baked french fries

Options
C12254
C12254 Posts: 198
is there a way to make baked fries taste fried without all the grease?

Replies

• sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I slice mine thin and soak them for an hour in cold water then dry them well. Toss with a tbsp of olive oil and dust with corn starch and spices like garlic salt, onion powder and a bit of basil. Bake @400 for about 20 mins turning half way through. They aren't exactly fried but they are good. There is also a new tfal gadget that deep fries food in a tbsp of oil. I haven't tried it though.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I slice mine thin and soak them for an hour in cold water then dry them well. Toss with a tbsp of olive oil and dust with corn starch and spices like garlic salt, onion powder and a bit of basil. Bake @400 for about 20 mins turning half way through. They aren't exactly fried but they are good. There is also a new tfal gadget that deep fries food in a tbsp of oil. I haven't tried it though.

This gadget you mention intrigued me so I looked it up on Amazon, $180. Guess, I am going to have to live with baked fries.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I like sweet potato fries. Slice sweet potato one way, turn and slice again. So easy! Toss with little oil and salt. I use a baking stone on the 400 degrees and turn once.
  • jojo86xdd
    jojo86xdd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this for a long time. What does bump mean??
  • per9sist8ent
    per9sist8ent Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    "Bump" just means that the topic will keep being 'bumped up' (kept current) and not get lost as more topics are added. New topics go to the 'front of the line,' if you will. Old ones keep getting pushed further and further back, meaning people might never see them.
  • serendipity57
    serendipity57 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have a Phillips Air Fryer... does chips and other" fried" food in less than a tspn of oil FANTABULOUS!!
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this for a long time. What does bump mean??

Bring Up My Post = Bump - it just brings it to the top of the page again so people can see it

Fries -

http://www.fortheloveofcooking.net/2013/02/oven-baked-french-fries.html
  • chrisjathompson
    chrisjathompson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,659 Member
    Options

I will try this.
  • snowboardandasuitcase
    snowboardandasuitcase Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    bump..

I love baked fries, but I wouldn't say no to a magical recipe that can give me that fried taste too!
    Saving for later :)
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    try these bake them they are good
    sweet_potato_julienne_fries_large.jpg
  • techcat10
    techcat10 Posts: 15
    Options
    Sorry this is a little off topic... but how do i "bump" a topic? does one have to do something specific to "bring up a topic" or is it just indicative?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    my baked french fries never come out crunchy. i've tried a million different ways. any tips??
  • twinkfran
    twinkfran Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I put them in a bowl with some low fat cooking oil and give it a good mix with my hands until all the fries are covered, then bake for 20-40 mins depending in thickness (about halfway through i turn them). They are of course not as nice as the real thing but have a def crunch and good golden colour
  • russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    my baked french fries never come out crunchy. i've tried a million different ways. any tips??
    Perhaps you're using the wrong variety of potato? Rooster potatoes (these have a red skin) crisp much better with this method than a generic white (cheapo) potato I bought last week.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Sorry this is a little off topic... but how do i "bump" a topic? does one have to do something specific to "bring up a topic" or is it just indicative?

You just write as a comment "Bump" or anything else you want like "read later", "to remember", etc. some people bump so it will remain in their comments and have it as a resource in the future.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I cut the fries and then drizzle a little bot of olive oil on the fries and "massage" them well with my bare fingers so that the olive oil will coat all the fries. Then I salt them and bake them in pre-heated oven.

Also, this is from cook's illustrated
    http://www.annies-eats.com/2010/02/25/baked-oven-fries/
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you're using the wrong variety of potato? Rooster potatoes (these have a red skin) crisp much better with this method than a generic white (cheapo) potato I bought last week.

true, my red roasted potatoes are usually crunchy. but i want to duplicate the fried in oil type white potato french fries. or sweet potato fries.
  • krouse83
    krouse83 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I LOVE french fries. However I think I love my homemade french fries even more. I use baking potatoes, and then slice them long ways, very very very thin. I then spray a cookie sheet with Pam Olive Oil and place the strips of potatos on the sheet. I sprinkle garlic, salt, onion powder, and parsly on the potatoes, spray them directly with the Pam OO and bake for about 15 minutes. I then flip the potatoes and spray the potatoes again with Pam Olive Oil and bit more garlic and bake for another 10 minutes. Since I slice them really thin, they usually come out very cripsy on the ends. Delicious!