insanity or p90x?

Options
Im tryna lose weight asap. im going to buy it as soon as i can make up my mind...
p90x....... insanity..... i heard about the new insantity but if i dont order something now i never will. help me pretty please..:)

Replies

• pcdoctor01
    pcdoctor01 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    If I was deciding between the two, I'd go with P90X. I wouldn't use a pull up bar but resistance bands instead. They have a classic and lean schedule from what I understand.

http://www.p90xworkoutschedule.org/
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    P90X is primarily a muscle building program while Insanity is primarily a fat building program. Both have pros and cons. P90X requires some gym equipments that you likely don't have on hand and will have to purchase, whereas Insanity requires nothing but a good pair of shoes and an open space. On the other hand, Insanity can be hard on you ankles and knees, particularly if you don't keep your form clean. You can probably use P90X to cut, but everyone I have known who uses is uses it to bulk. I personally prefer Insanity, and have seen some fairly dramatic results in the first two weeks I've been doing it. I haven't had any joint problems (a lot of soreness, particularly in week 1, but nothing out of the ordinary), but I have had a lot of practice maintaining good form through exhaustion.
  • nhradeuce
    nhradeuce Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight fast - neither. You will lose more cutting calories than you will working out.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight fast - neither. You will lose more cutting calories than you will working out.

This.
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    You'll lose inches with insanity. I haven't tried P90X, but there are tons of success stories around here. Clean up your diet and do either. You'll see great results. Bet wishes!
  • fxgs
    fxgs Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    ................while Insanity is primarily a fat building program.

:sad: Darn it!!! I was going to get Insanity because I thought it would help me lose fat not gain fat!!!!!!!!! :wink:
  • tccanzoni
    tccanzoni Posts: 33
    Options
    The results you achieve all depend on your diet. People who bulk from P90X usually are UPPING their caloric intake in order to gain that weight. A HUGE % of your results are from your diet.

Noone can tell you which one program is better for you. You set your own limitations. Any program no matter the intensity can be detremential to your joints, soreness, etc...all based on form, there is no superior to the other.

I have 2 friends, one who was at 190lbs, and is now down to 145...If that doesnt say losing inches from p90x I dont know what does, but you can ask her for yourself if youd like....Another friend of mine is down nearly 30 lbs.

Again, what you want to achieve from a program is really up you, just keep in mind the nutritional aspect.
  • grandevampire
    Options
    I wouldn't use a pull up bar but resistance bands instead.

Why wouldn't you? I find that doing pull-ups, even using a chair, is so much more complete as an exercise than sitting or kneeling and using only a resistance band. If you have the possibility of installing a bar at home, I would HIGHLY recommend it.

I have only tried P90X, and love it. I am halfway through week 9 as of today. I would say it has had little impact on "weightloss", but big impact on my body composition and shape.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    It doesnt matter what you do. These programs work because they get you moving and are pretty intense. In order to do them, the diet is probably also changed otherwise theres the potential of throwing up daily (unless you like that sort of thing).

They work because less calories in and more calories burned. Different people get different results because of the intensity at which they train (they work hard) and/or they are getting all the macro/micronutrients they need for each day.

Prancercise would work for you if you wore a weighted vest and pulled a sled. Just sayin
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    they're practically the same thing, aren't they??
  • resistance_freak
    Options
    The bottom line is you need to move more and eat less to lose weight. Either program will get you moving more if you choose to follow it. Then you just need to cut your calorie intake as well. Do these two things and the inches and pounds WILL come off.

I have done the P90X workouts, and I do feel like they're good workouts. I have not tried the Insanity program so I really cannot compare them. But I've heard a lot of good things about it too.

I don't think you can really go wrong either way, so just give one of them a try! What have you got to lose?
  • abideedum
    abideedum Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Prancercise would work for you if you wore a weighted vest and pulled a sled. Just sayin

LOVE IT ^_^
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    How much you lose, will depend if you follow the diet plans of each program or not.

Insanity, has a much simpler diet plan, using a 40/20/40 macro for fats, protein and carbs.

P90X, has three different macros. One for each month phase. 50/30/20, is just for the first month alone, in f,p,c.

Following Insanity's nutrition plan AND doing the workouts, I lost 25 lbs in 60 days. 5 lbs in the last week alone. You'll lose more, following/adhering to the diet plan, in the second month.

Insanity is an advanced calisthenics program. So no need to worry about weights, except for one optional disc, Upper body weight training, if you plan on buying that optional disk.

P90X, is a whole nother ball of wax, using weights, pullups, etc, in concert with calisthenics. I'm doing a lesser version, CLX (Chalean Extreme) which is comparable. I've lost less weight with CLX, HOWEVER, my body composition has changed considerably. I see definition from fat loss in places, more inches lost, etc. and I've just completed 2 of three months and I've lost 12 lbs on it. The last month is touted as harder, so I expect to lose about 10-15 lbs in the last month, as long as I adhere to the eating plan or modified eating plan (CLX, doesn't use macros in its literature, so, since I started with Insanity, I'm still using its macro, and getting good results with it).
  • Blondetotty
    Options
    It doesnt matter what you do. These programs work because they get you moving and are pretty intense. In order to do them, the diet is probably also changed otherwise theres the potential of throwing up daily (unless you like that sort of thing).

They work because less calories in and more calories burned. Different people get different results because of the intensity at which they train (they work hard) and/or they are getting all the macro/micronutrients they need for each day.

Someone with sense. What he said.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    A great diet is the start to it all. Exercise will assist with toning up and what not. I have done many rounds of p90x and did not bulk but toned up quite well. I also did a hybrid of insanity and p90x. The few workouts of insanity I did do were tough. My form wasn't great at the end due to exhaustion and couple times could feel my ankle or knee
  • djbrink21
    djbrink21 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    When I originally looked at them I went with Insanity due to P90X requiring weights/bands/bar which I didn't want to buy. Insanity is higher impact and can lead to some joint discomfort (I can vouch for this first hand), but IMO gets you moving more for more fat burning than P90X.

On that other hand from my picture you can probably tell I haven't ever finished either, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. :)
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Sounds like I am the only person on this thread who has done both P90X and Insanity (well, I am 3/4 of the way through Insanity right now, but I feel like I can answer the question). Now, the most important thing is diet. You can either follow their diet plan, or do your own thing (I did my own thing).

The correct answer is, of course, the exercise you do. That's the best exercise for you. I personally like P90X more than Insanity, particularly because I enjoy lifting weights. That being said, one of the great things about Insanity is that it requires no equipment, and there is something to be said for that.

Insanity is better for fat burning and running, while P90X is better for your overall fitness level. Insanity has made me faster, but P90X made me stronger, more flexible, have more endurance, etc. You can lose weight when doing P90X, I lost 50 pounds doing it. I have been doing Insanity to lose my last 15, and have lost 10 of those 15 so far. I lost more during P90X because I had much more to lose.

To sum it all up: I think P90X is the better workout program because of the variety of exercises, but Insanity is a great workout, especially if you don't have the money for ALL the stuff you NEED for P90X (weights/bands, pull up bar/bands, yoga mat, push up bars [potentially, I didn't use them, but they are great]), or the room. P90X requires a little more room than Insanity does.

Hope that helps!
  • nhradeuce
    nhradeuce Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You sir, win the internet.