Birth Control Suggestions

Options

Replies

• cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have been on many different pills before I found one that worked well for me. I take Cyclen, it is a higher dose pill compared to alesse, but I needed a higher dose. Other pills have caused depression, long bleeding like you mentioned, yeast infections, skipped periods.

I may need to adjust again soon however, because I am now on synthroid and it seems to be acting oddly in combination.
  • heatherk0908
    heatherk0908 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I was on birth control for years (just a generic, can't even remember the name) and I didn't have any issues with it except I couldn't remember to take it. I got the Mirena IUD because last year it would've cost me $900 out of pocket but this year it was covered 100% because of the changes in insurance (you should check in to that). I was nervous but so far have had no issues. I had two normal periouds in Feb and March and then just light spotting in April and May so I am hoping my periods will go away completely soon.

If you are prone to any sort of cysts or anything I wouldn't get an IUD but so far I love mine.
  • heatherk0908
    heatherk0908 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Should also mention I've lost 10 pounds since I got the IUD in February. That was due to hard work and dieting, not due to the IUD itself but it didn't keep me from losing weight or make me gain any.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Myth is there on gaining weight with BC pills. you gain about 15lbs if you do nothing for exercise on it for first year. after that nothing as your body levels with the BC pill. The shots the only one you will gain weight 24/7 with because of how much estrogen they use in it. I am on the pill Previfem have been for 7yrs. No issues, even when I had two major surgeries while on it.

It really depends on the person. I was on the pill for about 10 years when I switched to NuvaRing. I dropped 9 pounds in 2 days. Of course that wasn't actual fat, but retained water. I had a horrible time on NuvaRing while others loved it. When dealing with hormones there is so much we don't know that it's hard to tell how women are going to react to different HBC.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I used to take Orthotricyclen ages ago. Then I switched to Ortho Evra (the once a week patch), because I hated taking a pill every day. Then I switched to NuvaRing when it came out, because I was sick of the sticky residue that I would get around the edges of the patch (and let's face it, once a month is just freaking awesome). I have a reminder set on my phone when to take it out and when to put a new one in. I normally do the standard 3 weeks on, 1 week off cycle (tho my actual TOM is usually only 3-4 VERY light days), unless I have a special even that falls "badly" - then I'll skip my off week. :) I've been on NuvaRing for 10 years now (and on BC for over 16) and LOVE it! :)
  • cjenkins91
    cjenkins91 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Consider yourself lucky that IUD is out! I had the worst time with Mirena, it caused a lot of issues for me. I was almost unable to get pregnant again due to cysts.

Totally agree! i ended up having to have emergency surgery and 2 blood transfusions because of the mirena and now cannot have anymore kids, not saying it'll happen to everyone, but i'm really sorry I ever got it.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Better lighting?
  • chellec23
    chellec23 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have been on Ortho-Tricyclen (sp?) for 3 years. 1 pill a day, absolutely no problems. Regulated my periods (for the most part...stress, eating changes, and antibiotics mess it up here and there) and has minimized pms symptoms. I started these from Planned Parenthood because I couldn't afford going to a regular doctor. Now, still can't afford a regular doctor, so I go through the Health Department where I live now.
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why an IUD is out? If you are in the US Obama Care should cover it. All bc should be covered. At least that's what Kaiser tells me.

Obamacare doesn't cover all birth control, it doesn't cover mine.

The first month it was implemented I went and it was covered, the next month I went and it was regular price. I called my insurance company and she said some were moved to "tier 2" so they weren't covered anymore. Typical political nonsense.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    the Rhythm Method and Prayer.

but seriously...as a smoker >35 i am unable to use any hormone based b/c. i had a copper iud 'installed' about 2 years ago. its my only option. i love that i never have to think about it ever...it took about a year for my body to get used to it...constant cramping and long heavy periods...plus, it was a bit painful when bending/excerciing, etc. i still get heavier periods than normal, but not as bad.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I've got the implant. I was insane for like a month but now I'm fine. Periods are light, no weight gain (note the ticker) and no mood swings after that initial month. I do have an ugly scar on my arm but I scare easier than most so meh. Basically I'm happy with it.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    For birth control pills, the different synthetic hormones they use can have different (beneficial) side effects. Some pills are better at relieving cramps (I am on a generic that targets this), or reducing acne, or lightening flow.

You can use a cheat sheet to find out what combination might be best for you, although every person is different, and you may react differently to various pills than other people might.

(You can find an example of a cheat sheet here for example: http://www.marieclaire.com/health-fitness/news/contraceptive-cheat-sheet)
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    Vasectomy. Worked like a charm (after 5 kids).
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why an IUD is out? If you are in the US Obama Care should cover it. All bc should be covered. At least that's what Kaiser tells me.
    Kaiser lies. All BC is not covered and when I was on the pill, I still had a copay for generic and full price for name brand -- and I have fantastic insurance.

Anyway, all BC pills can cause blood clots. Yaz is not special for that. Do a little better research.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    you cant get into your family doctor until NOVEMBER??

i love Australia!
    That isn't the case with all doctors in the US. Don't judge a country by one person's experience.
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Here's my 2 cents:

I have bipolar disorder and am currently successfully unmedicated, but have to be careful about BC because it can REALLY jack me up!

Had Depo, gained 50lbs in 3 months, only took 1 shot, period was MIA for about 10 months, was severely depressed, hated sex, turned into a raving, fire breathing, severely overweight dragon for about 4 months

Tried the low dose pill (after giving birth to my sons), kept forgetting to take it, tried another BC pill (generic of yaz) had the same issue, was depressed and gained weight (about 15lbs)

Had the Mirena, was awesome, no periods, no emotional side effects (which was huge for me), but I kept spotting every time I had sex and that was pretty annoying! Had it removed (then had my youngest son immediately after removal, so your fertility DEFINITELY returns as soon as it is removed)

Got the Implanon, gained 40lbs after having just lost 30, wreaked havoc on my emotions, had to go back on meds temporarily (which i HATED), got it removed after 5 months

Used condoms, me and hubby both hated that!

Used natural family planning method (pulling out, timing ovulation) worked great for us, but became annoying because of the mess (sorry, TMI)

Just got the Mirena again, no spotting (YAY!) and everything is fine so far...Now, I'm waiting to see if it will affect my weight loss...
  • KaydeForce
    KaydeForce Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Just a warning too, some pills have such low estrogen amounts that if you forget one pill, you're screwed. My sister missed one pill due to being ill and ended up pregnant.
    That should not be a novelty to women who take the pill. Of course missing one pill (or taking it more than 8-10 hours too late) will make you available for pregnancy for the rest of the cycle. Reading the fine print should explain this and your doctor obviously should mention this as well...
    Also: taking antibiotics will counteract your pill, and obviously vomiting or diarrhea within a few hours of taking it will do the same...

Oh no, not the whole cycle! If you read your leaflet you will see you normally need to take a double dose and then the time till safe again is between 2-7 days, depends on when in the cycle you miss it, and what type you are on. :)
    I just got a new pack of my pill and had to check... My leaflet clearly states that you cannot miss a single pill. I'm on a different (German) brand of pill, though... so of course there are many different forms.
    By the way I started out with Diane (which I've seen mentioned here several times) and it made me sick - dose was way too high for me. Also gained a lot of weight (but don't want to put the blame on the pill alone...)
  • KaydeForce
    KaydeForce Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    if all else fails, condoms, or the pull out method.

pull out method: easiest way to gain 20kg. but don't worry, after about 9 months you'll lose four or five all of a sudden.

bahahahahahaha. high 5 girlfriend. its gotta be with someone who has a delicate control over the busting of their nuts.
    I hope you're joking... Small amounts of sperm cells are released even before the man orgasms. So when you "pull out," you might already have impregnated your woman...
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    You are worried about rare blood clots from Yaz, but the death toll from pregnancy in the U.S. is still 16.1 deaths per 100,000 (2011 data) and rising.

I think Mirena is your best choice and you should fight with your insurance company to get it. If you want to avoid hormones, try a combination of condom plus spermicides or a diaphragm. It might be worth it even if you have to pay for it; ultimately it costs the same or less than other methods.
  • gsmithnp
    gsmithnp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Blood clots are a known risk with ALL estrogen-based medications (birth control and menopause hormone-replacement products) and have been since The Pill was developed in the 1960s. Yaz is no different. The risk is higher in women who smoke, are over 35, and who have a personal or family history of clotting disorders. Discuss with your doctor and then decide if its something you want to continue. Don't base your decision solely on scare tactics by "ambulance chaser" attorneys' commercials on TV.

In the US, under Obamacare, only certain forms of birth control are available without a copay, and this varies further with a person's employer. For instance, I work for a Catholic institution. Our insurance will ONLY pay for pills (I think also patch and nuvaring, but not sure) but we have to pay a copay same as any other prescriptions. ANY other form of contraceptive including Implanon, IUDs, tubal ligations, and vasectomies are not covered. In fact, our clinic cannot insert IUDs even for patients who are not on the company insurance. This may change in the future, depending on how litigation goes for religious employers--whether they have to provide contraception for no copay. Plus, not all employers/insurance companies have implemented this provision yet, and some may not consider an IUD a prescription (rather, they consider it a procedure/device).

(Slightly off topic, but the birth control is NOT "free." It is without copay at the pharmacy. However, most of us will have noticed that the copays for our other prescriptions and office visits have increased, as well as deductibles and premiums. Those extra costs are what's paying for your "free" birth control and yearly physicals. Insurance companies do not provide coverage out of the goodness of their hearts; they're in it to make money same as any other buisiness and will increase costs where ever they can in order to make money. If they don't make money, we can't get any of the sevices we need paid for.)