What do you think about your job watching your FB comments?

MissTattoo
MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
We just had a meeting this morning and apparently a few people who are passionate about politics have our company listed publicly. So a few cry babies emailed screen shots to our employer and asked how could we employ such nasty people.

So at the meeting we were told we have to sign a "social media and usage" waiver basically saying we won't slander the company blah blah blah.

The thing is, no one was slandering the company itself. It was just some people who get offended easily deciding to email our company about their hurt feelings over what the employees had said.

To me, as long as you aren't being a racist douche or slandering the company...then who cares. Facebook already makes it possible for everyone on your list to see every photo you like and every status you comment on, but now we have to watch that because other people out there may email your company and say they don't like you liking photos of big boobs? lol Ugh.

Replies

• MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    I was just told this extends to personal blogs too. I asked, "so you can't say I've had a very bad work day." and she just shrugged her shoulders. Awesome.
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Just don't list your employer on Facebook... Problem solved.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    I was just told this extends to personal blogs too. I asked, "so you can't say I've had a very bad work day." and she just shrugged her shoulders. Awesome.

I would start a new profile, I need to vent somehow! They can't force you to add them.
  • Katrioustu
    Katrioustu Posts: 2,461 Member
    My job can't view my FB posts cause I'm not friends with anyone of them. And if they search me, they can only see my profile pic and Timeline Pic. :-/
  • Emisole
    Emisole Posts: 65
    Heh, I'm government. They watch me anyway.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Just don't list your employer on Facebook... Problem solved.

^^^ This dont ever list your work or talk about your work online. Dont even mention you had a crappy day at work.

You may think it's private, but if it is online it is not private. Simple changes or the right knowledge and someone can access all of your information.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Your post is confusing and I don't actually understand what exactly happened.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    this is why i deleted my facebook.

CATCH ME NOW, SUCKAS!! :P
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    The thing is, no one was slandering the company itself. It was just some people who get offended easily deciding to email our company about their hurt feelings over what the employees had said.

Welcome to Corporate America where anyone who is offended by something that does not directly effect them can go cry to HR and get someone in trouble. There have been harassment investigations launched because someone heard something someone said, got offended and filed a complaint.

Bottom line? Don't "like" your Company on FB. Don't friend co-workers on FB and don't friend friends of Co-workers. Set your privacy levels high on your account and just be aware.

I have a FB friend who constantly bashes her boss and company on her FB page which is really NOT cool.

Thank god I am self employed!
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    I'm not employed, but if I was they sure as hell wouldn't have access to my Facebook. No one I work with would either I doubt, unless I was really good friends with them.
    I have 2 FB accounts, one I use all the time with my friends on, one I never use with my family on lol.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    this is why i deleted my facebook.

CATCH ME NOW, SUCKAS!! :P

I'm very close to this, for a variety of reasons. Although I don't know where I'd put all the pictures of my adorable dogs.......
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Last time I checked, the First Amendment hadn't yet been repealed. Time to seek other employment.
  • vkc1978
    vkc1978 Posts: 63 Member
    Honestly, its just a good idea in every case to vent one on one to a good friend when youre unhappy at work, or even at home. Only use the internet to market yourself and your family... Always stay positive, even if you have to make it all up lol
  • rml_16
    Last time I checked, the First Amendment hadn't yet been repealed. Time to seek other employment.
    The First Amendment applies to the government, not private citizens/businesses.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    SO What!!! Do it or get gone, after all, when YOU put something ON THE INTERNET YOU put it OUT for THE WORLD to see. So what's the problem?!!!

Also, when you use a screen name that is NOT your "real" name, how would "they" know it is you? Do you think My name is EDesq or that the sign-up info is "real"...if you Google EDesq NOTHING comes back to ME. When we use the Internet, Cell Phones, Cable... "we" INVITE the world in, that's how it is and was designed to be. SO STOP being NASTY!!!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    I think it is a huge invasion of privacy, if you don't have your employer listed. So don't list your employer. And don't add coworkers. And don't name the company you are complaining about.

Easy peasy.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    My company has a similar policy. They consider anything you have to say about work to be work related, if you mention the company's name. You are also expected to give a "these are not the views of Skynet..." type of disclaimer. I don't agree with the policy 100%, but it is not that big of a deal to me. I figure most people don't care or need to know exactly where I work.
  • EDesq

Freedom of Speech is NOT Unlimited..there is NO such inherent freedom anywhere! EVEN if there were, there are ALWAYS CONSEQUENCES for what one does or say!!!
  • EDesq
    I think it is a huge invasion of privacy, if you don't have your employer listed. So don't list your employer. And don't add coworkers. And don't name the company you are complaining about.

Easy peasy.

No such right in the Constitution...and what we do have has limitations.
  • ldrosophila

If you want to get a new job great, but I think with most companies these days you will find the same problem.
  • ldrosophila

Easy peasy.

No such right in the Constitution...and what we do have has limitations. I wish people would STOP trying to be Lawyers ansd stick to what they KNOW...eating BAD junk and getting fat.

woah touch a little nerve there where did that comment come from?
  • rml_16

Easy peasy.

No such right in the Constitution...and what we do have has limitations. I wish people would STOP trying to be Lawyers ansd stick to what they KNOW...eating BAD junk and getting fat.
    There is not one single mention of the Constitution in what you quoted.

Calm down.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    My husband's place of employment was at a government lab during grad school. All internet activity was monitored. I had a job in Human Resources that stated that everything was monitored. I did not do personal stuff on the computer during work hours, I was too busy working. My husband is also too busy with his job for personal internet use during work hours. His current job does not do that, though.
  • JustJennie1

Freedom of Speech is NOT Unlimited..there is NO such inherent freedom anywhere! EVEN if there were, there are ALWAYS CONSEQUENCES for what one does or say!!!

Yup.

To those people who say it's "not fair", "Crap", or to "find other employment" how would YOU feel as a business owner if an employee who had a bad day/was unhappy with their job/didn't like their boss whatever posted trash on the internet about the company they work for? I'd be pretty upset if it was me. When I worked for a big company did I have bad days and post it? Yes I did and only those people who knew me knew what I was talking about and where I was coming from. Not once did I ever -- nor would I ever now -- say or post anything disparaging about the company. Did I disagree with a lot of the things that went on? Absolutely but as a whole the company is good and I was treated very well there.

It's the internet and you have to realize that what you post -- regardless if it's under an assumed name, or if you do or don't post where you work etc -- the company (and others) can find out who posted things so if you are that concerned then 1) Delete your FB account 2) Don't trash talk your company or 3) If you had a bad day just say "Having a real bad day" and leave it at that.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    That MySpace thing is looking better and better...
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member

Easy peasy.

haha, burn. But it is true, everyone thinks they are an expert. I love when my friends are always telling me their rights when it comes to cops. 'No you can refuse to be searched' they say, and I always tell them to just go right ahead and refuse a search and see what police brutality looks like.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    This is what happens when idiots post pics of themselves peeing in fries, or spitting in ice cream and saying what company they did this at. :) You can thank the idiots for your company's lack of trust in you. As a person who runs a company that had this happen or a company without any blanket to protect me from an idiot doing this very same thing to me I'd be writing up waivers to cover my hind end too. *shrugs*

Like some have already said, do not add coworkers, do not tag your place of employment with idiot photos, and do not slander the company without being utterly generic and having it lead back to them in no way. Or at least have your profile private and try to keep the slander to a minimal. If you owned a company would you want people running around posting (even if it's true) things that make you look bad? Exactly
  • rml_16

Easy peasy.

haha, burn. But it is true, everyone thinks they are an expert. I love when my friends are always telling me their rights when it comes to cops. 'No you can refuse to be searched' they say, and I always tell them to just go right ahead and refuse a search and see what police brutality looks like.
    What "burn"? The quoted text simply says if the OP doesn't like her company's new policy to look for another job.

I'm starting to think lawyers can't read.

And if exercising one's Fourth Amendment rights makes police brutality legal, I don't want to live in this country anymore.

Knowing many police officers and attorneys, I do know the police will usually find cause for a search one way or another if you try to refuse. If they beat me, there will be a lawsuit (though I doubt I'll ever find myself in that situation).
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Cancel FB and you don't have to worry about this!!! I have NEVER had a FB account and I have never had an issue
  • JustJennie1

Easy peasy.

Yea well you CAN refuse to be searched just like if I get pulled over at 5 am when I am driving to the gym and the cop asks me where I am going and where I came from I have the right to not answer the question because it has no bearing on why they pulled me over.
    And if exercising one's Fourth Amendment rights makes police brutality legal, I don't want to live in this country anymore.

Knowing many police officers and attorneys, I do know the police will usually find cause for a search one way or another if you try to refuse. If they beat me, there will be a lawsuit (though I doubt I'll ever find myself in that situation)

^^ Indeed.