Does it matter that I'm a slow runner?

Options
I've been running/jogging about 5 miles a day, 6x a week, and I feel proud of myself. But I'm averaging about an 11 minute mile. I don't want to run with a buddy because I know I will be out of my league. My runner friends are all giving me tips on how to get faster. But part of me is just ok with running at this pace. Do you think it really makes a difference if I'm running slowly, or should I push myself to be faster?

Replies

• kfitz85
    kfitz85 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That depends. Are you running for fitness or for fun? If you're running for fun, whatever pace you're comfortable is totally fine and healthy. If you're running for fitness, cut down the miles and increase the intensity. You would get a much better workout doubling your speed and running 2 miles instead of 5 for just four days a week.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    It makes no difference whether or not you run fast or slow. I have a friend who is a runner and has been for yeas (she used to run marathons but now likes the 5k's) and her pace is around what yours is. Would she love it if she ran faster? Sure but she is content with the pace that she has.

If you're ok with your pace then don't worry about it. Not everyone is a fast runner or wants to run fast for that matter.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I have been running for about 20 years, and no, it DOES NOT matter what speed you run. I am a slow runner, and I don't care. Do what you enjoy, and you'll still be happily running when you're 80 (if your hips and knees hold up). P.S. when people ask about how fast you are, just say you're a "distance runner." That's the secret handshake for slow ;) and there are plenty of us out there.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better, you can come run circles around me while I go on my daily walk :)
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Run for your goals!! If you want to run faster make a goal and get going, if you are happy and enjoy running at that pace, keep it up!!Do whatever makes you happy and you can stick with.
  • AlohaKeAkua
    Options
    I run the same speed and I seem to think it's been the key to me losing weight! I like to change things up and do random sprints for 30-45 seconds and do inclines. However, the bulk of my cadio is from a "slow run" like you're doing. I've seen drastic differences in myself from it. Keep it up! If you start going faster and you hate it, you might start to want to work out less. Stick to what keeps you going!
  • grammysboy
    grammysboy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better, you can come run circles around me while I go on my daily walk :)

This, and I set my treadmill to 6 (12 minute miles) and am pretty proud that I can do that for 36 minutes, of course not starting to run until I was 54 years old probably has something to do with it.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    nope
  • Leesseebee
    Leesseebee Posts: 216
    Options
    I am a slow runner and I just keep at it-It is my alone time-as most exercise is for me-I go at my own pace and feel quietly proud when I get it done. Get out there and kick butt at any speed!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    your pace only matters if you are trying to win a race. If you are racing/running to enjoy racing/running then run the pace that feels right.
  • dwest1976
    dwest1976 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I just started running regularly about 6 weeks ago, and have been consistently at a pace that is not much faster, mostly around 10 minute miles. I recently tried to increase speed, setting my sights on a half marathon under 2 hrs (perhaps ambitious).

What I found is that 3 9-minute miles kicks my butt much more than 5 10-minute miles. I actually like mixing those in, especially if I am pressed for time.

My novice suggestion would be to mix in a few shorter, faster runs and see if you like it. If you don't, running 5 11-minute miles six days a week is much better exercise than 98% of the population gets, so no worries either way.
  • KailaWalker
    KailaWalker Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Not at all!!! The fact that you're are trying and giving your best at the pace your at is what's going to have you rockin in the future. Don't focus on how fast or slow you go focus on where you are now and give it your best. You will eventually get faster. The key is to not give up :))
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters. I will be happy to get that fast at 5 miles!

If you want to through in some sprint intervals one day a week it could be good for you and potentially increase your speed, but if it doesn't bother you and you enjoy it I see little reason to change.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    A mile is a mile. Speed doesn't matter, as long as you are getting out there. I average about 10:15 per mile, and I'm fine with that. I'm getting faster, but it's a slow process. Every few months, I shave a few seconds off my time. My goal is to get to 9:30, but that will still be considered slow by a lot of standards.

You could throw in a faster, shorter run each week if you wanted. You could also do a longer, slower run. There are tons of training programs out there to increase your speed or ability, if you chose. But don't feel like you have to.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    That depends. Are you running for fitness or for fun? If you're running for fun, whatever pace you're comfortable is totally fine and healthy. If you're running for fitness, cut down the miles and increase the intensity. You would get a much better workout doubling your speed and running 2 miles instead of 5 for just four days a week.

100% absolutely wrong......

To the OP, I would suggest mixing up distances and intensities, if you're looking to build endurance one of your weekly runs should be long(er) and slow(er) and during the week mix the runs up a bit ;but don't try to run 2 miles at 5:30 miles - it's an injury waiting to happen until you've got a lot of miles under your belt and even then if you want to build speed you'd be doing fast 400s or hill repeats.

In addition to your running (6 x a week may be overdoing it a bit too) you should be strength training to build injury resistance, paying particular attention to core, glutes & hips) and cross-training (swim, bike, row etc).

Have fun!
  • mikeatmichael
    mikeatmichael Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    your pace only matters if you are trying to win a race. If you are racing/running to enjoy racing/running then run the pace that feels right.

I agree 100%.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter.

You're lapping everyone on the couch :)
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

100% absolutely wrong......

To the OP, I would suggest mixing up distances and intensities, if you're looking to build endurance one of your weekly runs should be long(er) and slow(er) and during the week mix the runs up a bit ;but don't try to run 2 miles at 5:30 miles - it's an injury waiting to happen until you've got a lot of miles under your belt and even then if you want to build speed you'd be doing fast 400s or hill repeats.

In addition to your running (6 x a week may be overdoing it a bit too) you should be strength training to build injury resistance, paying particular attention to core, glutes & hips) and cross-training (swim, bike, row etc).

Have fun!

This is also my understanding. I am not absolutely sure this true for all people, but supposedly "jogging" (kinda hate that term in some respects) was popularized as exercise because it is the least efficient way to amble along. In other words walkers and faster runners actually burn less calories per mile. I run a pace of about 11:00. I was faster, down below 10, when I finished C25K but as I started running longer routes I settled back to 11 or so. I am happy with it.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter.

It takes a certain amount of calories to move your body 1 mile. If you run that mile in 11 minutes you've burned pretty much the same amount of calories as you would if you'd done that same mile in 8 minutes. The only difference being that it took a slightly longer chunk out of your day.

Either way you're still burning calories, still giving your CV system a workout and getting oxygen flowing around the body.
  • lgreenback
    Options
    Wow, this is all so helpful and interesting! And thanks for the support! I think I'm going to stick with my slow pace for the most part, but mix in a few sprints and the occasional faster run into my routine. Right now this is my only form of exercise, and I think mixing it up occasionally is just a good idea in general.

Thank you so much for the advice and encouragement! Also I love the "distance runner" thing, definitely going to use that.