40 cals per cup). Milky Way bars (98cals), Alpro chocolate desert (110 per pot), Kellogs special K milk chocolate chewy bar (95 cals).
  • LoraleiDean
    LoraleiDean Posts: 100
    Options
    Have you considered carob as a replacement/substitution?
  • jessicabillman77
    jessicabillman77 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Cadburys do both milk & a white chocolate version of their hot chocolate options drinks (40 cals per cup). Milky Way bars (98cals), Alpro chocolate desert (110 per pot), Kellogs special K milk chocolate chewy bar (95 cals).

sounds good :) hopefully they have them at my supermarkets lol
  • jessicabillman77
    Options
    Have you considered carob as a replacement/substitution?

im not sure what that is
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    http://www.gilead.net/health/carob.html - Lol I had to google it too. Oh, well learn something new everyday :)
  • kglading
    kglading Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    What's your take on yogurt covered pretzels? Personally, I think they are fantastic, and that might help your craving!
  • erin4609
    erin4609 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Bam! Sugar free chocolate bars that are sooo easy to make. http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/01/15/three-ingredient-chocolate-bars-1/
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It's not compulsory to eat chocolate!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    i need some help! i know dark chocolate is better for you than normal milk chocolate but i am highly allergic to dark chocolate :( i was wondering if there was any brands or products out there that would satisfy a craving without all the calories

Just out of curiosity what are you allergic to in dark chocolate?
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    It's not compulsory to eat chocolate!

Maybe not for you :smile:
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    First: If your allergy is severe, go have a word with a doctor. Food allergies can be very dangerous, and you shouldn't experiment without knowing what you are doing. If the reaction is on the annoying end rather than the dangerous end though, here's what I'd try:

If you are allergic to dark chocolate but not to light, and it's the actual chocolate that's the problem, it has to be the amount you eat. Try to eat less - for instance, if you can eat a 20 gram bar of light chocolate, about 30% chocolate, that is about 6 grams of cocoa solids. So try to eat 7-8 grams of 70% chocolate - that's about the same amount of cocoa solids.

The real health benefit of dark chocolate is in the concentration: you get more chocolate and more antioxidants and all the good stuff, with less sugar and fat. Dark chocolate also stops the cravings more quickly and efficiently, and you need less of it, and so eat less calories. However, if cutting down on the amount of dark chocolate doesn't help, how about just eating less of the light chocolate? Count the calories, the sugar and fat, and add it to your diet in a way that doesn't ruin your plan. You don't have to give it up completely, just restrict yourself.

Good luck!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    You rang?
  • LaserMum
    LaserMum Posts: 133
    Options
    Hi Jess, Have you tried mindful eating?

It's where you purposefully make yourself aware of all the elements of the chocolate (or whatever food you are eating). Don't rush the process of eating. Smell it before you put it in your mouth - and savour the smell. I always let it start melting on my fingers before putting it in my mouth - that starts to release the taste. Hold the chocolate in your mouth and feel the texture of it. Allow it to melt slowly and concentrate on the feel and taste of it ... slowly.

Eating like this (and you can do it with anything) makes sure that you get the most out of your food sensually.

After I've eaten about 10g of chocolate like this I feel full and can't eat any more - and it lasts a lot longer! Whereas if I just stuff it in my mouth as usual, I could eat a 100g bar with no problems (more really but I don't want to appear greedy!).

There's loads of information on mindfulness and mindful eating on the web. Here's one: http://tinybuddha.com/blog/food-is-my-friend-6-tips-for-mindful-eating/

All the Best!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    i drink "hot coco" aks hot chocolate.

its just coco + hot water + lill touch of milk + sweeteners. its dirt cheap and is like30-40cals for a big one.

I have a few a day.

also you can make healthy chocolate icecream - blend

2 frozen bananas
    150-200g of yogurt depending on the volume
    add coco + 2 splenda

and boom. 500g of soft serve chocolate ice cream. its fricken amazing.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

It's where you purposefully make yourself aware of all the elements of the chocolate (or whatever food you are eating). Don't rush the process of eating. Smell it before you put it in your mouth - and savour the smell. I always let it start melting on my fingers before putting it in my mouth - that starts to release the taste. Hold the chocolate in your mouth and feel the texture of it. Allow it to melt slowly and concentrate on the feel and taste of it ... slowly.

Eating like this (and you can do it with anything) makes sure that you get the most out of your food sensually.

After I've eaten about 10g of chocolate like this I feel full and can't eat any more - and it lasts a lot longer! Whereas if I just stuff it in my mouth as usual, I could eat a 100g bar with no problems (more really but I don't want to appear greedy!).

There's loads of information on mindfulness and mindful eating on the web. Here's one: http://tinybuddha.com/blog/food-is-my-friend-6-tips-for-mindful-eating/

All the Best!

yah, its important to start enjoying the flavour and texture of your food and eat slowly. its easy, especially in front of the tv to just eat without taking the time to enjoy it.
  • AlteredSkates
    AlteredSkates Posts: 123 Member
    Options

Yeah! Isn't dark chocolate just milk chocolate without the milk?
  • jessicabillman77
    Options

im not exactly sure... i think its the richness of it because when i ate it when i was young it made me very nauseous and i vomited a lot.
  • jessicabillman77
    Options

All the Best!

yah, its important to start enjoying the flavour and texture of your food and eat slowly. its easy, especially in front of the tv to just eat without taking the time to enjoy it.

this is what i do when i eat chocolate :) i let it melt in my mouth :) its awesome
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options

Smell it before you put it in your mouth - and savour the smell. I always let it start melting on my fingers before putting it in my mouth - that starts to release the taste. Hold the chocolate in your mouth and feel the texture of it. Allow it to melt slowly and concentrate on the feel and taste of it ... slowly.

emmaturnedon_zps5295b6b1.gif
  • AlteredSkates
    AlteredSkates Posts: 123 Member
    Options

im not exactly sure... i think its the richness of it because when i ate it when i was young it made me very nauseous and i vomited a lot.

Try sugar free soy chocolate.