Windows 8--opinions.

Options
DalekBrittany
DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
I just got a new laptop, which I love, but I am still not sure how I feel about Windows 8. I feel like it isn't very user friendly and seems more like something better suited for a phone or tablet than a PC. I couldn't even figure out how the hell to use the new paint! I had to Google it! :laugh: I am still trying to get used to it. I will say the calendar is really handy though.

I'm just curious, because it seems like people only like every other Windows OS, and could do without the ones in between! Anyone else think that it's not user friendly? Any other opinions?

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I'm annoyed as heck that it took me so long to figure out how to shut down the damn thing.

And I think it's fugly.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I'm annoyed as heck that it took me so long to figure out how to shut down the damn thing.

HAHA, you're not the only one - I had to Google it to find the answer!
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    It is an awful experience on a non-touch based platform. It would be a great OS on a tablet or phone, but it's functionally useless on a desktop or laptop without touch inputs. Even then, I don't know... I'm sticking with Windows 7 for the time being.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the above. I have a touchscreen laptop, and it's ok. Just takes some getting used to. I would detest it on a non touchscreen interface though.
  • tbodega
    tbodega Posts: 186
    Options
    I've used it and have gone back to Windows 7. The basic functions of an OS should be intuitive and everything else should be out of the way. Windows 8 modern interface is ugly and not practical on a standard pc. It should be an optional interface like Media center, but for touchscreens and tablets.
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Horrid, I really dislike it and it looks really unprofessional for business users. Our work put a add-on to it to get the start menu back as well. I do not know why they didn't bring out seperate touchscreen/desktop versions. I like using amouse, it is far quicker and more accurate than a touchscreen, especially with a traditional monitor setup. We would all having aching shoulders and back if we went the touchscreen route.

I bought a laptop with windows 7 to avoid it and hopefully it will last long enough to hop it.
  • dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I purchased a new desktop a few weeks ago with 8 on it. There is a massive learning curve to it, but I'm starting to get the hang of it and I'm liking it pretty good now. Yes, I had to Google quite a few things becuase I couldn't figyure them out on my own and didn't want to watch the included videos. Although, it is designed for a touch screen, but it works just fine with the mouse also. Learning to switch from the "Xbox looking screen" to the "normal" windows looking side was a frustration saver for me. My only issue was the mail program it comes with doesn't allow connectivity to an POP3 mail server and I had to make an Outlook account so I could get my emails. (My two servers don't have IMAP options yet) But, overall, I'm starting to like Windows 8.
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have it on my laptop that I bought at Christmas time. I just keep it on my desktop and I dont really use the "apps" so it doesn't bother me so much. I really only use it to surf the interwebz anyway. Now if I were doing anything else... I'd hate it.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I had a tough time when I 1st got mine, it literally sat next to me on the couch for a month as I used my old comp.
    I started playing with it one night and now I love it. It took a few weeks to get the hang of it.
    There are so many narley features.
    Just mess around with it.
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    I've used it and have gone back to Windows 7. The basic functions of an OS should be intuitive and everything else should be out of the way. Windows 8 modern interface is ugly and not practical on a standard pc. It should be an optional interface like Media center, but for touchscreens and tablets.

I agree. They have some cute backgrounds to spruce it up, but if I personalized it so that only the things I need or want are on my home screen, there would be like 5 tiles and it'd be even more ugly. I can't even figure out how the hell to go back to my settings so I can get this freaking tool bar outta here every time I accidentally swipe my mouse too close to the right side...
  • Ender126
    Ender126 Posts: 44
    Options
    Windows OS always has the same pattern... Good, suck, good, suck, ECT

Just wait until Windows 9 lol

In my opinion Windows 7 was pretty much perfection... Why change perfection SO quick?!?!?
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    Windows OS always has the same pattern... Good, suck, good, suck, ECT

Just wait until Windows 9 lol

In my opinion Windows 7 was pretty much perfection... Why change perfection SO quick?!?!?

Yes! Exactly! Windows 7 was good and extremely user friendly! Unfortunately the laptop we had crapped out and we try to stay away from used or refurb things when it comes to electronics, so we didn't have the option to get 7. -sigh- I miss it.
  • jeslaughter
    jeslaughter Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I purchased a new desktop a few weeks ago with 8 on it. There is a massive learning curve to it, but I'm starting to get the hang of it and I'm liking it pretty good now. Yes, I had to Google quite a few things becuase I couldn't figyure them out on my own and didn't want to watch the included videos. Although, it is designed for a touch screen, but it works just fine with the mouse also. Learning to switch from the "Xbox looking screen" to the "normal" windows looking side was a frustration saver for me. My only issue was the mail program it comes with doesn't allow connectivity to an POP3 mail server and I had to make an Outlook account so I could get my emails. (My two servers don't have IMAP options yet) But, overall, I'm starting to like Windows 8.

I feel the same...my LT was getting to me, I hate Windows 8 but getting used to things on it now...I am having issues with the mail too but use webmail so it works for me....wish I could have gotten Windows 7 thou.
  • shinitaru
    shinitaru Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I tried it out for 6 month then reverted back to good ole, trusty, reliable, familiar Win7. I will wait a while, maybe MS will fix it or maybe they will just abandon it like they did with Millenium & Vista...
  • shinitaru
    Options
    I tried it out for 6 month then reverted back to good ole, trusty, reliable, familiar Win7. I will wait a while, maybe MS will fix it or maybe they will just abandon it like they did with Millennium & Vista...
  • shinitaru
    Options
    oops, srry for the double post
  • UnwrappingCandy
    UnwrappingCandy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I am really happy to see this thread. I have been thinking about buying a new laptop, but everything is coming with Windows 8. My current laptop is working almost as well as when I bought it so I will keep it for now. Maybe Windows 9 will be better.
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    It makes me bang my head against the table. I have used many variations of Windows OS over the year and 8 is by far the the most frustrating to learn (yes there were buggier version and less stable one). I can see where they are trying to go with it, but I if I want a table style interface, I would buy a tablet.

I am a late adopter of new operating systems to begin with, and OS 8 just makes me feel better about waiting.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I hate Windows 8 - find it really disjointed. The only reason I got it on my laptop is becuase Dell was actually charging more for Windows 7 machines at the time.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I hate having to flip back and forth between the tiles or whatever the heck they're called and the 'normal' desktop. It's like having two OS's in one...two completely different setups.

I'll keep it because I'm lazy and don't want to buy/install 7, but if Win9 ends up being an improvement, I'll be all over that in a heartbeat.